Recalled/Assigned: Boo Nieves to NYR

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
from Rangers page at NHL.com

New York Rangers General Manager Jeff Gorton announced today that the team has recalled forward Boo Nieves from the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (AHL).
Nieves, 24, has skated in 12 games with the Wolf Pack this season, registering three goals and four assists for seven points, along with six penalty minutes. He posted two consecutive multi-point games on Nov. 14 vs. Bridgeport (one goal, one assist) and on Nov. 17 vs. Utica (one goal, two assists). He has skated in 100 career AHL games over parts of four seasons (2015-16 - 2018-19), all with the Wolf Pack, registering 19 goals and 32 assists for 51 points, along with 28 penalty minutes.
The 6-3, 210-pounder has skated in 29 career NHL games over parts of two seasons (2016-17 and 2017-18), both with the Rangers, registering one goal and eight assists for nine points, along with a plus-five rating and 12 penalty minutes. Nieves ranked fourth on the Rangers - and ranked second among team forwards - in plus/minus rating last season (plus-six), and he posted a plus/minus rating of even or better in 24 of the 28 games he played in 2017-18. He registered three assists/points, including his first career NHL assist/point, while skating in his second career NHL game on Oct. 26, 2017 vs. Arizona, and he became the first Ranger to post a three-assist game in one of his first two career NHL games since Dominic Moore on Nov. 1, 2003.
The Syracuse, New York native was selected by the Rangers in the second round, 59th overall, of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

---------
OP adds:
someone please tell HC Q to kindly consider my request to pair Nieves with Kreider.
Nieves is not yet a 1C and there is no certainty that will change any time soon.
However, dismissing that vacuum, on paper, Nieves looks like he is a highly complementary fit to Kreider: ample speed, good size, good pivot, will contribute but not seek to dictate offense allowing Kreider and Zib to be the drivers, defensively responsible.

If I am right, it is a successful experiment, one which is a good stopgap if/when Kravtsov elects to try his pivot history here at NHL level, or if/when Nieves is eclipsed at 1C by the superior talented Howden, who also has ample speed to create an effective tandem.
If I am right, synergy will prevail.
If I am wrong, we tried something, it didn't work, and it is not the end of the world.
On paper, if other things are equal, this WILL work.
There is a possibility that actual chemistry between Kreider and Nieves, which may turn out to be fantastic, could also be horrifically bad, to the point of non-existent.
But we won't know until we try. On paper it should work.
Coach Quinn, thank you in advance, give him a fair shot with enough steady shifts.
There is always an adjustment, a learning curve even of established NHL Fs going from linemate to different linemate.
But I believe in this concept so strongly, I believe you will be pleased with the results.

Besides, we have a 2nd invested in him.
Now is the time to see what we got, and let's not do it half baked.

Again thank you
bernmeister

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
upload_2018-12-15_21-29-8.jpeg

Had to bring this one back due to the mention of Boo Nieves the true #1 center

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Without talking likelihoods, just imagine that we're in one of the universes where Boo gets a shot with Kreider for whatever reason, something clicks, and he blossoms overnight into a top6 power forward.

Just imagine the copious amounts of crow that bern will be justified in serving. He could gleefully dish it out with both hands for decades and never catch up to what he's earned. Just imagine.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Anyone know why he is being called up, other than "he deserves another shot"?
Could it be that we are very close to dealing Hayes or even Zuccha any day now? I surely hope that is the case. Hayes nearly gave me a heart attack crashing into the boards. Just saying.

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Anyone know why he is being called up, other than "he deserves another shot"?
Could it be that we are very close to dealing Hayes or even Zuccha any day now? I surely hope that is the case. Hayes nearly gave me a heart attack crashing into the boards. Just saying.
I think its a just in case if Hayes is hurt

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I think its a just in case if Hayes is hurt

They already had 13 forwards on the roster though. If Hayes was hurt, Lias would just slide in and they’d be fine. So it doesn’t really make sense on that front. So it could be a variety of other reasons like someone else is hurt as well, Quinn is pissed at someone and they’re sitting, etc.

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
They already had 13 forwards on the roster though. If Hayes was hurt, Lias would just slide in and they’d be fine. So it doesn’t really make sense on that front. So it could be a variety of other reasons like someone else is hurt as well, Quinn is pissed at someone and they’re sitting, etc.
Maybe Quinn wants to keep Lias scratched to teach him some lesson:dunno:.
Idk I wouldn't put it past him

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
If Hayes is out, even if it's just for a week or two, it would make sense to have Boo here. Lias slides in, but then they have nobody if Buch or Zucc have a setback, or if someone else gets injured.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
This squad always never has its full complement of players for an extended length of time.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Boo seems to me like the worst hockey nickname ever. It's like he's asking for abuse. He's better off just going with plain old Cristoval.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad