Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
41uICJum76L.jpg

Tillie Walden is one of the few people I get excited to hear about having a new book out.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Started reading “A Very Stable Genius” by Philip Rucker and Carol Leonnig. Close to 50 pages in so far and I’m at a loss already lmao.

haha yeah , Trump has been good to the book industry. You bang out a quick book with some quotes from people and some behind the scenes action and you have yourself a best seller .

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
haha yeah , Trump has been good to the book industry. You bang out a quick book with some quotes from people and some behind the scenes action and you have yourself a best seller .

And the pace that it moves is pretty nice as well. I’m going to have to revert back to Intelligence after this :laugh:

Reactions: halincandenza

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Love this book.

"Mr. Suttree in what year did your greatuncle Jeffrey pass away?

It was in 1884.

Did he die by natural causes?

No sir.

And what were the circumstances surrounding his death.

He was taking part in a public function when the platform gave way.

Our information is that he was hanged for a homicide.

Yessir."

Yeah, it's great so far. His funniest book. Gene Harrogate is a hilarious character. I'm a big fan of McCarthy.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
277412.jpg

A gifted song writer with a well written autobiography ( 'like drilling an artesian well into the impermeable bedrock of the past').

Has rooms full of books, keeps all of the ones he's read back to the 'dogeared paperbacks' of grammar school.

There's a hint of the origin of his nickname on the cover of the book.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I'm in the process of reading this kinda heavy, time consuming Will book.. but I'm walking thru the public library and see this graphic novel. It's a moronic habit, but I can't resist anything He-Man. So now I'm simultaneously reading this..

61pTMPb5IQL.jpg

Reactions: halincandenza

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
how is it so far ?

I'm kinda neutral on it so far (I'm about 50 pages in). Basically Will starts by linking modern Conservatism to the philosophy of Founding Fathers.. individual, innate natural rights etc. Nothing really new or especially insightful (so far). But I'll see.

I find that both the Left & Right basically agree on the legitimacy of natural rights, that's not the philosophic divide. I think political divide between modern Conservatives vs Progressives comes down to a basic (gut, not intellectual) question. Do u believe life/society was better in previous generations & should be conserved, or was society worse, & progressivism is required to fix our ancestors' flaws. And some of our response to this question is just our innate individual personality/hard wiring. We ultimately can't help if we're Conservative or Leftist (?) It's a relatively (& necessary) balance (people of tradition vs people of change) baked in to the human condition..

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
The Mueller Report

Even with redactions Volume I was still insightful (Personally Volume I is all that I was interested in). Volume II so far is full of prior knowledge (3 years of press reporting) outside of some material that wasn't redacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad