Recalled/Assigned: Boo Nieves to NYR

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Zib is a natural center and a damn good one. Ignoring your entire Boo love fest, moving to RW would be a mistake in any scenario.

some guys, natural Cs or otherwise, can handle W smoothly and others can't.
Zib can do either.
If we get a haul we should trade him, but while he is here he should go where best used and we are thinner at 1RW, arguably.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You LOOSE a top line center. LOOSE. Ergo your center position is WEAKER. FURTHER, you remove another legit top-6 forward and put in a fringe 4th line.

So let's see. To recap, you moved the legit top line center to wing without knowing if he can play that position. You then moved a fringe 4th liner to play on the top line and receive such minutes. This in your mind has strengthened the team?

The issue of whether or not we LOSE a top line C is not correct.
He is on the same line
He passes the eye test, looks good w/Kreider as bookend

Can't have lost him if he is on that very same line, no?

He is just contributing differently, still contributing THERE.

It is a fair discussion to ask and be open minded about all possible combos, but other than chytil and Hayes, the others - Howden/Names/Stome do not cut it.

Hayes will go soon and hopefully return.

You could go Kreider-Chytil-Zib until Zib moved or if you insist
Kreider - Zib - Chytil, tho that works vs the natural righty on RW slot.

But either way, I'd have Chytil on a separate line getting pivot experience here, and then see what next year brings.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
The contract itself is a good thing
And in the interests of good relations, and happy players = productive players, I am all for being reasonably generous with NTCs.
But NMC is not smart.
It gives the player 100% control.

Look at Staal.
Look at Shatty.

I'm sorry, but that is the one thing there can be no exceptions.
No NMCs.

With all the clamoring for him, competitive bids should drive up the return for Zib, so have no fear we would be sold short in his case.

Do you give Kreidee a NMC to sign him?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Then you will never sign any big player. The NMC/NTC are not the issue in itself, it is who you give it to and when. ZBad is on a VERY friendly contract.

I respect your right to have a dif of op w/me
including this issue.

Experience teaches this may be no harm no foul now, but it could be a big prob in a couple of years.

What if Zib turns into Drury and breaks down overnight?
He's a big tough guy but he is not Kreider/Hayes level less likely to break down.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Do you give Kreidee a NMC to sign him?

Nope.
I bend over backwards to a mutual back scratch
if he works w/us on term and $, in exchange for post season career consideration, I give him extra nTc instead.

But nobody, NOBODY gets a NMC that empowers the player to such extent the club is COMPLETELY handcuffed.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Nope.
I bend over backwards to a mutual back scratch
if he works w/us on term and $, in exchange for post season career consideration, I give him extra nTc instead.

But nobody, NOBODY gets a NMC that empowers the player to such extent the club is COMPLETELY handcuffed.

I don't know what 'post season career consideration' means but if you are willing to give a NTC that is basically the same thing..

We aren't exposing or sending Kreider to the minors. A NTC will handcuff us just the same.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't know what 'post season career consideration' means but if you are willing to give a NTC that is basically the same thing..

We aren't exposing or sending Kreider to the minors. A NTC will handcuff us just the same.

no, there is a huge dif
something that at least gives a little wriggle room if you need it, not that you hope to use it or expect to need it, but you at least have that room
is
entirely different from
no wriggle room at all.

I can't be any clearer than that.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
some guys, natural Cs or otherwise, can handle W smoothly and others can't.
Zib can do either.
And you know this based on what exactly?
If we get a haul we should trade him, but while he is here he should go where best used and we are thinner at 1RW, arguably.
At that logic, why not move him do defense where the Rangers are really thin?
He is on the same line
You LOOSE him at center. You LOOSE a legit top line center and CHOOSE to play him out of position.
What if Zib turns into Drury and breaks down overnight?
Are you ignoring the age difference when Drury broke down? And such a fear can be said about any player.
He's a big tough guy but he is not Kreider/Hayes level less likely to break down.
Based on what do you make this statement?
Then good luck signing ore resigning any players of significance.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
And you know this based on what exactly?

At that logic, why not move him do defense where the Rangers are really thin?

