Recalled/Assigned: Boo Nieves to NYR

Richter35

Oct 30, 2006
He's going to be a Group VI UFA at the end of the year. Anyone thinks he re-signs? how much?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Chytil also is not a center. He's played center for a year. That's it. He didn't play center before being drafted. I know, because I actually saw him play regularly and followed him

Not calling you a liar, just saying it is factually true he has played both pivot and W for us.
Ergo, he CAN be considered a C/

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why not then just play Zbad on the 4th line to make it stronger with Nieves centering for Kreider?

Do I have this correct? You would severely weaken the top line to try to make the overall team better?

Zbad should be our 1RW until dealt due to pending NMC which can only be defeated by trade or negotiation and we need to sell high cause we do not have the horses.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Boo has made a few nice offensive moves that resulted in goals. Confident, hard nosed drives to the net. Good on him. He seems to be reliable defensively. Another good quality. There just isn't enough offense provided thus far to indicate, that he can be anything seriously substantial in regard to playing 1st line minutes....not yet. (Lack of talent by NHL standards?)
I cannot criticize someone that is doing the best he can......he is just up against it.
Sorry Bern.......not saying they shouldn't TRY him there, because God knows we even had Vesey and Spooner there, so its NOT out of the question. A coach can do ANYTHING he deems necessary for the good of the team. Quinn is a "quintessential" coach in player development........and if that is what it takes to make Boo raise his personal bar, then why not? But, I don't make those decisions. Not 100% for, nor 100% against. This year is ALL about development and finding out MORE about the players you DO have.
Winning games is what Quinn wants to do, but at some points you have to try some things (good or bad results) KNOWING that this team is not going to win more often than they lose. If he places MORE EMPHASIS on winning and NOT finding out what certain players are capable of(in this lost season) then he really ISN'T doing what's best for the team in the long run. Not like he is Chiarelli, and HAS to make the PO's or get axed.
Oh wait........

1 He has adequate enough talent NOT TO BE THE FINISHER ON OFFENSE, but to be a complementary component to help Kreider and a good matching 1RW be a better top line

2 Remember I called for a controlled experiment
- give him a fair chance with practice first w/CK to = familiarization
- play decent amount of mins to get true reading

None of that has happened.
Ergo, there has been nothing on which to draw a conclusion

we all only have ideas we project as to what might happen

finally, he is not getting a chance principally cause there are too many guys being showcased

hopefully Hayes, Zib moved for big returns and we repurpose Names, Strome and the less than fully ready Andersson into picks/prospects we can apply to areas of need

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He's going to be a Group VI UFA at the end of the year. Anyone thinks he re-signs? how much?

That was a FO foul up for sure.
Not like the Red Sox losing Lynn and Fisk to late contracts also making them UFAs, but a totally unnecessary, avoidable screw up.

That said, I would be shocked if they late a 2nd round investment with upside walk for nothing.

They way WAY overpaid Smith so the investment of a 2nd + 3rd would not be wasted. Boo will prob want the higher side of his market, which atm is not overly high, and opportunity.

Kravtsov will be our 1C w/Kreider, the 1RW being likely Chytil, unless we can get Nylander from Leafs.

With a returning Hayes at 2C, Nieves can earn 3C and have less but still some synergy with Howden, maybe. [b'c Howden is still raw and somewhat incomplete, unlike CK]

So my experiment would give him more inclination to stay, theoretically.

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
That was a FO foul up for sure.
Not like the Red Sox losing Lynn and Fisk to late contracts also making them UFAs, but a totally unnecessary, avoidable screw up.

That said, I would be shocked if they late a 2nd round investment with upside walk for nothing.

They way WAY overpaid Smith so the investment of a 2nd + 3rd would not be wasted. Boo will prob want the higher side of his market, which atm is not overly high, and opportunity.

Kravtsov will be our 1C w/Kreider, the 1RW being likely Chytil, unless we can get Nylander from Leafs.

With a returning Hayes at 2C, Nieves can earn 3C and have less but still some synergy with Howden, maybe. [b'c Howden is still raw and somewhat incomplete, unlike CK]

So my experiment would give him more inclination to stay, theoretically.

None of these things will happen aside from maybe Chytil playing 1RW

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
It's been so long since we drafted Boo that I completely forgot he was a second round pick; had him neatly tucked away in my mind as a fourth rounder.

I hope we sign him, even if it takes a one-way contract to do it. We've been waiting for him to make it to the NHL for so long and now that he's this close it would be criminal to just let him walk.

Reactions: bernmeister

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Really.
Not true he has like zero off. skill.
Solid playmaker/passer skills given limited cohesion with steady Ws, esp of top quality. Like @Machinehead said, every time they put him on a line with a slightly better player, and guess what, not lights out, but "he shows me a little something".

He carried the mail for both Chytil then Kreider.
But he will also, with speedy enough skating Ws, lead to quality shots. Even if he doesn't convert as well as Kreider or the RW, esp if the RW is a finisher like Chytil, he will do acceptably well enough on quality chances, while not insignificantly, helping generate quality chances for his Ws.
What I meant by that is that he's an NHL bottom six player, as opposed to whatever the flying f*** Cody McLeod is, not that he's a first liner.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If you wanna make Boo out to be a top six compliment to legit scorers like Fast is, it would be at wing.

Centering those lines is a completely different story.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
1 He has adequate enough talent NOT TO BE THE FINISHER ON OFFENSE, but to be a complementary component to help Kreider and a good matching 1RW be a better top line

2 Remember I called for a controlled experiment
- give him a fair chance with practice first w/CK to = familiarization
- play decent amount of mins to get true reading

None of that has happened.
Ergo, there has been nothing on which to draw a conclusion

we all only have ideas we project as to what might happen

finally, he is not getting a chance principally cause there are too many guys being showcased

hopefully Hayes, Zib moved for big returns and we repurpose Names, Strome and the less than fully ready Andersson into picks/prospects we can apply to areas of need

No Bern, they absolutely cannot and will not trade both. One or the other. For now. Zib can be traded (if deemed necessary) in 3 more years. Until then, what are we going to do........have Lias, Names, Strome and whomever center? We woukd be doomed for years on end. There has to be a balance of turnover.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Zbad should be our 1RW until dealt due to pending NMC which can only be defeated by trade or negotiation and we need to sell high cause we do not have the horses.
Okay Bern, I think you're losing your mind now. You want to turn this team inside out, just so you can be right about Nieves?
I root for the kid, but to make Zbad play another position "until he is traded" oh forget it.
Dont wanna waste ink on my typewriter.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Bern,

You have moved our legit top line center to wing to acomodate someone who may or may not have a career as a fringe 4th line center. Does this sound logical to you?

One of these days, he's going to bring up the 1 instance where he was correct (Stepan being traded before his NMC kicks in) and use that as validation for all his other outlandish ideas

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Boo has made a few nice offensive moves that resulted in goals. Confident, hard nosed drives to the net. Good on him. He seems to be reliable defensively. Another good quality. There just isn't enough offense provided thus far to indicate, that he can be anything seriously substantial in regard to playing 1st line minutes....not yet. (Lack of talent by NHL standards?)
I cannot criticize someone that is doing the best he can......he is just up against it.
Sorry Bern.......not saying they shouldn't TRY him there, because God knows we even had Vesey and Spooner there, so its NOT out of the question. A coach can do ANYTHING he deems necessary for the good of the team. Quinn is a "quintessential" coach in player development........and if that is what it takes to make Boo raise his personal bar, then why not? But, I don't make those decisions. Not 100% for, nor 100% against. This year is ALL about development and finding out MORE about the players you DO have.
Winning games is what Quinn wants to do, but at some points you have to try some things (good or bad results) KNOWING that this team is not going to win more often than they lose. If he places MORE EMPHASIS on winning and NOT finding out what certain players are capable of(in this lost season) then he really ISN'T doing what's best for the team in the long run. Not like he is Chiarelli, and HAS to make the PO's or get axed.
Oh wait........

setting aside the rest of this, thank you for being open minded to say to at least try is something that we have nothing to lose.

Again as to Boo overall offense, that has to be further developed espec. at NHL level. Like many, he will look better/worse with superior/inferior talent.

The whole premise of the experiment everybody remember pls before critiquing, is not that put CK w/Boo and suddenly Nieves = sniper. No. The premise is these 2 superior skaters, one dedicated to complement the superior talent, esp if coupled with desired RW linemate, will = more opportunities, and specifically more quality chances, both directly because of the skating itself, and bc need to defend vs that creates mismatches.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Wait. He should be our right wing so that Boo friggin' Nieves can center the top line?????

I am on record since before calling for this experiment that Zib should be "bookend" 1RW complementing Kreider, not his 1C; this is not cause Zib can't handle 1C, but b'c we've been without stud righty shot finisher for 1RW, and Z is a good combo of speed, toughness, good+ shot and still has chemistry at W

This is moot bc if we get 4 1sts from Buf for Zib + Lias, we should go there.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
setting aside the rest of this, thank you for being open minded to say to at least try is something that we have nothing to lose.

Again as to Boo overall offense, that has to be further developed espec. at NHL level. Like many, he will look better/worse with superior/inferior talent.

The whole premise of the experiment everybody remember pls before critiquing, is not that put CK w/Boo and suddenly Nieves = sniper. No. The premise is these 2 superior skaters, one dedicated to complement the superior talent, esp if coupled with desired RW linemate, will = more opportunities, and specifically more quality chances, both directly because of the skating itself, and bc need to defend vs that creates mismatches.
Which gets the puck in the offensive zone more often than not. Keeping it there is what Kreids is especially good at as well. If Boo van compliment him, and cycle keeping control of the puck and maybe with Tony doing his thing....yeah, maybe just maybe. Boo just needs to get better. Everyone has got to be better. This.......is what this year is for.
He was a 2nd rounder and at "some point" people were high on him. Okay, now he is here......and getting 4th line minutes? Okay, everyone should go through that.....but maybe at some point give the kid a real shot. Let him grow a little. I believe this is your real basis in everything regarding Boo.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Gold Medal Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Empoli vs AS Roma
    Empoli vs AS Roma
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $45.00