Bobrovsky joins Elliott complaining about new smaller pads.

Apocalypse Dude

"Value"
Jul 25, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd love to see the 'goalies should man up' crowd try to save that slapper Gibson took from Pulock last night. It was from the blueline and clearly stunned him. That would probably change a few of their minds.

Reactions: Vipers31

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
A bruised arm and a concussion are similar in your world?

Did you actually fail to understand my point? If so, how about we remove skate protectors from skates in an attempt to have more shots reach the net? Sure, it will lead to repeated bruising and injuries, but hey, "man up", right?

To be clear, then: Bobrovsky has stated he won't play anymore, and he's giving up his multi-million salary so he can play in the IHL?

Bobrovsky, and with him over a quarter of the starting goalies in the league, have expressed worry about the repeated bruising because of the decreased protection. Personally, I'd prefer if we have the best goalies in the world playing up to their ability in the NHL without having to worry about getting injured.

You have already shown that you're uninterested in having the best goalies in the world out there, so I won't ask if you agree.

Reactions: Vipers31 and ujju2

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
The pads needed to be cut down but we shouldn't be unsympathetic to the goalies, they aren't supposed to be getting be bruised by every shot. Over the past few years pad sizes have been reduced while shooting velocity is steadily increasing thanks to all the great shooting forwards out there who have now mastered composite sticks are able to regularly whip out 80-90 mph wrist shots. That's a new aspect to game also, wasn't nearly so widespread even 5 years ago.

With these two factors converging it may well be we've passed the inflection point and moved into territory of inadequate protection. Finding the correct amount of padding in a limited testing environment was basically impossible, only the rigours of a full NHL schedule will reveal problems.

Reactions: Rangerfans

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Did you actually fail to understand my point? If so, how about we remove skate protectors from skates in an attempt to have more shots reach the net? Sure, it will lead to repeated bruising and injuries, but hey, "man up", right?
I understood your point but it was just dumb to compare bruises to a brain injury. If defensive defenseman started wearing wider shin pads and pants so they could block more shots the league would step in and restrict them the same way goalies have been trying to find ways to increase the amount of space they take up in the net for decades and the league had to step in and start restricting the size.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The pads needed to be cut down but we shouldn't be unsympathetic to the goalies, they aren't supposed to be getting be bruised by every shot. Over the past few years pad sizes have been reduced while shooting velocity is steadily increasing thanks to all the great shooting forwards out there who have now mastered composite sticks are able to regularly whip out 80-90 mph wrist shots. That's a new aspect to game also, wasn't nearly so widespread even 5 years ago.

With these two factors converging it may well be we've passed the inflection point and moved into territory of inadequate protection. Finding the correct amount of padding in a limited testing environment was basically impossible, only the rigours of a full NHL schedule will reveal problems.
Who the hell is shooting 90 mph wristers? Some of the guys in the skills competition are taking 90 mph slap shots and that's with a skating start. The shots these guys are taking in games are for the most part not as hard as guys getting a skating start from the red line and shooting as hard as possible without caring where the puck goes.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I understood your point but it was just dumb to compare bruises to a brain injury. If defensive defenseman started wearing wider shin pads and pants so they could block more shots the league would step in and restrict them the same way goalies have been trying to find ways to increase the amount of space they take up in the net for decades and the league had to step in and start restricting the size.
D-men ARE using equipment that allows them to reduce their risk of injury while blocking shots. Remove the skate protectors and we'll likely see players thinking twice about blocking shots. And the only thing we have to give up is some protection for the skaters.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Boohoo. It's no surprise that the two guys that have come out complaining have been two of the worst goalies to start the season. I'd be all ears if Vasi, Gibson, or Kinkaid came out with these complaints. I'd like to see the bruises these guys are talking about before believing them.