You LOOSE him at center. You LOOSE a legit top line center and CHOOSE to play him out of position.

We still need a good backup behind Lundqvist. Maybe Zibanejad can do that as well

Reactions: Dijock94

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Prior to tonight's game, the showcasing of our F depth for trade has been at expense of mins for Boo, who under the radar looks like a keeper in the young core.

Got a bit more time tonite so far [thru 2 per]

He didn't bury a chance right in front, but demonstrated brilliant passing only moments earlier with a silky smooth dish off to Vesey setting up an empty net that Ves just went FUBAR, total FUBAR.

Such is life
Hopefully we are moving F depth soon

Reactions: Bob Richards

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Thanks for acknowledgment/like on 212, Bob Richards

keep that mojo risin.....

just because I'm a baritone don't make me do my Jim Mo/Doors impression...

[always leave em wanting more]

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Prior to tonight's game, the showcasing of our F depth for trade has been at expense of mins for Boo, who under the radar looks like a keeper in the young core.

Got a bit more time tonite so far [thru 2 per]

He didn't bury a chance right in front, but demonstrated brilliant passing only moments earlier with a silky smooth dish off to Vesey setting up an empty net that Ves just went FUBAR, total FUBAR.

Such is life
Hopefully we are moving F depth soon

Speak it into existence.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Need to acquire MacKinnon and shift Zbad to RW or Boo’s career will go down in flames.

ha
ha
ha

the correct application of that, hypothetical, btw
IMO would be to add righty shot MacK as 1RW, keep lefty Kreider as 1LW, and, acknowledging the premise, Boo as the 1C.

In other words while Zib is favorable from shooting perspective, MacKinnon is better skater/passer, so he and the 2 faster skaters would yield the most synergy.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
He is on the same line
He passes the eye test, looks good w/Kreider as bookend

Can't have lost him if he is on that very same line, no?

He is just contributing differently, still contributing THERE.

It is a fair discussion to ask and be open minded about all possible combos, but other than chytil and Hayes, the others - Howden/Names/Stome do not cut it.

Hayes will go soon and hopefully return.

You could go Kreider-Chytil-Zib until Zib moved or if you insist
Kreider - Zib - Chytil, tho that works vs the natural righty on RW slot.

But either way, I'd have Chytil on a separate line getting pivot experience here, and then see what next year brings.
The only thing worse than his ability to spell lose in that post is your ability to strategize in hockey

[always leave em wanting more]

That'll be the day :sarcasm:

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So it's been a couple of weeks.

On the downside, Nieves blew a wide open net.
And worse, he got undressed by Kopitar leading directly to a goal.

I am not concerned as all players miss open nets. Vesey did on a gorgeous Nieves set up, costing Boo an assist. It happens, and comes with the territory.

And that wasn't the first, nor will it be the last, time that Kopitar overwhelms someone.

Focusing now on the rule more than the exceptions to, on the positive side, Nieves is trending upwards, + 2 over the last 5 games. He is now net positive for a career and is erasing the small +/- deficit for this season, despite being told to play our of position at W a couple of games and being typically with minimal 4th line talent [including the likes of McLeod], sometimes if not often checking vs. potent opposite lines.

He is clearly able to play solid defense, skate like the wind, and use the big body, while making smooth passes. He only lacks so far scoring, but he seems to be able to step when, the few times it has occurred, playing with better talent.

I am very interested to see how he works with Chytil.

I predicted if Zib dealt, until Kravtsov gets here, the line should be
Kreider - Nieves - Chytil

let's see how the TD goes...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I want to thank @Ori for his kind comments in a recent prior main trade thread at our board.

Indeed, Nieves is looking more and more like a middle pivot with 2C possibilities [not withstanding special matchups when paired with a 1LW, Kreider]. Thank you for speaking to the truth despite the closemindedness of some, including certain of my detractors.

Someone right after said "don't encourage him", a willing choice to reject truth and fact so as to deny me any credit for going against the herd and starting to be proven correct.

Truth ultimately prevails.

For the sake of our beloved Rangers, let us hope every NYR player, including Boo, reaches max potential.

Reactions: Ori

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4