Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I can only avoid reading fiction for so long so back to it, started a Poirot book. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, I've for sure seen this one on TV multiple times but long ago enough to have completely forgotten the plot.

Babe Ruth

Proud member of the precariat working class.
Feb 2, 2016
The term 'Yankee' seems like a quaint, and outdated, pejorative.. but this book does a good job tying together the historical and contemporary influence of Yankees.. (I think current cultural transformation of Northern Virginia would be a good example..)
Anyways.. good, quick read so far. Also thought the maniacal looking pics of Bush Jr. & Hillary were a funny touch..

51gtrVs4b1L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: halincandenza

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
41cy-c5jCFL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Author (Horwitz) recreates a famous 19th century trip thru the South. Like his inspiration, he hopes to give an objective accounting of Southerners.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
9780671637187-us.jpg

Just starting the book. Good memory retelling his childhood. His first close call was when he was eight, fell in a deep trench and was drowning. Was pulled out by another kid who couldn't swim. Kirk sent money to him for many years to thank him.

Was a fan of his movies.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
DIG011809_1._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

I remember watching (& liking) Adventure Time 5 or 6 years ago. So when I saw a used copy of this graphic novel, picked it up for supplemental reading.. it's cool when u share some reading/pop cultural interests with your kids.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
51G1EqfwiqL._SY445_QL70_ML2_.jpg

“Science is more than a body of knowledge, it is a way of thinking. I have a foreboding of an America in my children’s or grandchildren’s time- when the USA is a service & information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what’s true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness.”

I think this book might be important due to the weird timeline the world is currently in, haha .

Sagan is one smart cookie.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
51S85p%2Bq5BL._SX418_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Some text & theories.. but mostly cool pictures & diagrams. Large format hardcover, gives your wrists a workout..

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
What did you think?

I got about 140 pages into it, and I’ve lost a bit of interest. Nothing is happening. The writing is good though. Might start another book, and pick away at this. Maybe not the right time to read it.

have you read it before ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->