Read the entire thread before posting stupidity like this, makes you look dumb. Elliot, Jones, Bob, Price, Reimer, Rinne, Hellebuyck, and Dubnyk are all goalies who spoken out.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
D-men ARE using equipment that allows them to reduce their risk of injury while blocking shots. Remove the skate protectors and we'll likely see players thinking twice about blocking shots. And the only thing we have to give up is some protection for the skaters.
When did I say anything about banning equipment that reduces injury? Am I asking for goalies to stand back there naked? I said the NHL would step in and restrict the SIZE of pads if players started wearing wider pad just to block shots. Skate protectors, which not everyone even wears, take up a few millimeters and literally do nothing to take up more space. Between this and comparing bruises to concussions you sure know how to form a delusional argument.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Read the entire thread before posting stupidity like this, makes you look dumb. Elliot, Jones, Bob, Price, Reimer, Rinne, Hellebuyck, and Dubnyk are all goalies who spoken out.
I literally didn't mention any of the guys you listed but nice try. Out of the 8 goalies you listed, only 2 of them are in the top 15 in SV% this season. 5 of the 8 are having terrible starts to the season so it's no surprise they're complaining.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
When did I say anything about banning equipment that reduces injury? Am I asking for goalies to stand back there naked? I said the NHL would step in and restrict the SIZE of pads if players started wearing wider pad just to block shots. Skate protectors, which not everyone even wears, take up a few millimeters and literally do nothing to take up more space. Between this and comparing bruises to concussions you sure know how to form a delusional argument.
So your issue is that the equipment, which protected goalies from their current issues, was too wide? Which meant less chance of scoring goals. But skate protectors, which has led to less chance of scoring goals because less shots are reaching the net, is not an issue because they're not increasing the width of skates?

But you don't understand that the width is what's protecting the goalies? I.e. the space between the impact and the body is necessary to protect goalies.

You inability to understand analogies doesn't make the argument "delusional". Just as your inability to understand what's protecting the goalies from harm doesn't make their complaints invalid.

I literally didn't mention any of the guys you listed but nice try. Out of the 8 goalies you listed, only 2 of them are in the top 15 in SV% this season. 5 of the 8 are having terrible starts to the season so it's no surprise they're complaining.
Solid sample size you've got there. And Gibson has also complained about the equipment, as has been mentioned earlier in this thread.

How many more of the starting goalies in the league need to express concern about this for you to understand that there may be an issue with what the league has done? We're at 9 out of 31 so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vipers31

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
So your issue is that the equipment, which protected goalies from their current issues, was too wide? Which meant less chance of scoring goals. But skate protectors, which has led to less chance of scoring goals because less shots are reaching the net, is not an issue because they're not increasing the width of skates?

But you don't understand that the width is what's protecting the goalies? I.e. the space between the impact and the body is necessary to protect goalies.

You inability to understand analogies doesn't make the argument "delusional". Just as your inability to understand what's protecting the goalies from harm doesn't make their complaints invalid.
If you think comparing bruises to concussions in terms of injuries and the size of skate protectors to goalie equipment is a passable analogy then yes, you're delusional.

Solid sample size you've got there. And Gibson has also complained about the equipment, as has been mentioned earlier in this thread.

How many more of the starting goalies in the league need to express concern about this for you to understand that there may be an issue with what the league has done? We're at 9 out of 31 so far.
Sample size has nothing to do with it. I'm not saying any of them are bad goalies. I'm simply saying it's not a surprise that a bunch of goalies off to poor starts are blaming something other than themselves.

I'm going to move on from this conversation before you start comparing slashing a goalies glove after the whistle to two handing a forward in the mouth.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Sample size has nothing to do with it. I'm not saying any of them are bad goalies. I'm simply saying it's not a surprise that a bunch of goalies off to poor starts are blaming something other than themselves.
A majority of these goalies expressed concern with this before they ended up at the current sv% you're pointing at. So what was the issue then? Your claim that they're using this to explain their poor starts is clearly incorrect.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Be more dramatic, will ya. No one's gotten injured yet, and until then, goalies won't have an argument. Oh, they're getting some bruises? Skaters get bruises EVERY game, man up.

Yeah the difference is a skater maybe takes a couple shots a game and the goalie takes 30.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
how can people not be agreeing with the goalies here

you cant have guys standing in the net getting smashed by 100 mph shots with barely any padding on exposed parts
well they could always wear heavier bulkier pads in practice for starters and secondly i dont see players whining about blocking shots and getting pounded into the boards.

Goalies what a bunch of wimps........you know what you signed up for

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
well they could always wear heavier bulkier pads in practice for starters and secondly i dont see players whining about blocking shots and getting pounded into the boards.

Goalies what a bunch of wimps........you know what you signed up for

t.never played goalie before.

Gotta love all the hardcore hero players on here, put them out on c level beer league and I guarantee you they'll be crying uncle.

Reactions: Vipers31 and ujju2

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I'd love to see the 'goalies should man up' crowd try to save that slapper Gibson took from Pulock last night. It was from the blueline and clearly stunned him. That would probably change a few of their minds.
Here is that Pulock shot. Hit him in the arm.

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
I like the wavering psychological aspect the new pads are having on the goalies.

Such a mental game.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
I thought bob was complaining about bruises on his arm. My comment was meant to be more of a joke. Comparing the shots goalies take to the shots a player takes when they block a shot seems a little ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad