Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
511cli9FyEL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

About 60% through this one. Excellent book.

Robert Caro is a master.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Story: In English class in high school, we had to write a 25-page book report by the end of the year that would serve as half of our final grade for the class. I, in my infinite wisdom, picked Lonesone Dove, figuring that it was so long that I wouldn't have any trouble writing 25 pages about it. I realized maybe halfway through, probably around early Spring, that it would take me forever to find in the book where I read things and, thus, very hard to write such a detailed book report on. It's not like you could pull up a search on a paperback, at least not in those days. At what felt like the last minute, I switched to Hemmingway's The Old Man and the Sea because it's only 127 pages, which I could finish on time and would be a lot easier to navigate during the report writing process. I'm sure that the teacher was not happy that I picked such a short book, but I did what I had to do. I still finished Lonesome Dove by the end of the year, just on my own time and without having to write a book report on it. I loved it. I should re-read it one of these days (and watch the excellent mini-series again).

Last edited:
Reactions: halincandenza

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Story: In English class in high school, we had to write a 25-page book report by the end of the year that would serve as half of our final grade for the class. I, in my infinite wisdom, picked Lonesone Dove, figuring that it was so long that I wouldn't have any trouble writing 25 pages about it. I realized maybe halfway through, probably around early Spring, that it would take me forever to find in the book where I read things and, thus, very hard to write such a detailed book report on. It's not like you could pull up a search on a paperback, at least not in those days. At what felt like the last minute, I switched to Hemmingway's The Old Man and the Sea because it's only 127 pages, which I could finish on time and would be a lot easier to navigate during the report writing process. I'm sure that the teacher was not happy that I picked such a short book, but I did what I had to do. I still finished Lonesome Dove by the end of the year, just on my own time and without having to write a book report on it. I loved it. I should re-read it one of these days (and watch the excellent mini-series again).

I’m about halfway through this book and it is excellent . It is going to be in my top 5 favourite books, ever. I’ve downloaded the mini series . I want to get a little further along before I watch the first episode .

Reactions: Osprey

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
%7BE4BE816F-B50D-4134-9737-64C84FEFA358%7DImg400.jpg

Good read so far (about 35 pages in)..
I know this is sort of a dated meme, but.. reminding me I still dislike yuppies.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
Not a book, but some nostalgic reading material I recently bought.. old issue of the TurboGrafx magazine. These industry mags were valuable in the days before online gaming tutorials.. Most of my gaming ended with the demise of the 16 bit era.

TURBOPLAY-Magazine-April-May-1991-91-TG-CD-Last.jpg

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
9780374537449_FC.jpg

maybe this is old news to you - but if you’re in North America and you like to buy physical copies of books check out bookoutlet.ca or .com depending on your country . I recently bought 10 books for $52 bucks . All brand new, a few of them hardcover . Crazy deals. They also have a decent points system .

Last edited:
Reactions: Chili

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
9780374537449_FC.jpg

maybe this is old news to you - but if you’re in North America and you like to buy physical copies of books check out bookoutlet.ca or .com depending on your country . I recently bought 10 books for $52 bucks . All brand new, a few of them hardcover . Crazy deals. They also have a decent points system .
Good prices, new condition, good selection, prompt delivery. I`ve bought quite a few books there. Including one I`m reading now: Kennedy The Classic Biography - Ted Sorensen.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Good prices, new condition, good selection, prompt delivery. I`ve bought quite a few books there. Including one I`m reading now: Kennedy The Classic Biography - Ted Sorensen.

Right ?

I’ve just discovered bookOutlet in the last month or so , and have placed 2 orders. It’s better than Christmas waiting for that box to arrive . I need to calm down though , the pile is getting to be too much.

how’s the Kennedy bio?

Reactions: Chili

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Right ?

I’ve just discovered bookOutlet in the last month or so , and have placed 2 orders. It’s better than Christmas waiting for that box to arrive . I need to calm down though , the pile is getting to be too much.

how’s the Kennedy bio?
I hear you, I have a stack of books to read.

I find JFK and his presidency interesting, only remember reading one book previously (Brothers-David Talbot), which was very good.

