Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
71bpvItsWCL.jpg

Along with Suttree. Just about done with both.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I've had a lifelong fascination with Easter Island. I'm reading this one simultaneously w/my Columbus book.. First part has addressed/challenged some previous theories on the island's catastrophic deforestation.. Good so far.
51MD3ER3w-L.jpg

Reactions: Chili

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
12040378._UY400_SS400_.jpg

Author specifically focuses on Columbus' religious motivation for his trip(s) to the New World..
Read a book on Columbus a few years ago (which I recommend): Columbus: The Four Voyages by Laurence Bergreen. Interesting at one point on one of the voyages their ship was shipwrecked and stranded for months (somewhat like Franklin in the North). Because of the genocide on Hispaniola there are some dark parts of the book. Noticed that some states have renamed Columbus Day to Indigenous People's Day. A lot of stuff we didn't get in school.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
I recommend): Columbus: The Four Voyages by Laurence Bergreen.. Noticed that some states have renamed Columbus Day to Indigenous People's Day. A lot of stuff we didn't get in school.

yeah, I also read it a couple years back and liked it. I'll (pointlessly) ask people from time to time if they're aware that Columbus made 4 round trips to the New World, and the answer is almost universally 'no'. 'Four Voyages' basically did a good job in titling & story telling for the complete story.
Columbus is definitely a polarizing historical figure. For a long time I assumed it was a recent development, driven by political correctness & cultural Marxism. But I read another good book America Discovers Columbus (Claudia Bushman), that chronicles how he has continuously fallen in & out of favor w/American percections. (At one point during a phase of anti-Catholic bigotry, Columbus was viewed as too much of a Catholic evangelist to be an American hero, etc.) I'm fascinated by his life, good and bad. And it's hard for me to think of many ppl w/more direct, individual impact on the current Western world paradigm of the last 550 years..

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Monty%2BPython%2BSpeaks.jpg

This book is probably only for Python fans including the naughty bits. 5 of the 6 Pythons reflecting on the troupe as well as others who were closely involved. Needed something light after finishing Chaplin: His Life and Art (which was l o n g) and Robin which is sad at the end. Both very good books though.

Reactions: Babe Ruth

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I started Crimes & Punishment last week and while it's certainly good, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it for me to read these long pieces of classic fiction that are extremely wordy when I could read like 4 shorter mystery novels within the same time period.

Probably will be my last classic for the forseeable future.

Reactions: Amerika

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Lincolns-War-387.jpg

Good read so far.. I bought my copy directly from the publisher so it's a really crisp, pristine softcover. They also threw in a couple free bookmarks :x):

Reactions: End of Line

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
ECA0045F-EA98-4321-B824-EE482CC145F8.jpeg

To the poster above me, there’s so much to The American Civil War that even Shelby Foote didn’t cover everything in his 3 part series about said war.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
View attachment 341383

To the poster above me, there’s so much to The American Civil War that even Shelby Foote didn’t cover everything in his 3 part series about said war.

Amen. I was taken to Gettysburg when I was 5 years old and been hooked ever since.. one of the first 'adult' things I did after graduating high school, took a trip thru the major sites.. Virginia to Corinth and Vicksburg Mississippi to Stone Mountain.. and points in between. This was in the pre-internet era so I was just kinda showing up and relying on the advice of locals for ideas on cool sites to see..

Reactions: End of Line

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I have ordered Thomas Mann's Death in Venice which I will read upon delivery. Outside of that, I think I may be going on a streak of re-reads. Here is the first one:

967033116.0.x.1.jpg

What a great f***ing cover too.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Amen. I was taken to Gettysburg when I was 5 years old and been hooked ever since.. one of the first 'adult' things I did after graduating high school, took a trip thru the major sites.. Virginia to Corinth and Vicksburg Mississippi to Stone Mountain.. and points in between. This was in the pre-internet era so I was just kinda showing up and relying on the advice of locals for ideas on cool sites to see..

I took a college level course my junior year in HS and it was dubbed "early US history" on the class fill out or whatever you call (currently buzzed lmao). The entire 2nd semester covered the US Civil War and now, 12 years later when I talk or overhear people talking about the US Civil War it's incredibly ignorant, only because I had the chance to take that class. Funny enough, that summer after my junior year I went on vacation to Charleston, South Carolina. Looking back and I think to myself what are the odds? Ended up going on vacation in of the epicenters lol.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
I have ordered Thomas Mann's Death in Venice which I will read upon delivery. Outside of that, I think I may be going on a streak of re-reads. Here is the first one:

967033116.0.x.1.jpg

What a great f***ing cover too.

Right on! Tropic of cancer is my favourite book ever. Currently reading the rosy crucifixion - sexus right now

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
just finished Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse. I finished the main part about two weeks ago but there are three short stories at the end that I was lagging on. I thought the whole thing was well done, but if I hadn't gotten rolling on it, I could see myself dropping it in the first 100~ pages. It's pretty introspective and I'm not totally sure what the author was trying to get across, but it made sense I suppose. cool to see Thomas Mann mentioned in here bc I think a character in the book is based on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad