Trade: [BOS/CHW] Chris Sale to Boston for Moncada, Kopech, Basabe and Diaz

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
I think the risk with Urias dropped substantially after what he showed this past season. I don't believe there is any way you can say Moncada is less risky at this point.

Urias definitely has work to do to stretch his inning count but that's really not an issue for the Dodgers. As we discussed yesterday, they have too many starters as it is.

Moncada being a position player and Urias being a pitcher really comes down to organizational preference. Both have high ceilings but Urias is further along at a younger age.

Plus he has cool glasses and essentially pitches with one eye closed. He should be a Pittsburgh Pirate.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I think you're making too light of being able to handle an inning load. Plus the inherent risk with pitchers.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I think you're making too light of being able to handle an inning load. Plus the inherent risk with pitchers.

The Dodgers have handled him very carefully. Holding him to 120-150 innings this season is a non-issue for the Dodgers and if Urias handles it well that's yet another major hurdle. Not to mention those limited innings will still be of great use to the team.

I think you're making too light of the fact that Urias is very possibly just 1 year away from being the Dodgers #2 starter at which point he'd still only be 21. Trading a guy like that for a prospect currently behind where he is would be silly for a team looking to compete now.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
The Dodgers have handled him very carefully. Holding him to 120-150 innings this season is a non-issue for the Dodgers and if Urias handles it well that's yet another major hurdle. Not to mention those limited innings will still be of great use to the team.

I think you're making too light of the fact that Urias is very possibly just 1 year away from being the Dodgers #2 starter at which point he'd still only be 21. Trading a guy like that for a prospect currently behind where he is would be silly for a team looking to compete now.

He's not really behind though. Moncada could conceivably be, with his talent, an All-Star 2B next season.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Moncadas a huge piece.

White Sox did well. This trade moved their system from 28th to 15th alone.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
He's not really behind though. Moncada could conceivably be, with his talent, an All-Star 2B next season.

As I stated earlier I think this is coming down to a pitcher vs hitter debate.

Pitchers do inherently have more risk but that doesn't mean you don't hang on to them as elite prospects/young MLBers just because of that risk.

I agree Moncada could be a top flight 2B this year. But I don't think it's any less likely that Urias puts up ace-like numbers albeit in less than a full season's worth of innings.

Every team needs pitching to win. With the Dodgers make-shift rotation last season and heading into this season, I can't imagine they'd be looking to trade a guy who should slot in behind Kershaw for the foreseeable future.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
As I stated earlier I think this is coming down to a pitcher vs hitter debate.

Pitchers do inherently have more risk but that doesn't mean you don't hang on to them as elite prospects/young MLBers just because of that risk.

I agree Moncada could be a top flight 2B this year. But I don't think it's any less likely that Urias puts up ace-like numbers albeit in less than a full season's worth of innings.

Every team needs pitching to win. With the Dodgers make-shift rotation last season and heading into this season, I can't imagine they'd be looking to trade a guy who should slot in behind Kershaw for the foreseeable future.

So, yea, same tier.

sjsharks92

Shark Tank Commander
Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
So, yea, same tier.

I honestly didn't think Urias being a tier above Moncada was even debateable anymore. I was going with that for the sake of argument. Let's not back pedal here on something we clearly won't be agreeing on.

Your entire basis for Moncada being in the same tier as Urias is hitters have less risk. I don't think that's an argument that holds up anymore based on Urias' performance at the MLB level last year. If they were at the same point in their careers, sure. But Urias is younger and exceeded expectations early on at the MLB level.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That's pretty decent top three the Red Sox have now.

Sale's great but that's a lot to give up. Making this move now also makes the Pomeranz trade look even more stupid than it was at the time. At least they kept Benintendi and Devers. Well, they kept them for now but Dombrowski will probably see to that in the next few months.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
That's pretty decent top three the Red Sox have now.

Sale's great but that's a lot to give up. Making this move now also makes the Pomeranz trade look even more stupid than it was at the time. At least they kept Benintendi and Devers. Well, they kept them for now but Dombrowski will probably see to that in the next few months.
Well, at that weak FA market, they could return something for Pomeranz. I doubt that they start with 4 LHP.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Just keep scissors away from him.

As for baseball market, there isn't one on the south side.

Beat me too it. The White Sox (my team) are an after thought, so it remains to be seen if he can handle the media spotlight. If anything signs point towards him possibly having a problem with it.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
This is when Dombroski strikes and usually he gets the better end of the deal.

It's also no coincidence that the White Sox finally decide to blow it up once the Cubs win the World Series.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Well, at that weak FA market, they could return something for Pomeranz. I doubt that they start with 4 LHP.

I'm sure they could return something for him but would it be something good? Not so sure about that.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
And the Red Sox are playing Moncadas salary?

This is turning into robbery. I now have respect for Hahn and what hes doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00