This JFK book is heavy reading for me. Find it interesting though to see all that goes into an election from the campaigning end (a lot of speeches in a lot of places) to dealing with the many ongoing issues in governing and facing the opposition at every turn. The author wrote that this is the book he believed JFK would have written about his time in office. It's written from the viewpoint of someone close to him (Ted Sorensen was an advisor and helped write many of JFK's speeches). Interesting to read what went into major decisions and crisis management. Haven't got to the Cuban missile crisis yet.

Most of it is political, but there have been some personal notes: JFK read 1200 words a minute, which helped him keep up to date with what was being said in the press. He liked to read books, especially history, biography, current events. He also liked to read Ian Fleming novels. One thing I found interesting was that he considered himself the president of not just the current population but those to come in the future.

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I hear you, I have a stack of books to read.

I find JFK and his presidency interesting, only remember reading one book previously (Brothers-David Talbot), which was very good.

This JFK book is heavy reading for me. Find it interesting though to see all that goes into an election from the campaigning end (a lot of speeches in a lot of places) to dealing with the many ongoing issues in governing and facing the opposition at every turn. The author wrote that this is the book he believed JFK would have written about his time in office. It's written from the viewpoint of someone close to him (Ted Sorensen was an advisor and helped write many of JFK's speeches). Interesting to read what went into major decisions and crisis management. Haven't got to the Cuban missile crisis yet.

Most of it is political, but there have been some personal notes: JFK read 1200 words a minute, which helped him keep up to date with what was being said in the press. He liked to read books, especially history, biography, current events. He also liked to read Ian Fleming novels. One thing I found interesting was that he considered himself the president of not just the current population but those to come in the future.

im trying to read all the presidential bios . Is this the one to read on Kennedy?

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
im trying to read all the presidential bios . Is this the one to read on Kennedy?
Ì may look for a better biography myself. This book is more of a chronological review of the 11 years Ted Sorensen spent with JFK, his observations of his boss who he clearly held in the highest regard. I like the author`s writing style but he is admittingly biased in his views. He was close by and involved in the major decisions of the time, so the book does provide alot of insight...but it is long.

Apparently there are approx. 40k books on JFK? I`d be interesting to know of a good biography as well. The Brothers book I mentioned above and recommend deals alot with Nov 22, 1963, especially with RFK`s reaction and search for the truth.

Edit: Some suggestions here:

The Best Biographies of John F. Kennedy

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Could not for the life of me get through Kingsley Amis' Lucky Jim. It's humourous, probably deserves its reputation, but I found most of the characters intolerable even in a comic guise. Third try,so three strikes and out for me.

Think I will try Gunter Grass' Dog Years next.

Babe Ruth

Feb 2, 2016
heroes-comics-drew-friedman.jpg

Drew Friedman is one of my favorite Mad artists.. this is a nice, hardcover collection of Friedman's portraits (with brief, accompanying bios).

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009

I finally finished lonesome dove today. What a beautiful book. 5 stars. I’m going to read it again in a few years and a few years after that. Top 3 book for me.

Reactions: Osprey and Amerika

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I finally finished lonesome dove today. What a beautiful book. 5 stars. I’m going to read it again in a few years and a few years after that. Top 3 book for me.

If you're interested and weren't aware, there's a sequel and a couple of prequels, all of which were given their own miniseries. I was hesitant to mention them earlier because I didn't want you to look them up and spoil the end of Lonesome Dove for yourself. I read the sequel, Streets of Laredo, and watched the miniseries (with James Garner, yay). I don't remember much about it except that it's not nearly as good as Lonesome Dove, but expecting anything to live up to that is a lot to ask. I think that I read the first prequel, Dead Man's Walk, but don't remember any of it. My dad read the whole series and, presumably, liked all of it, though.

Last edited:

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
If you're interested and weren't aware, there's a sequel and a couple of prequels, all of which were given their own miniseries. I was hesitant to mention them earlier because I didn't want you to look them up and spoil the end of Lonesome Dove for yourself. I read the sequel, Streets of Laredo, and watched the miniseries (with James Garner, yay). I don't remember much about it except that it's not nearly as good as Lonesome Dove, but expecting anything to live up to that is a lot to ask. I think that I read the first prequel, Dead Man's Walk, but don't remember any of it. My dad read the whole series and, presumably, liked all of it, though.

after finishing it , I looked up his other books and saw that there were some sequels and prequels . I can’t see them living up to lonesome dove, but I will check them out sooner rather than later .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad