Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Brandon Carlo re-signs with Bruins (2 years, $2.85M AAV)

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
1. Dubas has bought UFA years on each of the contracts for the big 3

2. Signing short bridge deals can crush you later on (see: Subban)

Or you can have your top players leave in FA, (Tavares). Don't think it can't happen to your players as well. It's always better to have team control for as long as possible. A bridge and then a long term deal allows for maximum team control and leverage.

Reactions: Idunkmyoreos

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
They have, both Boston and St Louis the cup finalists highest paid players are just over 7M per. Spreading is the key. When you do this, you have quality all throughout your line up. Teams win with 4 lines now, 6D. Sweeney has done a good job ensuring this with the roster he has built. Buy in was key, getting key players signed to team friendly deals. The rest followed.

Timing is the Key ...Boston's highest paid player is not one their top 5-7 players.
Next year they need to resign DeBrusk, and Krug... Krug should be in the $7+ range at a min, and DeBrusk may sign a cheap bridge, but, lucky if he signs a deal similar to Konecny, but, he may see himself as a superior player, and want more.

St Louis is okay this year, but next need to resign Schenn, and Pietrangelo ...that can be an easy $16~18 million for the pair of them vs the $11.5 they are now, not to mention need to resign most of their defense

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
It's good for a bridge but this just pushes the problem down a few years. Short term gain and a real problem long-term. But who knows if he is GM in the future so it's good risk on his part as it could become someone else's problem.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Dont get me wrong, $2.85 is NOT an overpay. I just dont think its a "Lol Sweeney did it again!!" steal like is being suggested.

2.85 is nothing. It may as well be league minimum for a top 4 defenseman. How is that not a fantastic deal?

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
It's good for a bridge but this just pushes the problem down a few years. Short term gain and a real problem long-term. But who knows if he is GM in the future so it's good risk on his part as it could become someone else's problem.

Backes and krejci will be off the books by then for Boston. There is nothing wrong with “pushing it down the road” that’s called planning for the future.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Timing is the Key ...Boston's highest paid player is not one their top 5-7 players.
Next year they need to resign DeBrusk, and Krug... Krug should be in the $7+ range at a min, and DeBrusk may sign a cheap bridge, but, lucky if he signs a deal similar to Konecny, but, he may see himself as a superior player, and want more.

St Louis is okay this year, but next need to resign Schenn, and Pietrangelo ...that can be an easy $16~18 million for the pair of them vs the $11.5 they are now, not to mention need to resign most of their defense
Boston has made it to 3 cups finals with the Bergeron/Chara/Rask core. Both St Louis and Boston have won a cup with their model of no player paid into the 8M's. The rest is all gravy. Boston's model in particular has proven to be very sustainable. I think most people would take this.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Not the point the threat is out there which gives the player more leverage after this contract then right now.

So it's be better to take them to UFA instead of having there rights?

I don't get why Toronto fans (and only Toronto fans) are coming in to this thread and the Macavoy one to try and spin them into bad deals.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I was referring to next off-season. Marleau's cap-hit will be off the books and the Canes only have Foegele and Wallmark as RFAs. Plenty of room to take Backes's last year.

Yeah but the Bruins probably wont need to do it... and definitely not for a 1st round pick lol.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
the deal is only for 2 years. it's not as good as people are saying.

Real astute analysis here....

Carlo gets to prove hes the shutdown D man we all think he is, then we can sign him long term when Krejci and Backes are off the books.

This is a win win here.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

Not my exact ranking, but this is probably how most Bruins fans would rank (in brackets) the top 10 paid players on the team in terms of best players on the Bruins.

$7.25 mil - Krejci (5)
$7 mil - Rask (6)
$6.875 mil - Bergeron (1)
$6.667 mil - Pastrnak (3)
$6.125 mil - Marchand (2)
$6 mil - Backes (lol)
$5.25 mil - Krug (7)
$4.9 mil - McAvoy (4)
$3.2 mil - Coyle (11)
$2.85 mil - Carlo (8)

Really nothing crazy or out of line there other than the albatross Backes contract. DeBrusk and Chara would be the other top 10 guys, with DeBrusk on his ELC and Chara just signing for peanuts at this point.

I'm pretty optimistic about a Krug deal after seeing what a lot of these players signed for.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I'd rather sign McAvoy and Carlo to 8 year deals when they are still RFAs at 23 or 24 than signing them at 26 or 27 and getting stuck with decline years.

Also, how many UFA years do you think Dubas bought? lol.

This is the real point. There will likely be some inflation of the top end of both of these deals when they sign long term, but they still have 6 and 5 years of control over these players, respectively, which is the same as the long term deals the leafs players have signed. The cost certainty isn't there but it would take significant inflation and, probably more importantly, continued positive development, for it to actually hurt. If they are an elite #1 and a shutdown #3, I'm sure Sweeney will be happy to pay them for ages 24-32 at premium rates than from 21-27 and then 28-36.

This is good team building. Let us Bruins fans have it.

Reactions: wintersej

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
So it's be better to take them to UFA instead of having there rights?

I don't get why Toronto fans (and only Toronto fans) are coming in to this thread and the Macavoy one to try and spin them into bad deals.

Hmmmmm actually I have given props to the deals. I think Boston did very well. Not sure where you are coming from.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
so, in 2 years Carlo will want a long term deal that will be in the 7+ range (if it were signed today), so, in 2 years it could easily be 9+, and then the following season, McAvoy will demand more than Carlo because he is better, and ask for 10+
savings are good short term, and GM's dont care either way, because most GM's are short term anyways.

Carlo will never sniff $7 mil

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Even more dumb than an NHL “executive” getting rolled over and abused by his players and their agents over and over again?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
That's slightly lower than I thought the AAV would be. I figured there'd be a "3" in front of it, at least.

I guess offense truly does pay the bills. Because Carlo's better than a sub $3 million defender, but probably just didn't have the raw stats to raise his price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad