Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Brandon Carlo re-signs with Bruins (2 years, $2.85M AAV)

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Sure but in 5 years McAvoy will still have 5 years on his next deal (hypothetically) and all the Toronto guys will be hitting UFA at the same time in their prime (except Tavares of course).

Yes the Bruins could have McAvoy are Carlo for cheaper when they are 25 or 26. But, they will be cheaper at 27 to early 30s.

Bruins will have plenty of space to pay McAvoy and Carlo more when they are 25 or 26 and Krejci, Backes, Chara, Seidenberg, Beleksey, etc are off the books.

I am not saying it's the wrong move, I am more so saying that people are comparing these deals for their AAV. We don't really have a Matthews/Marner type player signing more than a bridge contract so far to compare Dubas too. I think his AAV's are a little high too, but I'm waiting for an elite player to sign something longer than a bridge to really get a feel for the market.

I really hope we can lock up Barzal for more than 3 years, I don't want to be resigning him in his mid-20's post cap inflation, expansion and new US TV deal. I am worried the cap will be up another 8-10 million by then.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Do people not understand the impact of term?

Dubas' has the Leaf core locked up for 5 more years. Think about how much inflation can happen in that point (as a Bruins fan, you should know better than anyone the value of signing a player at the right time).

Matthews - 5yrs
Tavares - 6yrs
Marner - 6 yrs
Nylander - 5yrs

The only player Boston has signed with that kind of term is Marchand, who is 31.

Sweeney is making hay while the sunshines, and he will probably get undue criticism when in 2-3 years, he has no choice but to up his RFAs at inflated numbers post bridge.
And Dubas just decided to inflate his contract post ELC instead.

Tavares: highest UFA contract when signed
Matthews: 2nd highest RFA contract when signed
Marner: 2nd highest winger when signed

All while the trio were 15, 21 and 22 in PPG. Can't use actual point because Matthews keeps getting hurt.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Another spectacular bridge deal. Well under Carlo's value now; he will be paid in a few years and by then the Bruins will have cap space.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
so, in 2 years Carlo will want a long term deal that will be in the 7+ range (if it were signed today), so, in 2 years it could easily be 9+, and then the following season, McAvoy will demand more than Carlo because he is better, and ask for 10+
savings are good short term, and GM's dont care either way, because most GM's are short term anyways.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Agreed, its just rubbing it in peoples faces that thought the Bruins were going to have to pay two firsts to move Backes or trade Krejci and other nonsense that was being said on these boards.

I never saw anyone saying 2 firsts or trading Krecji, and I think they would have had to make those moves if they had locked McAvoy and Carlo up on long term deals. I really thought Carlo would get around 5 years, and McAvoy would sign a 6-8 year deal. Looks like Sweeney is sacrificing long term control for a few more shots with the current core, and no one can blame him after last year.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
And Dubas just decided to inflate his contract post ELC instead.

Tavares: highest UFA contract when signed
Matthews: 2nd highest RFA contract when signed
Marner: 2nd highest winger when signed

All while the trio were 15, 21 and 22 in PPG. Can't use actual point because Matthews keeps getting hurt.

If you could sign them to those deals, would you not?

We need to see what the next top RFA signs for in a non-bridge deal situation before we really have a sense for how those deals look compared to market value. Panarin just signed for Tavares money as well, so obviously marquee 1st line UFAs are worth 11 million with term.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
so, in 2 years Carlo will want a long term deal that will be in the 7+ range (if it were signed today), so, in 2 years it could easily be 9+, and then the following season, McAvoy will demand more than Carlo because he is better, and ask for 10+
savings are good short term, and GM's dont care either way, because most GM's are short term anyways.

Carlo isn't going to be getting $7 million...

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Dubas Is paying Marner and Matthews top 10 salaries that walk them straight to free agency.

Sweeney is paying two top 4 defenseman a total of 7.75 million a year combined and still controls there rights at the end of it.

Matthews: Dubas buying most expensive RFA year, and most expensive UFA year
Marner: Dubas buying most expensive RFA year, and the 2 most expensive UFA years

These bridges aren't buying the most expensive RFA year or any of the most expensive UFA years. It's a downside, but it's still 3-5 years away to deal with it. It just looks like they're going to leave future certainty up in the air until this core of Bergy, Kreijci and Marchy are done, which is fine. But let's not pretend like we can compare these right against eachother.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Ok man. I'm Brandon Carlo's biggest fan but he's averaged 8 points a season for the past two years. You think he's going to get $7m!?

Reactions: BruinLVGA

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

On what planet is a shutdown D like Carlo asking for $7M/year this past season? :laugh:

Show me a comparable.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bruins have everyone signed. They still have PROJECTED CAP SPACE
q.svg
: $1,153,334
No LTIR used. Their highest paid player is at 7.25M. Roster is stacked. Well done by Sweeney

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
The short answer: Yes.

The long answer: Yes. LMFAO
I mean we obviously paid.... like a lot. But our main priority was dodging that year 2 and 3 payout.

All these guys are looking at that TV deal/expansion money and licking their chops.

Nice deals though, I'm not going to come in here and say anything on that.

If you are paying good players good money... and can make it work around them, you dont have a problem. Cap space is great, if you use it on the 'right' guys.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
In 3 years Barkov will be a Bruin. Just my opinion. Bruins will have loads of cap space and he's the perfect guy to replace Bergeron.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Ok man. I'm Brandon Carlo's biggest fan but he's averaged 8 points a season for the past two years. You think he's going to get $7m!?

depends on his value to the team ...personally, i'm old school, and prefer d-men that know how to defend.

in 2 seasons $7mill may be considered an average salary the way a 4 year $5mil deal is considered a steal these days.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Good deal. Carlo and McAvoy to get paid in a few years when Backes/Krejci deals are up.

That's crazy to me. I don't understand why a player would sign off on that. Get the most you can now - don't wait and hope for more in future. Maybe do a bit of a team-friendly deal if you really like the team/city, but don't give a huge discount. You'll never come out a winner.

Crazy stuff. I'm sure Boston fans are happy - i just don't get it from a player's standpoint.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
The players HATE escrow. They might not move the cap up as much as people think

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Do people not understand the impact of term?

Dubas' has the Leaf core locked up for 5 more years. Think about how much inflation can happen in that point (as a Bruins fan, you should know better than anyone the value of signing a player at the right time).

Matthews - 5yrs
Tavares - 6yrs
Marner - 6 yrs
Nylander - 5yrs

The only player Boston has signed with that kind of term is Marchand, who is 31.

Sweeney is making hay while the sunshines, and he will probably get undue criticism when in 2-3 years, he has no choice but to up his RFAs at inflated numbers post bridge.

This. Boston in great shape for now though.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
depends on his value to the team ...personally, i'm old school, and prefer d-men that know how to defend.

in 2 seasons $7mill may be considered an average salary the way a 4 year $5mil deal is considered a steal these days.

In two seasons? Really? I mean, I guess if you think the salary cap is going to go up $15m per year that's realistic. Whatever floats your boat. But note that Chris Johnson reported the salary cap might not rise at all in the next two years. The US TV deal doesn't expire until 2022 -- so unless Carlo holds out for a year, he isn't getting any of that.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Once again I'd have preferred long term but this is a great bridge deal.

The options were either cheap bridge deals or giving something good up to get rid of Backes to sign them to long term deals. Fortunately our cap situation is going to be much better in 2 years and signing them long term shouldn't be a problem at all.

Our defense is stacked once again for so little money. Now to start thinking about Krug...

Reactions: wintersej

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Fantastic job by Sweeney. Carlo is underrated, dude is a beast in his own zone and should only get better.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Once again I'd have preferred long term but this is a great bridge deal.

The options were either cheap bridge deals or giving something good up to get rid of Backes to sign them to long term deals. Fortunately our cap situation is going to be much better in 2 years and signing them long term shouldn't be a problem at all.

Our defense is stacked once again for so little money. Now to start thinking about Krug...

What are the expectations for Krug's next deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad