Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Brandon Carlo re-signs with Bruins (2 years, $2.85M AAV)

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Meh, as an outsider (Canuck fan) I’ve been pretty impressed with Dubas’s moves for the most part.

If your main problem is trying to fit too many young stars under the cap (and succeeding so far), you’re doing alright.

...But the Carlo deal is pretty sweet for Boston...

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Great cap hit. Bruins can't be upset with this at all. Buys the team more time to fit his next big deal in.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So Boston isn't building a hockey team for this year, so much as they're building a bridge?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
So Boston isn't building a hockey team for this year, so much as they're building a bridge?

As long as the bridge doesn’t end until after David backes contract expires, every bruins fan not only welcomes a bridge but prefers it

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Matthews would never have been available for that number. If I were to compare to Barzal, I would rather lock him up longer but that's just me.

I didn’t think carlo would ever be available for under 4 million yet here we are

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I didn't think Sweeney would only go after 2 years. Thought Carlo would get 4-6 for sure.

It's kind of a compromise. Gives him tools to work on Krug's next contract during the year knowing his expenses...and going more than two years (while it would have been wishful) would have also taken more of the precious cap space.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I didn't think Sweeney would only go after 2 years. Thought Carlo would get 4-6 for sure.

I’m sure Sweeney would have preferred 4-6 years but to get him at that number he had to go less term. Good news is that carlo will either continue his defensive play with no offense and get 4-5 million long term in 2 years anyways with no real significant increase off his current value or he’ll develop an offensive game and require 7-8 million which would make him an unbelievable trade chip or make the bruins the best defense in the league

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Signing Carlo and Mac to these great deals leaves the Bruins looking pretty good. Next up Krug, Coyle and DeBrusk before next July. If he gets them under 15 million that leaves 10 million to play with at the trade deadline. Next year they will say bye to a few guys, Miller, Ritchie maybe Chara, Nordstrom and hopefully Backes somehow and finish off the Seidenberg and Beleskey contracts.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Brandon Carlo has done everything asked of him from the first time he pulled on the spoked B. He's been like a sponge, sucking up knowledge from Chara, and he even transformed from being pretty passive physically, to having a definite snarl after Cassidy told him he had to play meaner. Not many naturally passive guys develop a true mean streak, so kudos to him. As a Bruins fan, I'm happy to have him.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Thinking that every GM in the league signs good deals except for Dubas is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen

Agreed

Not only do we have a lot of talent coming (Sandin, Lily, Moore, Robertson, SDA, Korshkov, Kokkonen, Kral, Bracco, Loponen, etc), because we scout as well as anybody (right now at least) he also managed to sign guys like Kappy, Johnsson, and Kerfoot to solid deals. I fully expect Reilly to sign a reasonable extension, as he has already signed a great deal (and loves being a Leaf) as well as Dermott going forward.

Plus we really go after players overseas (Mikheyev who I think is gonna be a stud, and Kivihalme who I really like as well) add in that everyone is YOUNG, and I feel Dubas is doing very well. He may not be perfect, but he at least admits that he could have handled things a tad better at times, and will only learn.

Now

Boston has been fantastic with contracts, gotta give credit, but some were bridges, and many of the guys who are locked up long term are not spring chickens (not chara old of course) but never the less, I am impressed with how they handle things. I just don't feel people should crap on Dubas like he has not done a damn thing right.

But I fully expect Boston to be a cup contender (or winner) for the next few years, and we have not figured out a way to beat them lol so we should worry about just beating them at least one round.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Agreed

Not only do we have a lot of talent coming (Sandin, Lily, Moore, Robertson, SDA, Korshkov, Kokkonen, Kral, Bracco, Loponen, etc), because we scout as well as anybody (right now at least) he also managed to sign guys like Kappy, Johnsson, and Kerfoot to solid deals. I fully expect Reilly to sign a reasonable extension, as he has already signed a great deal (and loves being a Leaf) as well as Dermott going forward.

Plus we really go after players overseas (Mikheyev who I think is gonna be a stud, and Kivihalme who I really like as well) add in that everyone is YOUNG, and I feel Dubas is doing very well. He may not be perfect, but he at least admits that he could have handled things a tad better at times, and will only learn.

Now

Boston has been fantastic with contracts, gotta give credit, but some were bridges, and many of the guys who are locked up long term are not spring chickens (not chara old of course) but never the less, I am impressed with how they handle things. I just don't feel people should crap on Dubas like he has not done a damn thing right.

But I fully expect Boston to be a cup contender (or winner) for the next few years, and we have not figured out a way to beat them lol so we should worry about just beating them at least one round.

Toronto is in a bit of a tough position. Their kids are undeniably talented and in a vacuum are manageable although I think most everyone feels all three are a bit over-paid. The problem though is that until proven otherwise their kinda chasing those two teams in front of them and it's tough to make up ground when Tampa and Boston are getting some sweetheart deals. Bruins are looking very good for the next 2-3 years at least and Tampa, depending on what happens with Point, look to be perennial contenders.
You can nearly forget the rest of the league when talking about these three teams.

And contracts like Carlo - and McAvoy, Pastrnak, Marchand, Bergeron give the Bruins a lot more flexibility and the ability to keep their team together.

I really like what they did with Carlo and McAvoy as this core should have another few kicks at the can over the next few years and it's as good of a time to go for it before teams like Buffalo, Florida and Detroit start trending up and challenging. As tough as the top of the division is now it might get worse in a few years.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Toronto is in a bit of a tough position. Their kids are undeniably talented and in a vacuum are manageable although I think most everyone feels all three are a bit over-paid. The problem though is that until proven otherwise their kinda chasing those two teams in front of them and it's tough to make up ground when Tampa and Boston are getting some sweetheart deals. Bruins are looking very good for the next 2-3 years at least and Tampa, depending on what happens with Point, look to be perennial contenders.
You can nearly forget the rest of the league when talking about these three teams.

And contracts like Carlo - and McAvoy, Pastrnak, Marchand, Bergeron give the Bruins a lot more flexibility and the ability to keep their team together.

I really like what they did with Carlo and McAvoy as this core should have another few kicks at the can over the next few years and it's as good of a time to go for it before teams like Buffalo, Florida and Detroit start trending up and challenging. As tough as the top of the division is now it might get worse in a few years.

Well said and a very good analysis.

I do agree with us chasing them, and until we prove otherwise, we are in a tough position. I think the contracts we hand out going forward, plus the scouting and development, will be very important and the way we fill out the roster. So far so good, but it will need to be centre stage at all times.

I do like what they did with Carlo and Charlie, terrific players, but it will be interesting to see what happens as the old guard leaves and the new RFA's come on the scene over the next 3-5 years.

But I give a lot of respect to how they have handled contracts for sure, I am impressed.

Tampa and Point though..... that will be tricky.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Well said and a very good analysis.

I do agree with us chasing them, and until we prove otherwise, we are in a tough position. I think the contracts we hand out going forward, plus the scouting and development, will be very important and the way we fill out the roster. So far so good, but it will need to be centre stage at all times.

I do like what they did with Carlo and Charlie, terrific players, but it will be interesting to see what happens as the old guard leaves and the new RFA's come on the scene over the next 3-5 years.

But I give a lot of respect to how they have handled contracts for sure, I am impressed.

Tampa and Point though..... that will be tricky.

It will be interesting in a few years.
I think most of us have a lot less concern with Carlo and McAvoy's next contract than the level that Krejci and Bergeron are playing at in 2-3 years though and whether they'll re-sign or whatever. The Bruins have a lot of young players and still a decent amount of prospects but when Bergeron and Krejci eventually slow down it's going to be tough sledding as it's been such a strength of this core for a long time. We forget how lucky we are to have both. But they survived losing M. Savard - how nice it would've been to have all three with Savvy only making $4M.
Everyone also thought they're defence was going to be in a lot of trouble with Chara slowing down, trading Boychuk and Hamilton, Seidenberg, etc. and that turned out pretty good.

The team really has only 2-3 questions now - what to do with Krug, what to do with Backes, and if they can manage to find a decently impactful 2nd line RWer.

Really happy the kids bought in on bridge contracts to allow this older core to stay together. It's just a great trickle down effect stemming from Bergeron's contract when he never asked for near Toews level money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->