Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I've just started Lisa Taddeo's Three Women, that'll be book 90 this year.

I've cut my time on HF a lot but I'd be happy to take part in a book club here.

Nothing wrong with cutting down on internet time. 90 books is a lot. Going to post your favs again this year ?

I have that book on my kobo. Plan on reading it this year as well.

I have the idiot waiting on my shelf as well (are we the same person ? Haha). We will get a book club going in 2020. :)

Reactions: GB

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Nothing wrong with cutting down on internet time. 90 books is a lot. Going to post your favs again this year ?
Don't forget your annual ranking. :teach:

Yes, there'll be a list of my books sometime in January.

I have the idiot waiting on my shelf as well (are we the same person ? Haha).

This is a great sentence out of context.

I've got quite a bit of Dostoevsky on my shelf, and some Tolstoy too. I'd love to read at least some of it this year but I probably won't have time. If we do a book club we should probably start with something shorter than The Idiot, I think our first attempt wasn't helped by picking The Tin Drum.

Reactions: halincandenza

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51%2BWEx%2BYLHL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last book of the year . This makes for 75 books this year, which is lower than past years, but all good, read some gems this year !

what is everyone’s favourite book they read in 2019?

my favourite & what I think is the most thought provoking book of the year is “the shallows : what the internet is doing to our brains” by Nicholas Carr . Like all powerful books it actually made me change my life.

4148C51GVhL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

pumped for the books that lay ahead in 2020. Hope to do some book clubs with you guys , girls(?) this year.

Really enjoy coming to this thread and seeing what everyone is reading all the time. I find a lot of good books through this thread - so thanks.

Going to step off the internet until the new year. See ya’s then!

happy holidays.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili and GB

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm reading another collection of short stories, Some Trick by Helen DeWitt

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
img_1889.jpg

An account based on the real experiences of an 1830s sailor. In the pre-Panama Canal days, the author sailed as a crew member from the East Coast, around South America, and on to California.
I'm about 25 pages in.. unfortunate dude got sea sick his first night sailing..

Reactions: Chili

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Just finished the last book of David Peace's Red Riding Quartet. Spread them out over the past year because it is dark, nasty stuff. Do recommend reading. Don't recommend binging.

There's a beauty in the ugliness. Peace's writing is almost musical, poetic. Staccato like James Elroy. Not for everyone but great if you're on its wavelength.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
81%2Bl6mVJaUL.jpg

Good read, if you're interested in the life and career of Rod Serling..

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm currently reading Ian McEwan's novella on the Breixit mess, Cockroach.

Reactions: JMCx4

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Going for something of a change-of-pace, so it will likely be a police procedural, Peter Robinson's Careless Love.

Reactions: halincandenza

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
tarzan3.jpg

I'm reading more used copies of the old 8os 'V' series. Brief, entertaining sci-fi..

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
ebook-download-the-origin-of-evil-spirits-the-reception-of-genesis-614-in-early-jewish-literature-pdf-file-1-638.jpg

I'm still reading my 'V' sci-fi.. But thought this title looked interesting. I'm about 50 pages in, its kinda esoteric bcuz it's thoroughly focused on essentially just 4 Biblical passages.. And how they shaped (early Jewish) belief in evil as 'demonic affliction'. Interesting, deep subject matter, but it feels like I'm reading a textbook (or required reading) for a Biblical archeology student.. Dry reading for a layman like myself. I might not be the intended audience.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
91Di2c9pI6L.jpg

I've had a life-long fascination with the Lost Colony.. and have visited & worked in the Outer Banks many times over the years. Every couple years I'll read (or watch) something on it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->