Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Brandon Carlo re-signs with Bruins (2 years, $2.85M AAV)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So you think Carlo is worth #6D type money? Despite being a top 4D since the day he stepped on the ice, and having some of the best shutdown numbers in the league last season?

Points still matter for contracts.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Do people not understand the impact of term?

Dubas' has the Leaf core locked up for 5 more years. Think about how much inflation can happen in that point (as a Bruins fan, you should know better than anyone the value of signing a player at the right time).

Matthews - 5yrs
Tavares - 6yrs
Marner - 6 yrs
Nylander - 5yrs

The only player Boston has signed with that kind of term is Marchand, who is 31.

Sweeney is making hay while the sunshines, and he will probably get undue criticism when in 2-3 years, he has no choice but to up his RFAs at inflated numbers post bridge.

Signing an RFA to an inflated value 5 year term is literally the worst possible option. Once the cap hit finally becomes reasonable (in about 4-5 years) you've got resign a UFA in his prime. The only way a 5 year contract could be palatable is if it was a big discount. In Sweeney's case Carlo and MacAvoy clearly weren't going to sign for cheap for more than 2 and 3 years respectively.

Reactions: Saidin and Pia8988

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Screen Shot 2019-09-17 at 9.31.29 AM.png

Bruins sure have done a good job of spreading out when their big contracts expire. I would expect Coyle and Krug's to be offered 5 year deals to fit into the structure.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
What are the expectations for Krug's next deal?

Really hard to say... I imagine the Bruins would like to bring him around 6.5 long term and his camp is probably asking for closer to 7.5-8. The precedent is there for him to get those numbers but I can't see the Bruins being super comfortable with that.

I never like to be the one to say "he's going to take a hometown discount" but I would not be surprised to Krug take something similar to Marchand's contract - maybe 6.5x8 with a full NMC or something along those lines. I'll take the discount but I want to guarantee I will be here for as long as possible.

Marchand did his sign his contract the year before he was up so I'm hoping now that Charlie and Carlo are out of the way we will hear about Krug soon. Because if they don't resign him I imagine he will end up walking - he's one of the best offensive Dmen to have in the playoffs and the Bruins want to win now.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Dubas Is paying Marner and Matthews top 10 salaries that walk them straight to free agency.

Sweeney is paying two top 4 defenseman a total of 7.75 million a year combined and still controls there rights at the end of it.

McAvoy had zero leverage, it won't be that easy for Boston when his contract expires

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Signing an RFA to an inflated value 5 year term is literally the worst possible option. Once the cap hit finally becomes reasonable (in about 4-5 years) you've got resign a UFA in his prime. The only way a 5 year contract could be palatable is if it was a big discount. In Sweeney's case Carlo and MacAvoy clearly weren't going to sign for cheap for more than 2 and 3 years respectively.

Personally, I think Marner and Matthews will be reasonable as early as this coming season.

Comparing forwards to defence, and short terms to long terms might just be too much for us as a community to really full grasp.

Really hard to say... I imagine the Bruins would like to bring him around 6.5 long term and his camp is probably asking for closer to 7.5-8. The precedent is there for him to get those numbers but I can't see the Bruins being super comfortable with that.

I never like to be the one to say "he's going to take a hometown discount" but I would not be surprised to Krug take something similar to Marchand's contract - maybe 6.5x8 with a full NMC or something along those lines. I'll take the discount but I want to guarantee I will be here for as long as possible.

Marchand did his sign his contract the year before he was up so I'm hoping now that Charlie and Carlo are out of the way we will hear about Krug soon. Because if they don't resign him I imagine he will end up walking - he's one of the best offensive Dmen to have in the playoffs and the Bruins want to win now.

That would be a great deal. I think on the open market, he's worth about 7.5 over 6 years, maybe more. I was very impressed this past season.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Not listed with arb-rights coming off this deal summer of 2021 on capfriendly? I got that one wrong, then. Expected him to have that.

People talk about overpayment/underpayment on contracts. The best defensive defencemen surely must be the underpayed guys.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Personally, I think Marner and Matthews will be reasonable as early as this coming season.

Comparing forwards to defence, and short terms to long terms might just be too much for us as a community to really full grasp.

That would be a great deal. I think on the open market, he's worth about 7.5 over 6 years, maybe more. I was very impressed this past season.

I won't get into Leafs signing here - not the place. Everything may very well work out for them but I will say signing an RFA to a high AAV 5 year deal is definitely fully benefiting the player with little benefit to the team. Would not have been happy to see MacAvoy get that.

And yes it would be but I'm sure I'm wrong on that and just being wishful. I think Krug is going to have a hard time convincing them to pay him too much when MacAvoy is going to need a raise in 3 years and is clearly the more important of the two.

But Krug genuinely seems to love Boston and is really close with a lot of guys on the team (specifically Marchand) who have taken lower AAVs so I wouldn't be surprised to see him follow suit. He just had his first kid, etc so he might value a long term guarantee over a shorter term value. I hope he does he is a fantastic player who brings way more to the team than most of our dumb fans can understand.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
View attachment 255167

Bruins sure have done a good job of spreading out when their big contracts expire. I would expect Coyle and Krug's to be offered 5 year deals to fit into the structure.
They have, both Boston and St Louis the cup finalists highest paid players are just over 7M per. Spreading is the key. When you do this, you have quality all throughout your line up. Teams win with 4 lines now, 6D. Sweeney has done a good job ensuring this with the roster he has built. Buy in was key, getting key players signed to team friendly deals. The rest followed.

Reactions: MetM

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I mean..thats all he deserved on a bridge. I thought he'd get $2.35ish actually.
going on my 37th year as a Bruins season ticket holder and sit in back of net they defend two of the periods, second row on aisle- so got a decent view of their defense and watch Carlo closely

I admit though I should have better knowledge of hockey being around it my entire life but $2.35 M? The good news is you did have two of the three numbers correct.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
McAvoy had zero leverage, it won't be that easy for Boston when his contract expires

he'll still be an RFA though. so they either sign him or get a bunch of draft picks back if he signs an offer sheet.

What happens when Marner and Matthews contracts expire?

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Do people not understand the impact of term?

Dubas' has the Leaf core locked up for 5 more years. Think about how much inflation can happen in that point (as a Bruins fan, you should know better than anyone the value of signing a player at the right time).

Matthews - 5yrs
Tavares - 6yrs
Marner - 6 yrs
Nylander - 5yrs

The only player Boston has signed with that kind of term is Marchand, who is 31.

Sweeney is making hay while the sunshines, and he will probably get undue criticism when in 2-3 years, he has no choice but to up his RFAs at inflated numbers post bridge.

What exactly is that based on? This is just good cap management. In a few years these guys will get big deals, it is just the way many of the teams that are good at managing their cap space do things. There is always a choice if your RFA is asking for more than you can pay, you can trade him. If their is any team in the league that will trade a guy who wants more than they can pay, it is the Bruins. With that being said, the Bruins will pay players when it is their time.

The problems happen when a team signs a few RFA's to half of the entire salary cap and then when it is time to give out contracts to the next batch of RFA's they can't do it and have to start trading people. The Leafs might not have as big of a problem with this as some other teams in my opinion just because they didn't have a group of higher priced vets that are still on the team. If they continue spending like they have it will catch up to them when the rookies they have coming in now are up for their RFA contracts though.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
So basically every GM is good as signing value contracts except for Dubas?

I mean, these are both straight bridge deals, and they're both with defensemen. I don't see how they're at all comparable to the Nylander/Matthews/Marner contracts.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
What exactly is that based on? This is just good cap management. In a few years these guys will get big deals, it is just the way many of the teams that are good at managing their cap space do things. There is always a choice if your RFA is asking for more than you can pay, you can trade him. If their is any team in the league that will trade a guy who wants more than they can pay, it is the Bruins. With that being said, the Bruins will pay players when it is their time.

The problems happen when a team signs a few RFA's to half of the entire salary cap and then when it is time to give out contracts to the next batch of RFA's they can't do it and have to start trading people. The Leafs might not have as big of a problem with this as some other teams in my opinion just because they didn't have a group of higher priced vets that are still on the team. If they continue spending like they have it will catch up to them when the rookies they have coming in now are up for their RFA contracts though.

A recent(ish) example is Subban. Remember when he wanted a long term RFA deal in the ballpark of 6.5 (I think Karlsson was around that hit at that point too), but Montreal went with the shorter term deal and the cap went up. His next contract rocketed up to 9mm.

It's all speculation at this point, we won't truly understand until we say what happens with other contracts and the cap, and we see how McAvoy and Carlo do once there is some turnover in Boston.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I wanted a long term deal, but like McAvoy, this is perfect number for a short term I think. I predict he'll be putting up 20+ points regularly. If he does, we'll have a better idea of what he is and he'll get paid.... if he doesn't.... He'll get paid what 10-15 point top-4 D-men get paid. 24 year old RFA.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Canes will IMO take the Backes contract for a 1st round pick like they did with Marleau, most likely, so that Boston can either re-sign Krug or do something else. Good contract for Carlo.

The Bruins have no reason to do this now.

Backes can be a 4th liner/13th forward this upcoming year then Backes will only have one year left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad