Recalled/Assigned: Boo Nieves to NYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I am on record since before calling for this experiment that Zib should be "bookend" 1RW complementing Kreider, not his 1C; this is not cause Zib can't handle 1C, but b'c we've been without stud righty shot finisher for 1RW, and Z is a good combo of speed, toughness, good+ shot and still has chemistry at W

This is moot bc if we get 4 1sts from Buf for Zib + Lias, we should go there.
MacKinnon wouldn't even get 4 1sts

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No Bern, they absolutely cannot and will not trade both. One or the other. For now. Zib can be traded (if deemed necessary) in 3 more years. Until then, what are we going to do........have Lias, Names, Strome and whomever center? We woukd be doomed for years on end. There has to be a balance of turnover.

On this particular instance, you and I disagree, methinks.

Your premise is it is overriding to have some at least minimal measure of constancy/continuity as we upgrade.

Depending on the level of upgrade necessary, I disagree. A lesser need for fewer horses, so to speak, can tolerate more retention of the status quo, assuming the club's culture deserves to be retained and need not be replaced.

However, when we unarguably did not and still do not have the horses b'c we did too many stupid deals [EStaal, Clowe, etc.] and not enough correct build moves, we are now forced to either
max our options to accelerate and overtake our correction schedule
or
do as you above suggest which is piecemeal, slow and steady.

Hayes, we are out of options, we extend keep, or invite him to do a chapman and we get a rental return, presum from Nashv.

Zib, unless he extends and surrenders the clause, we have to deal him now. But if his price is truly high, there is no reason to not sell now.

Also, the worse we are now, the better it is for our probable draft results.

peace out til later

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
On this particular instance, you and I disagree, methinks.

Your premise is it is overriding to have some at least minimal measure of constancy/continuity as we upgrade.

Depending on the level of upgrade necessary, I disagree. A lesser need for fewer horses, so to speak, can tolerate more retention of the status quo, assuming the club's culture deserves to be retained and need not be replaced.

However, when we unarguably did not and still do not have the horses b'c we did too many stupid deals [EStaal, Clowe, etc.] and not enough correct build moves, we are now forced to either
max our options to accelerate and overtake our correction schedule
or
do as you above suggest which is piecemeal, slow and steady.

Hayes, we are out of options, we extend keep, or invite him to do a chapman and we get a rental return, presum from Nashv.

Zib, unless he extends and surrenders the clause, we have to deal him now. But if his price is truly high, there is no reason to not sell now.

Also, the worse we are now, the better it is for our probable draft results.

peace out til later
Just dont look at Zbad as the kind of contract being a bad thing. That ntc doesnt mean crap, and pretty sure the Rangers gave that to him without blinking. Not like he isnt in his prime, right? They really had no projection of ever moving him.
If the right deal came along for him........AND the knowledge there would be a definite deal with KEVIN, then I would do that. I would. If not blown away with Zbad deal, its a pass.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I am on record since before calling for this experiment that Zib should be "bookend" 1RW complementing Kreider, not his 1C; this is not cause Zib can't handle 1C, but b'c we've been without stud righty shot finisher for 1RW, and Z is a good combo of speed, toughness, good+ shot and still has chemistry at W
So you sacrifice a legit top line center for your experiment? This truly seems like the normal thing to do?

Reactions: Hire Sather

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Just dont look at Zbad as the kind of contract being a bad thing. That ntc doesnt mean crap, and pretty sure the Rangers gave that to him without blinking. Not like he isnt in his prime, right? They really had no projection of ever moving him.
If the right deal came along for him........AND the knowledge there would be a definite deal with KEVIN, then I would do that. I would. If not blown away with Zbad deal, its a pass.

The contract itself is a good thing
And in the interests of good relations, and happy players = productive players, I am all for being reasonably generous with NTCs.
But NMC is not smart.
It gives the player 100% control.

Look at Staal.
Look at Shatty.

I'm sorry, but that is the one thing there can be no exceptions.
No NMCs.

With all the clamoring for him, competitive bids should drive up the return for Zib, so have no fear we would be sold short in his case.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You do if you replace him with a clearly inferior player to center that line

not logical or correct to the extent of the following:
it is the exact same guy playing on the same line with the exact same 1LW.
So there may be other additional views to consider, but just head to head, the issue becomes not
whether or not the talented Zib plays
but whether or not
you play Boo at 1C instead of whoever would be the 1RW if Zib were not 1C.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
not logical or correct to the extent of the following:
it is the exact same guy playing on the same line with the exact same 1LW.
So there may be other additional views to consider, but just head to head, the issue becomes not
whether or not the talented Zib plays
but whether or not
you play Boo at 1C instead of whoever would be the 1RW if Zib were not 1C.

Nieves is inferior to whoever is the RW on the top line at any given time this season. There's no debate

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Nieves is inferior to whoever is the RW on the top line at any given time this season. There's no debate

Taking full account of totality of circumstances and all factors. defense, most complementary, etc., not surprisingly I disagree.
They could put Chytil there but they they are using him further down to see how well he drives his own line, or to say that more correctly, how much/to what extent does he drive lines he plays on.

Hopefully we can pry Nylander from leafs
Kreider-Boo-Nylander/Chytil until Krav gets here.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Taking full account of totality of circumstances and all factors. defense, most complementary, etc., not surprisingly I disagree.
They could put Chytil there but they they are using him further down to see how well he drives his own line, or to say that more correctly, how much/to what extent does he drive lines he plays on.

Of course you disagree because Nieves is your favorite player. Nobody here will ever agree with you that he deserves to be on the top line. He’s inferior to every player in our top 6 and most probably top 9.

Your weird fascination with this kid results in outlandish line combinations and players out of position.

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC

Do you not realize that you are talking about someone that has 3 NHL goals at the age of 25?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Do you not realize that you are talking about someone that has 3 NHL goals at the age of 25?

We should just do that with all the lines.

Kreider-Nieves-Zibanejad
Panarin-Fogarty-Kravtsov
Vesey-Howden-Leedahl

What could possibly go wrong? Fogarty and Leedahl aren't bad. They just did not have their fair chance yet

Reactions: dangsLITE

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
1 He has adequate enough talent NOT TO BE THE FINISHER ON OFFENSE, but to be a complementary component to help Kreider and a good matching 1RW be a better top line

2 Remember I called for a controlled experiment
- give him a fair chance with practice first w/CK to = familiarization
- play decent amount of mins to get true reading

None of that has happened.
Ergo, there has been nothing on which to draw a conclusion

we all only have ideas we project as to what might happen

finally, he is not getting a chance principally cause there are too many guys being showcased

hopefully Hayes, Zib moved for big returns and we repurpose Names, Strome and the less than fully ready Andersson into picks/prospects we can apply to areas of need

I don't understand who would entertain this.

Lets move Zbad to wing because Boo "should" be better "because someone else causes him to"... Why can't we find a the 3rd line version of kreider for Boo to have "synergy" with, if you're so insistent on this?

Seriously, what is wrong with you man? Not a SINGLE person agrees with you on this

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't understand who would entertain this.

Lets move Zbad to wing because Boo "should" be better "because someone else causes him to"... Why can't we find a the 3rd line version of kreider for Boo to have "synergy" with, if you're so insistent on this?

Seriously, what is wrong with you man? Not a SINGLE person agrees with you on this

stop taking this out of context and misrepresenting what is actually said

you are cherry picking and suggesting I said we trade Zib for the exclusive purpose of giving Boo a first line spot
I NEVER SAID THAT

I said:
a) regardless and irrespective of Boo, we should trade Zib for high return, buy low sell high, and defeat his pending NMC

b) to the extent Zib is here b'c the above is not yet done, he should be at 1RW, where he should have been bookended with 1LW Kreider, from before. Zib at 1RW is besides Boo as well.

I said next year Kravtsov arrival --- the way more talented version of Boo who also likely projects to being complementary --- forces Nieves to 3rd pair behind Krav and (hopefully) returning Hayes (a la Chapman).
That third line could be a very scaled down version of this
Howden - Nieves - ______ presumably Fast

until then, I want my friggin experiment
There is zero reason not to try

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It's time to trade Boo Nieves.

I'll take a 7th round pick if this thread goes away.

I realize the jest here and I like to think I can take a joke as well as the next guy, but anything more along these lines Mr. Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court, and I will be forced to do my impression of Al Pacino as Arthur Kirkland in one of the greatest movies ever, And Justice for All.

{You're out of order! You're out of order!!
This whole trial is out of order!....

too busy to finish this in parallel to this thread here, but there's always later if necessary }

Reactions: Crease

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
stop taking this out of context and misrepresenting what is actually said

you are cherry picking and suggesting I said we trade Zib for the exclusive purpose of giving Boo a first line spot
I NEVER SAID THAT

I said:
a) regardless and irrespective of Boo, we should trade Zib for high return, buy low sell high, and defeat his pending NMC

b) to the extent Zib is here b'c the above is not yet done, he should be at 1RW, where he should have been bookended with 1LW Kreider, from before. Zib at 1RW is besides Boo as well.

I said next year Kravtsov arrival --- the way more talented version of Boo who also likely projects to being complementary --- forces Nieves to 3rd pair behind Krav and (hopefully) returning Hayes (a la Chapman).
That third line could be a very scaled down version of this
Howden - Nieves - ______ presumably Fast

until then, I want my friggin experiment
There is zero reason not to try

Zib is a natural center and a damn good one. Ignoring your entire Boo love fest, moving to RW would be a mistake in any scenario.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
for the umpteenth time, you don't lose anything by playing him at 1RW
you can admit that any time now
You LOOSE a top line center. LOOSE. Ergo your center position is WEAKER. FURTHER, you remove another legit top-6 forward and put in a fringe 4th line.

So let's see. To recap, you moved the legit top line center to wing without knowing if he can play that position. You then moved a fringe 4th liner to play on the top line and receive such minutes. This in your mind has strengthened the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad