Trade: [BOS/CHW] Chris Sale to Boston for Moncada, Kopech, Basabe and Diaz

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
This is when Dombroski strikes and usually he gets the better end of the deal.

It's also no coincidence that the White Sox finally decide to blow it up once the Cubs win the World Series.

So if Cleveland wins game 7 then don't?

ZzM4S.gif

It's a total coincidence. If the Cubs were bad they'd still know now is the time. Just took this long for Hahn's influence to outweigh KW.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
So if Cleveland wins game 7 then don't?

ZzM4S.gif

It's a total coincidence. If the Cubs were bad they'd still know now is the time. Just took this long for Hahn's influence to outweigh KW.

Is this the same Hahn who thought trading for James Shields was a good idea? :laugh:

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Originally Posted by Krisbryantisbest View Post
Just keep scissors away from him.

As for baseball market, there isn't one on the south side.
Beat me too it. The White Sox (my team) are an after thought, so it remains to be seen if he can handle the media spotlight. If anything signs point towards him possibly having a problem with it.

Chicago media is Charmin soft on both sides of town.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Is this the same Hahn who thought trading for James Shields was a good idea? :laugh:

Uh...someone needs to eat innings while they suck, no?

They've been set to rebuild since his "mired in mediocrity" comments in July. Cubs could've been gone in the 1st round and this would be the direction they'd go in.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Uh...someone needs to eat innings while they suck, no?

So that's the spin now? :laugh:

They've been set to rebuild since his "mired in mediocrity" comments in July. Cubs could've been gone in the 1st round and this would be the direction they'd go in.

White Sox had no urgency to trade Sale now. Even though most people believed they should have blown up the entire team last season. The Cubs were already good and it's a bit coincidental that the minute they reach the World Series(much less, win it all), the White Sox finally start tearing it down.

In addition, if they're fully going to rebuild, Quintana should be the next to go. Perhaps with Abreu and Eaton to follow.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
So that's the spin now? :laugh:

White Sox had no urgency to trade Sale now. Even though most people believed they should have blown up the entire team last season. The Cubs were already good and it's a bit coincidental that the minute they reach the World Series(much less, win it all), the White Sox finally start tearing it down.

In addition, if they're fully going to rebuild, Quintana should be the next to go. Perhaps with Abreu and Eaton to follow.
Doesn't he have years of team control? I think he isn't available unless it's a similar return to Sale on account of that.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Doesn't he have years of team control? I think he isn't available unless it's a similar return to Sale on account of that.

4 years left on a bargain basement contract.

2017 28 Chicago White Sox $7,000,000
2018 29 Chicago White Sox $8,850,000
2019 30 Chicago White Sox *$10,500,000 $10.5M Team Option, $1M Buyout
2020 31 Chicago White Sox *$11,500,000 $11.5M Team Option, $1M Buyout

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
4 years left on a bargain basement contract.

2017 28 Chicago White Sox $7,000,000
2018 29 Chicago White Sox $8,850,000
2019 30 Chicago White Sox *$10,500,000 $10.5M Team Option, $1M Buyout
2020 31 Chicago White Sox *$11,500,000 $11.5M Team Option, $1M Buyout

I would imagine he price would be just as high as Sales then.

Nats, heres your pitcher.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Gotta admit I am disappointed

Feels underwhelming ,, Part of that is I don't believe you trade away a young #1 (Especially signed for next 4 years) and not get a young proven MLB roster player

Disappoinint. Hope it works out because this deal if it doesn't work out could set back organization for long time

Hoping it works out but not overly thrilled

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Gotta admit I am disappointed

Feels underwhelming ,, Part of that is I don't believe you trade away a young #1 (Especially signed for next 4 years) and not get a young proven MLB roster player

Disappoinint. Hope it works out because this deal if it doesn't work out could set back organization for long time

Hoping it works out but not overly thrilled

That's ********.

Why would you even want a guy who needs to be on the Opening Day roster and waste service time before this ship is ready to go?

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Maybe it's just me, but I'm still not worried about the Red Sox. I honestly don't believe John Farrell can get the job done with that pitching staff and Cleveland showed that the Red Sox rotation isn't as dominant as they think it is. As well, the four players Boston gave up was an incredibly heavy price to pay. Eventually, it begins to catch up with organizations. There's a reason why the Yankees are in the spot they're in. You just can't consistently sign high priced free agents and trade for high priced players and not have it have a negative impact on your franchise at some point.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So Kopech already has a PED suspension under his belt (50 games)

If he gets caught again its a full season , correct?

This deal is more and more underwhelming

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
That's ********.

Why would you even want a guy who needs to be on the Opening Day roster and waste service time before this ship is ready to go?

Because I know the Sox would be getting MLB talent for trading away our ace and one of the best pitchers in game

Sorry but after numerous failed prospects thru years the "Cant miss" prospect label is just a label and too risky alone for a talent such as Sale

This is a high risk/high reward move with more risk then reward for Sox at this point (A hell of a lot more risk)

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Maybe it's just me, but I'm still not worried about the Red Sox. I honestly don't believe John Farrell can get the job done with that pitching staff and Cleveland showed that the Red Sox rotation isn't as dominant as they think it is. As well, the four players Boston gave up was an incredibly heavy price to pay. Eventually, it begins to catch up with organizations. There's a reason why the Yankees are in the spot they're in. You just can't consistently sign high priced free agents and trade for high priced players and not have it have a negative impact on your franchise at some point.

They're an injury from Pedroia or Xander away from having really questionable infield depth.

Sep 19, 2008
RT @Ken_Rosenthal #Nationals have many ways they can go - Chapman, McCutchen, other trades, etc. Remember, their rotation already was a strength.

Sep 19, 2008
RT @JonHeyman Trea Turner was deal breaker for nats, understandably. Offered giolito, robles and more for Sale. So very good offer.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI

Callis is bullish on Diaz.

Okay, maybe slight mistweet. Maybe thought Benintenti is already graduated?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad