Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
71qCbKdRNtL.jpg

Have way too many books on the go; but I picked this up yesterday and started it because it was so short . Great little book about Icelandic Vikings discovering North America centuries before Christopher Columbus.

rocked by storms, disease and navigational mishaps some men survived the Atlantic Ocean and passed down this these stories of the first Europeans to discover North America and talk, trade and wage war with the Native Americans .

Edit - finished . Great book.
I saw a good documentary on this topic. PBS: Nature if I recall correctly. About an hour long and a fairly recent release.

Reactions: Thucydides

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I saw a good documentary on this topic (Vinland sagas). PBS: Nature if I recall correctly. About an hour long and a fairly recent release.
Do you remember if the documentary talked about the Vinland Map ?
It looks like that map was featured on the cover of this saga book.. and to me, it's one of the funniest aspects of our Viking understanding. Map was bought by Yale, & unveiled in the mid 60s, and was an instant game changer bcuz it seemed to secure Leif Erikson's historical legacy. But the map was instantly questioned, and just recently was finally proven a fraud (chemical testing of it's ink). The positive takeaway is the fake map really put Erikson in the national consciousness.. and Yale academia got played.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016

Guess this would qualify as historical fiction.. a story centered around the true historical figure, Luis de Santangel (a Jewish converso who helped finance Columbus' first voyage). De Santangel is working to mitigate the damage of the Spanish Inquisition, while also getting to know Columbus, & advocate for his new route to Asia. Author is creating an interesting, personal picture early in it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad