Trade: [BOS/CHW] Chris Sale to Boston for Moncada, Kopech, Basabe and Diaz

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
I give the slight edge to Cleveland in 2017. Red Sox will probably win more in regular season, but there's going to be questions come the playoffs with the rotation top. Sale is an unknown, Price and Porcello have not been good

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Rangers are not that good. A lot of FA, they overachieve really last season. Waiting to see how they act this winter. As of now, i like M's much better than Rangers.

Every year it seems like the Mariners are supposed to be a playoff team. Ill believe it when I see it. The Rangers obviously had a terrible run differential. but this was the 2nd year that happened. Right now I think the Astros would win the west, with the Rangers in 2nd. Kuechel needs to get back on track and McCullers needs to stay off the DL.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Rangers are not that good. A lot of FA, they overachieve really last season. Waiting to see how they act this winter. As of now, i like M's much better than Rangers.

Huh? Their rotation is the same, top 3 catcher in the game, Beltre-Andrus-Odor-Profar/Gallo is a helluva infield and even if they lose Desmond their OF will still be decent. JD will work his magic one way or another and IMO Desmond will end up staying a Ranger.

I'm not seeing how the Mariners would be better.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Tigers have better rotation not long ago and they didn't win it. The playoffs are craprshoot.

Yup.

I mean, the Royals won a WS with a rotation of Cueto-Ventura-Volquez.

Hardly the greatest rotation we've seen, yet they won a title.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yup.

I mean, the Royals won a WS with a rotation of Cueto-Ventura-Volquez.

Hardly the greatest rotation we've seen, yet they won a title.

Yeah but Royals had 4 really good relievers. Their starters only had to go 5.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

The Nats are rumoured to be in on Quintana and I'm certain he can fetch the same kind of return Sale would've demanded. Maybe add Robertson if need be but the difference between Sale and Quintana isn't that far off.

Maybe I'm overthinking here but when they had talks about Sale, Quintana's name must of popped up, gagging his value at the same time. If he has a very similar offer for Quintana and that Boston was all about Sale or bust, Hahn took the deal offered by DD, knowing he can still acquire roughly the same package for a pitcher that Boston didn't want and was probably heading on the block sooner rather then later.

If that's the case and Hahn is able to get Giolito, Robles and Lopez for Quintana+... he'll put this team on the map in a couple of years IMO.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sure having a pitching staff with this kind of quality is great, but it didn't help the Phillies when they had Halladay-Lee-Hamels-Oswalt-Blanton.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
In case you missed it yesterday Yankees GM Cashman compared the Red Sox to the GS Warriors.

from espn.com:

New York Yankees GM Brian Cashman turned to another sport to describe the enormity of the Boston Red Sox's acquisition of All-Star left-hander Chris Sale.

"Boston is the Golden State Warriors of baseball now," Cashman said Tuesday at baseball's winter meetings. "They've got their Durant and Green and Thompson and Curry."

Cashman spoke to New York reporters in a cramped hotel room, while 16 floors down at the Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center, Boston GM Dave Dombrowski had most of the rest of the baseball media listening to his reason for acquiring Sale for a four-prospect package headed by Yoan Moncada.

While Cashman spoke with the White Sox about Sale, he never made a serious run at the lefty, despite the Yankees' need for starting pitching. Cashman's reasoning is the Yankees are not in position to give up their top prospects at this point to add what he described as a finishing piece in Sale.

"It is not a deal that we should be doing at this moment in time, but we're going to get to the point where that is a deal that we will be in play on," Cashman said. "But it is a timing thing."

Full story: http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18223011/new-york-yankees-gm-compares-red-sox-warriors

So today we get this:

15391032_10210441956577927_4315614791331987288_n.jpg

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Sure having a pitching staff with this kind of quality is great, but it didn't help the Phillies when they had Halladay-Lee-Hamels-Oswalt-Blanton.

It kind of does, when you had one of the offenses in the game last year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
In case you missed it yesterday Yankees GM Cashman compared the Red Sox to the GS Warriors.

Ha. I think he's just having some fun. Maybe trying to put some more pressure on them.

That top three in the rotation will be very fun to watch. Rodriguez also wasn't bad after coming back to the majors and I still have faith him.

I'm already out on Pomeranz though. Not only is he not very good but I just hate watching him pitch.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Ha. I think he's just having some fun. Maybe trying to put some more pressure on them.

That top three in the rotation will be very fun to watch. Rodriguez also wasn't bad after coming back to the majors and I still have faith him.

I'm already out on Pomeranz though. Not only is he not very good but I just hate watching him pitch.

Pomeranz is fine, his Red Sox stats are badly inflated by three bad starts. He's probably a high 3's guy in the AL, which I'll take any day of the week, especially if he's their 5th starter.

Ultimately I think they move him to the bullpen though, since they'd be very LHP heavy in that rotation with him and Rodrigez in there, which ultimately is a total waste of the asset they traded for him.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Gotta admit I am disappointed

Feels underwhelming ,, Part of that is I don't believe you trade away a young #1 (Especially signed for next 4 years) and not get a young proven MLB roster player

Disappoinint. Hope it works out because this deal if it doesn't work out could set back organization for long time

Hoping it works out but not overly thrilled

Decided to bump this thread given trade deadline is here and everyone will be watching prospect trades and hoping for a blockbuster (Harper) deal to point out just how much a prospect deal can turn out to be underwhelming no matter how great haul appears or is portrayed

Still time for things to change but thus far this deal has been a major bust for White Sox

Moncada has been disappointment and is struggling , Kopech has been average this year in minors and carries going forward the risk of long suspension for another PED violation , Basabe has been mixed bag in low minors and Diaz absolutely sucks

Meanwhile Sale has been the legit ace/star in Boston as expected

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Decided to bump this thread given trade deadline is here and everyone will be watching prospect trades and hoping for a blockbuster (Harper) deal to point out just how much a prospect deal can turn out to be underwhelming no matter how great haul appears or is portrayed

Still time for things to change but thus far this deal has been a major bust for White Sox

Moncada has been disappointment and is struggling , Kopech has been average this year in minors , Basabe has been mixed bag in low minors and Diaz absolutely sucks

Meanwhile Sale has been the legit ace/star in Boston as expected

at same time the nats offered robles, soto, giolito and lopez. im glad the sox took boston deal even though it meant no sale

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I thought it was Robles alone and that if Robles was in deal other parts wouldn't be included such as Lopez

The Nationals were outbid by the Red Sox in their attempt to acquire Chris Sale, but that wasn’t for lack of trying, as Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post (Twitter links). Remarkably, the Nationals were willing to deal outfielder Victor Robles and both their top young starting pitching prospects, Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez, for Sale. But the White Sox instead opted for the Red Sox’ incredible offer, topped by Yoan Moncadaand Michael Kopech.
Robles, Giolito and Lopez are the Nationals’ top three prospects, according to MLB.com. All three of them rank among the top 40 in baseball and Robles and Giolito rank among the top ten. Robles has earned praise as a five-tool talent with good hitting ability and exceptional speed. Both Giolito and Lopez could make an immediate impact in a big-league rotation, and all three players have enormous upside once they reach the big leagues for good. That the White Sox were able to get one offer this good is incredible in its own right; that they had to leave it on the table because they found one they liked better is even more so.

Could have sworn soto was there too since they werent as high on him compared to robles at first but seems like the 4th one was someone else

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't recall Soto being talked about much if at all

It was Robles + a package of pitchers

I cant recall but I don't think final deal details ever came out just speculation. I also thought Sox were going to have to choose between one of Giolito and Lopez in deal with Robles

Robles + Giolito + lesser parts was what I thought was most talked about package

+ Sox also had had talks about Eaton with Nats and felt they could get Sox package and most of what they wanted (Minus Robles) from Nats in separate non Sale trade so it made more sense to make Sale trade with Red Sox and then a separate non Robles trade with Nats for Eaton

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Can you imagine if the Astros agreed and ended up dealing Bregman plus for Sale. Sale is great but that could meant no Verlander and World Series last season. Glad Luhnow loves his top prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad