Bobrovsky joins Elliott complaining about new smaller pads.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Boohoo. It's no surprise that the two guys that have come out complaining have been two of the worst goalies to start the season. I'd be all ears if Vasi, Gibson, or Kinkaid came out with these complaints. I'd like to see the bruises these guys are talking about before believing them.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
ITT: a bunch of internet tough guys and a lack of understanding of basic physics.

Protection for impact by definition can not be form fitting. An object in motion wants to stay in motion. Therefore it transfers its energy into what it hits. So if you are wearing something form fitting that impact goes through your protection right into you. If it has a bit wider surfaces than necessary and can be a bit looser, a lot of that energy is dissipated before it reaches you.

Example: crumple zones in cars.

This change effectively removed the crumple zones on the upper body of goalie equipment.

One of a few perfectly worded posts ITT.

As a goalie, I can only laugh at the ignorance of some users, who probably think that stepping on Legos and stubbing their toe is the worst pain there is. But they think that their personal enjoyment of their pastime might rise over a few more goals, and if it comes at the small price of 60+ goalies (even) more consistently suffering (so far) minor injuries, that's a price they're willing to pay see being paid by others.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Boohoo. It's no surprise that the two guys that have come out complaining have been two of the worst goalies to start the season. I'd be all ears if Vasi, Gibson, or Kinkaid came out with these complaints. I'd like to see the bruises these guys are talking about before believing them.

Gibson has told Ducks' color guy and former NHL goalie Hayward the same things.

Reactions: ujju2 and allevat

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
how can people not be agreeing with the goalies here

you cant have guys standing in the net getting smashed by 100 mph shots with barely any padding on exposed parts

Baseball catchers. Those guys are always bruised and beat up. They tend to show them off and not complain about them. It’s part of the position.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Wow, some of you guys. I've played 20+ years in net at a pretty competitive level (Junior AAA) + with many players that went playing in the Q (+ some in the NHL) and let me tell you, pucks do hurt on a bad spot (back then with the old chest protector). I can only imagine receiving NHL shots on a daily basis with your arms exposed.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
how can people not be agreeing with the goalies here

you cant have guys standing in the net getting smashed by 100 mph shots with barely any padding on exposed parts
It's because a majority of naysayers are the same people who blame goalies for everything, yet will never have the balls to put on the pads when they're not playing against 10 year olds.

This isn't 1942. The sticks, training and strength of these athletes dishing a frozen piece of rubber at you at speeds of, as you said, 100mph is something that needs to really be recognized. Sure, the goalies back in the day were basically wearing two knit sweaters, but they were also facing muffins of a shot compared to what you see today.

Goalies need to be protected to do their jobs.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Baseball catchers. Those guys are always bruised and beat up. They tend to show them off and not complain about them. It’s part of the position.

Baseball catchers, as hard as a position it is, don't receive a ball on their exposed arms or their chest every single pitch. The hardest part is being crunched all the time. I know their catching hand is getting bruises though, but goalies do to if the puck hits a bad spot (with old chest protector).

It happens sometimes & like you said, it's part of the position. However, it shouldn't happen every single day.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The problem isn't that the goalies are being soft or whatever. Taking bruises like that can lead to serious blood clots and they should come up with better protection.

If they refuse, it could open the NHL up to lawsuits should any of the goalies sustain serious injury or death because of it.

If you have no idea how blood clots are formed don’t post like you know. This was one of the most ridiculous posts. Just cause they look similar doesn’t mean that one turns into the other.

One is a contusion in the capillarity and the other forms in your vein to try to stop bleeding.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Baseball catchers, as hard as a position it is, don't receive a ball on their exposed arms or their chest every single pitch. The hardest part is being crunched all the time. I know their catching hand is getting bruises though, but goalies do to if the puck hits a bad spot (with old chest protector).

It happens sometimes & like you said, it's part of the position. However, it shouldn't happen every single day.

I played both sports at a decently high level and either position was never an option to me haha. I consciously chose not to have projectiles hurled at me all game. Takes a special breed.

Reactions: Hardworker33

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Times are different the game is faster the players are bigger... stronger , pretty much everyone can fire the puck harder than 80 percent (being generous) of the players back then.

The skates are sharper etc.....
The new stick technology?
Even video ? You weren't seeing guys one time from ten feet away 15 times a game back then .

Some of those same guys back then were smoking two pack a day and drinking during intermissions.

Maybe the alchohol numbed the pain?

How many found themselves addicted to pain medications , another valid point , there is a bigger picture than just being tough .

The guys are making money because it's a multi billion dollar industry , I love old time hockey I love hard hitting physical sports ......but guys shouldn't have to suffer just because .

You should take the airbags out of your car just in case word gets out how soft you are? Or maybe cook your supper over rocks because Stoves are for wussies lol

Maybe think about some of the things you need to do your profession effectively and then have someone arbitarily change those tools would it effect your productivity perhaps .....your looking at all wrong

I'm gonna stop here I'm slowly learning it doesn't matter how clear you communicate other perspectives on these boards.
Yeah... I wasn't actually suggesting that today's goalies play without masks.
I hope the PA and the league sort it out before a star goalies career is jeopardized over fossilized thinking.
They... have?

As someone already said, the PA and the NHL have obviously agreed on any changes that occurred prior to those changes happening. The NHL would not agree to anything nowadays that was shown to increase the risk of injury.

Anyway, if today's goalies can't hack it, there are 500 other pro and semi-pro goalies eager to take each of the current guy's positions.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
is it really putting him at risk though, or does it just feel like it is? I highly doubt they'd shrink the equipment if they couldn't do it safely

So constant bruises and sore spots is not a risk? What? If he is getting bruises from shots then repeated shots in an area could lead to more tissue damage, fracture, etc. The NHL did not intentionally reduce equipment to the point where there is now an injury risk but there is certainly evidence to support that they have.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I played both sports at a decently high level and either position was never an option to me haha. I consciously chose not to have projectiles hurled at me all game. Takes a special breed.

I always loved it and came naturally :laugh: I was 5 years old when I started (no goalie at that age), we were playing 3v3 and my 1st reaction was getting to my net, go on my knees & trying to stop the puck even when we were on offense haha.

I always liked being a game changer (for the better or worse).

Reactions: ItchyScratchy77

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

They... have?

As someone already said, the PA and the NHL have obviously agreed on any changes that occurred prior to those changes happening. The NHL would not agree to anything nowadays that was shown to increase the risk of injury.

Anyway, if today's goalies can't hack it, there are 500 other pro and semi-pro goalies eager to take each of the current guy's positions.
Yes, let's not try to have the best goalies in the world play in the NHL.

Are we gonna go the same route with skaters? If they aren't willing to "man up" against headshots, then maybe we have 500 other pro and semi-pro meatheads willing to take their positions?

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018

They... have?

I guess sacrificial lambs it is then!!!!

bring on the replacements!!!

Reactions: Aspirine

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Yes, let's not try to have the best goalies in the world play in the NHL.

Are we gonna go the same route with skaters? If they aren't willing to "man up" against headshots, then maybe we have 500 other pro and semi-pro meatheads willing to take their positions?
A bruised arm and a concussion are similar in your world?

If a defenseman says he's not willing to block a shot you can bet your ass his coach is going to find one of those other 500 and the fans will be on board.

Reactions: Frosty415

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad