Trade: [BOS/CHW] Chris Sale to Boston for Moncada, Kopech, Basabe and Diaz

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I think the Red Sox got robbed a bit. Sale seems like a dude who's going to have issues if everything doesn't go his way on and off the field, and usually they don't here. There's always some drama. Boston fans have been crowing about Moncada for awhile now and now they seem cool with jettisoning him.

Obviously I don't want the Pirates to trade Cutch, but at least the Nats might start upping their offers.

satbank

Jan 11, 2014
Call me pessimistic but I hope he doesn't end up like a Price/Sandoval situation. I think both are going continue to decline next season.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think the Red Sox got robbed a bit. Sale seems like a dude who's going to have issues if everything doesn't go his way on and off the field, and usually they don't here. There's always some drama. Boston fans have been crowing about Moncada for awhile now and now they seem cool with jettisoning him.

Obviously I don't want the Pirates to trade Cutch, but at least the Nats might start upping their offers.

Considering how the fried chicken experience went, kind of surprised but yet not surprised they'd go for someone who has the potential to be a malcontent.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
And done:

Landing Moncada is HUGE for the White Sox and Kopech is pretty solid as well. Very impressed with Hahn and this deal is way better then what the Nats were offering IMO. I'll take the better everyday player over the better pitcher, especially in our case.

Wow, loving this deal even more now!

Gotta admit I am disappointed

Feels underwhelming ,, Part of that is I don't believe you trade away a young #1 (Especially signed for next 4 years) and not get a young proven MLB roster player

Disappoinint. Hope it works out because this deal if it doesn't work out could set back organization for long time

Hoping it works out but not overly thrilled

Disappointed, seriously?

This is a perfect deal for the White Sox. We moved our best player, who's on a bargain of a deal, for THE best prospect in the game and a top #3 pitching prospect. We weren't going anywhere with Sale and it was about time management/ownership realized we needed to blow it up. You might not like the return cause you would've preferred to land someone like Turner, Bregman, Benintendi, etc but the market dictated otherwise. Hahn wasn't willing to drag this forever and at the same time informed every other GM that we're dead serious about adding young, elite talent, for the future.

I rather see a bottom feeder for the next couple of years while drafting bluechip prospects along the way, adding to the core we currently have, over a team that will crawl their way to a .500 record with Sale as our ace.

Keep in mind that there's more moves to come, meaning we'll be adding more youth while unloading certain veterans. If I'm Hahn, I'm doing everything in my power to entice the Nats with Quintana and possibly Eaton since they lost out on Sale and are looking to upgrade their outfield. If I'm Rizzo, I'd rather give away Robles/Giolito for Q and Eaton instead of McCutchen.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Gotta admit I am disappointed

Feels underwhelming ,, Part of that is I don't believe you trade away a young #1 (Especially signed for next 4 years) and not get a young proven MLB roster player

Disappoinint. Hope it works out because this deal if it doesn't work out could set back organization for long time

Hoping it works out but not overly thrilled

3 years for Sale. And that's a pretty good return.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Considering how the fried chicken experience went, kind of surprised but yet not surprised they'd go for someone who has the potential to be a malcontent.

I just think a guy has to be real toxic to move him on that kind of deal.

Now of course, the Red Sox have show the potential to catch lightning in a bottle for one year, so....

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Pissed the **** Sox got him but whatever. At least the ChSox got the return they wanted and can now actually blow up the team and start fresh. Boston still has some good prospects but Dombo better hope they win a championship within the next 2-3 years.

& my Sale jersey is now vintage.... :|

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I just think a guy has to be real toxic to move him on that kind of deal.

Now of course, the Red Sox have show the potential to catch lightning in a bottle for one year, so....

Or real smart.

How long before Chicago contends again? Say 3 years? Right about the time where Sale could walk for nothing which would be horrible asset management.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Or real smart.

How long before Chicago contends again? Say 3 years? Right about the time where Sale could walk for nothing which would be horrible asset management.

I think it's obvious Chicago couldn't deal with him anymore so yeah that was smart considering the haul they got. The question is does his malcontent issues carry on? Probably not this year, I'd think, at least.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think it's obvious Chicago couldn't deal with him anymore so yeah that was smart considering the haul they got. The question is does his malcontent issues carry on? Probably not this year, I'd think, at least.

Malcontent as in the issue with that kid?

That was beyond stupid. If that was me I'd probably have an issue with it as well. You can't act yourself when there's a freaking kid in the rooms.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Sale also destroyed the teams uniforms before game this year because he threw a hissy fit about throwback jersey (A throwback game that was planned months before with giveaways of jersey to fans in stands)

Sale was toxic in locker room this past year (No one disputes that) but it still should not have hurt his value overall

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

lol no.

They already said no to Robles & Giolito, so what exactly is their reason for upping the offer and going for Cutch? They are in a different league and don't have any reason to make a big move just because Boston did.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
This puts the Red Sox as the class of the East.

I really don't see any team close to them atm.

Cubs VS Red Sox WS is a definite possibility next year.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Indians.

Especially if they land EE. Don't forget half of Indians rotation missed the postseason.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Lest we forget how many people said Boston was winning the AL just about a year ago. Obviously adding Sale makes a big difference but the Rangers are still great, the Stros improved, Yanks will be better, Indians should be the same, Blue Jays & Orioles as well.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Indians, Red Sox, Astros would be my top-3. Crapshoot after that with Rangers leading the pack.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Indians.

Especially if they land EE. Don't forget half of Indians rotation missed the postseason.

I like the Indians, but baring injury the Red Sox rotation is just a bit better now with Sale.

Still, I don't see any team beating the Cubs in seven games, no Homer. Which is why I'm conflicted the Nats didn't add a bit more to get him and actually be on the same level as the world champions, on paper, at least.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Indians, Red Sox, Astros would be my top-3. Crapshoot after that with Rangers leading the pack.
Rangers are not that good. A lot of FA, they overachieve really last season. Waiting to see how they act this winter. As of now, i like M's much better than Rangers.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Rangers are not that good. A lot of FA, they overachieve really last season. Waiting to see how they act this winter. As of now, i like M's much better than Rangers.

Fair point.

I've got Astros winning the division and Rangers right now as 85-win team putting them in the group with Mariners, Jays, O's, Tigers and potentially Yankees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->