Trade: [BOS/CHW] Chris Sale to Boston for Moncada, Kopech, Basabe and Diaz

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I read that tweet wrong. Thought it was JBJ/Moncada/Kopech + 2

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Good return for the White Sox. Much better than making Bradley the center piece in the deal.

Nats looking like big losers so far this offseason. Will be even worse if they panic and overpay for McCutchen.

All they have to do is shore up their pen and they'll be fine.

If they get say Jansen and then use Giolito and Lopez out of the pen + spot starts (keep their innings down) they'll be fine.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
All they have to do is shore up their pen and they'll be fine.

If they get say Jansen and then use Giolito and Lopez out of the pen + spot starts (keep their innings down) they'll be fine.

They still need an outfielder though. The rotation is fine, but this stings.

Getting Jansen or Chapman is also a big if. If I had to guess I'd say Dodgers keep Jansen and Chapman heads back to New York. But perhaps the Nats will be willing to go all out for one of them now.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
They got a big fish alright. But they didn't get a Turner/Urias player. Moncada certainly could be in that group by the end of 2017. But he's not of Turner or Urias' value at the moment.

Kopech is obviously an outstanding grab too. They got tremendous value.

If he isn't (I totally think he is), then he's the tiniest hair below.

It's all dependent on if Kopech starts, IMO.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Moncada for Turner, Nats say no. Moncada for Urias, Dodgers say no. That's my line of thinking.

He's a notch below for now. But he's got the ability to be right there in short order.

I don't know if the Dodgers say no to that. I honestly lean yes there. The Nats do purely because they're fine at 2B.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Will Red Sox trade starter now? They have Sale, Porcello, Price, Rodriguez, Wright, Pomeranz, Buchholz and E-Rod.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Red Sox rotation wasn't very good last year. Also pretty hard to forecast what Price/Porcello will give you. This is the kind of trade that the Red Sox should've made last summer at the deadline.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Will Red Sox trade starter now? They have Sale, Porcello, Price, Rodriguez, Wright, Pomeranz, Buchholz and E-Rod.

Sale, Procello, Price, Wright, E-Rod/Pomeranz

Flip Buchholz for something else and sign a Cahill or a Wood for the pen.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I don't know if the Dodgers say no to that. I honestly lean yes there. The Nats do purely because they're fine at 2B.

Don't believe they do based on Urias having already shown he can play at the MLB level as a 19 year old. He's younger than Moncada.

Even if all things were equal though, the Dodgers have repeatedly shown in the past they won't trade their truly elite young talent (Puig, Seager, Urias). All 3 of those guys have frequently been mentioned in trades over the past 2 or 3 seasons and the Dodgers scoff at it.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Pomeranz is meh, Buchholz sucks and E-Rod is inconsistent and probably ends up in the pen.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Don't believe they do based on Urias having already shown he can play at the MLB level as a 19 year old. He's younger than Moncada.

Even if all things were equal though, the Dodgers have repeatedly shown in the past then won't trade their truly elite young talent (Puig, Seager, Urias). All 3 of those guys have frequently been mentioned in trades over the past 2 or 3 seasons and the Dodgers scoff at it.

Moncada has a higher ceiling. Whether or not youth is on his side, too, Moncada is a hitter. There's a lot less risk there already.

On top of that, Urias still needs to stretch out significantly. He's going ot top out at maybe 140 this year. Maybe he can throw 200 innings the next.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
I likely have an unhealthy obsession with Trea Turner but I'm not sure I would literally trade him 1-1 for anyone in baseball right now.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Moncada has a higher ceiling. Whether or not youth is on his side, too, Moncada is a hitter. There's a lot less risk there already.

On top of that, Urias still needs to stretch out significantly. He's going ot top out at maybe 140 this year. Maybe he can throw 200 innings the next.

I think the risk with Urias dropped substantially after what he showed this past season. I don't believe there is any way you can say Moncada is less risky at this point.

Urias definitely has work to do to stretch his inning count but that's really not an issue for the Dodgers. As we discussed yesterday, they have too many starters as it is.

Moncada being a position player and Urias being a pitcher really comes down to organizational preference. Both have high ceilings but Urias is further along at a younger age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad