Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Brandon Carlo re-signs with Bruins (2 years, $2.85M AAV)

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Congratulations Bruins fans, I'm happy for you. You got those 2 resigned to very reasonable contracts and though they may get paid much more later, your team contract structure is set up to be able to do it. I love it when teams can keep their players. Good for you guys

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
True. He's carried by his Defensive minded stay at home partner, *checks notes*, Torey Krug.
There's more than just the other defense partner that affects a defenders expected ga/60, Einstein. Don't be so obtuse. Bergeron, Pastrnak and Marchand definitely helped hid cause.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
There's more than just the other defense partner that affects a defenders expected ga/60, Einstein. Don't be so obtuse. Bergeron, Pastrnak and Marchand definitely helped hid cause.

Do you have anything to back up this claim that Carlo only plays with Bergeron on the ice? (who missed 17 games btw)

Rp477

Aug 12, 2006

Except Carlo plays very little with Bergeron's line, Einstein. Check the stats. Chara and McAvoy play with Bergeron's line (even strength) the majority of the time. Carlo and Krug usually line up with Krejci's line.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Well said and a very good analysis.

I do agree with us chasing them, and until we prove otherwise, we are in a tough position. I think the contracts we hand out going forward, plus the scouting and development, will be very important and the way we fill out the roster. So far so good, but it will need to be centre stage at all times.

I do like what they did with Carlo and Charlie, terrific players, but it will be interesting to see what happens as the old guard leaves and the new RFA's come on the scene over the next 3-5 years.

But I give a lot of respect to how they have handled contracts for sure, I am impressed.

Tampa and Point though..... that will be tricky.

And then they get him to fall in line with these other contracts those two teams have been handing out the last few years. Two of the best teams in the league and should be for the next few years are getting their players to buy-in and other teams in The Atlantic are going to be hard-pressed. Not that some of them can't do damage, win the division, whatever, but if the top two teams also have more flexibility, the ability to acquire and keep depth, and more room to overcome contract mistakes - it's just a tough road.
Bruins have $3M dead Cap in Beleskey and Seidenberg coming off next summer and another $6M tied up in Backes that we'll see what happens - $5M in K. Miller and J. Moore whom are 6-8 d-men so there's the possibility of them having another $14M to play with next summer with only Krug and Coyle possibly earning $3M-$4M raises. If Chara comes back it'd probably be for the same money and if he retires it's another $2M.

These guys won't last forever but for the next few years, for as good of a team as they already are, they can still be adding some high-end talent - like Taylor Hall or Roman Josi level talent if they do become UFAs. That's a good position to be in.

Reactions: bme44

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
And then they get him to fall in line with these other contracts those two teams have been handing out the last few years. Two of the best teams in the league and should be for the next few years are getting their players to buy-in and other teams in The Atlantic are going to be hard-pressed. Not that some of them can't do damage, win the division, whatever, but if the top two teams also have more flexibility, the ability to acquire and keep depth, and more room to overcome contract mistakes - it's just a tough road.
Bruins have $3M dead Cap in Beleskey and Seidenberg coming off next summer and another $6M tied up in Backes that we'll see what happens - $5M in K. Miller and J. Moore whom are 6-8 d-men so there's the possibility of them having another $14M to play with next summer with only Krug and Coyle possibly earning $3M-$4M raises. If Chara comes back it'd probably be for the same money and if he retires it's another $2M.

These guys won't last forever but for the next few years, for as good of a team as they already are, they can still be adding some high-end talent - like Taylor Hall or Roman Josi level talent if they do become UFAs. That's a good position to be in.

DeBrusk needs an extension next year as well.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Here is a full Bruins roster for 2020-21 with none of their UFAs signed.

Just bringing back RFAs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Assuming the 84.5m cap put out as an estimation today, Boston would have a 10-12 million to play with to either bring back their own guys (Krug, Coyle) or go after a different fish (Hall?). Or do something more short term and save the $$$ for Barkov for the next year.

They also would have Krejci, Backes and Rask with one year left on their deal if they want to do something crazy. I mean you could very easily have someone give you assets to rent Krejci, re-sign Coyle, and use the change to add Hall. Or pay someone to take Backes and get to keep Krug, too.

After a very boring offseason in Boston, the next couple promise to have a lot of big changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad