Bobrovsky joins Elliott complaining about new smaller pads.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Pay me millions of dollars and I'm in.

For millions of dollars ?

In a heartbeat.

I could go around the world and probably find 2 billion people from Africa, Southeast Asia, Eastern Europe and Central/South America who'd gladly stand naked at an January outdoor rink in Boston and let Zdeno Chara unload slappers on them for $2000.

If you wouldn't let Zdeno Chara launch 110mph slap shots at your naked bodies in -20 degree weather for $2000 you guys are p***yes. That's just logic.

Hell, I could find people who'd let me drill holes in their arms and legs for $1000. How much do you make again? How entitled must you be to go to work making $50000 a year or however much you make and not have holes drilled into your arm ONCE? It's just a small drilly hole, man up for christ's sakes.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Wow, I can't believe this thread. The sixty-five regular goalies in the NHL are making $5 million a year to play sports, and according to most posters we should have a pity-party because one or two might (gasp...!) get a bruise.

Never mind that people used to play without masks for two thousand dollars a year.

Wood sticks, leather skates, horsehair pads are done. Composite everything, And if you catch a puck in exactly the right spot near your collarbone in men's REC league its enough to buckle your knees. I was a weak ass wrister and I bet I could easily make your eyes water if you played goal if I wanted to ( yeah like that's EVER going to happen). The league has already reduced the size of the pads, the pants, the cheaters on the gloves and guess what ? SCORING DIDNT GO UP. So now instead of goalies worrying about squaring up, we have to worry whether or not they have to flinch and pucks get fired up high.

Goalies are indeed a special breed, but that doesn't make them immune to the laws of physics. The league has consistently and repeatedly made it progressively harder for them to do their jobs and it hasnt increased scoring. at some point someone is going to get hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
lol some people in this thread probably can't be on their feet for more than 10 minutes talking shit about pro athletes wanting better protection against 95+ mph shots

Reactions: Vipers31 and Monk

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
t.never played goalie before.

Gotta love all the hardcore hero players on here, put them out on c level beer league and I guarantee you they'll be crying uncle.
what a joke. As a player you probably get hit 5-10 times a game plus block shots. Do people think none of these hits or shot blocks hurt?

Its a physical game. Your profession is to block a rubber disk shot at high speeds. Occasionally it's gonna hit in the joint areas of padding which have less protection to allow for flex and movement. The NHL has attacked padding that sticks out not the depth and thickness........... Goalies lol

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I look at it like paintballing...the little f***ers hurt so the objective is to get better so you don't need to feel 'em. Be it as a team or individually. No matter what, you will never be 100% protected.

Last edited:

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
what a joke. As a player you probably get hit 5-10 times a game plus block shots. Do people think none of these hits or shot blocks hurt?

Its a physical game. Your profession is to block a rubber disk shot at high speeds. Occasionally it's gonna hit in the joint areas of padding which have less protection to allow for flex and movement. The NHL has attacked padding that sticks out not the depth and thickness........... Goalies lol

Then go be a goalie if it's that easy, a lot of talk from hardcore players because they get bumped a few times and every now and then they get a small stinger from a shot.

Meanwhile players literally have equipment designed for one purpose (to shoot harder) and one purpose only and nobody says a thing.

Pathetic.

Reactions: ujju2

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
John Gibson took yet another hard shot up high where they've eliminated protection and it hurt him

If you're going to be putting goalies at higher risk then you better start regulating the sticks that routinely allow 95+ MPH shots

Agreed. While I still believe the equipment needs to continue be scaled back, returning to wooden sticks is still a priority for me.

Reactions: byrath and snag

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I literally didn't mention any of the guys you listed but nice try. Out of the 8 goalies you listed, only 2 of them are in the top 15 in SV% this season. 5 of the 8 are having terrible starts to the season so it's no surprise they're complaining.

You honestly think established goalies like Bob, Price, Rinne, Hellebuyck, and Dubnyk (also, as others stated, Gibson also spoke out) are pitty enough to blame their not so hot start to goalie equipment changes? Like come on dude lol. Who hurt you

Last edited:
Reactions: nabby12

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Then go be a goalie if it's that easy, a lot of talk from hardcore players because they get bumped a few times and every now and then they get a small stinger from a shot.

Meanwhile players literally have equipment designed for one purpose (to shoot harder) and one purpose only and nobody says a thing.

Pathetic.
i never said its easy. Point is this has been a huge point of contention and unless you are either miss informed or have had your head in the sand you would know that the reductions are because of how far it has gotten out of control. The NHL has wanted something done for decades now but the problem is in order to pass any kind of legislation they have had to have the approval from the NHLPA. The skaters just simply stay out of it so it's goalies and Kay Whitmore and his crew having to make some concessions with a league that wants offense.

Kay Whitmore helps interpret NHL's goaltending language

snag

Feb 22, 2014
But you don't understand that the width is what's protecting the goalies? I.e. the space between the impact and the body is necessary to protect goalies.

Would that not be thickness that protects the goalie while the width protects the goal?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
b6195e7984aa736be4bc348280269532.jpg

no reason why the shoulders cannot be more formed rather than standing erect to deflect puck up and out. This is the issue.

Reactions: Joffrey Baratheon

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
i never said its easy. Point is this has been a huge point of contention and unless you are either miss informed or have had your head in the sand you would know that the reductions are because of how far it has gotten out of control. The NHL has wanted something done for decades now but the problem is in order to pass any kind of legislation they have had to have the approval from the NHLPA. The skaters just simply stay out of it so it's goalies and Kay Whitmore and his crew having to make some concessions with a league that wants offense.

Kay Whitmore helps interpret NHL's goaltending language

Nobody is misinformed, I was literally involved in the industry for nearly a decade.

This is just a stupid witch hunt to try and eek out another .1gpg which hasn't really worked in equipment reduction in general

Here's an idea: IF YOU WANT MORE GOAL SCORING, CALL 100% OF PENALTIES 100% OF THE TIME.

There you go, no more hurt goalies and more goals.

Goal scoring right now is literally at parody level with the first season post lockout which is hilarious because goalies were still using 38" pads and bigger pants/C&As and this will likely go down as players and teams get better used to their systems.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Here's an idea: IF YOU WANT MORE GOAL SCORING, CALL 100% OF PENALTIES 100% OF THE TIME.

Impossible. Now you expect everything to be seen without fail and prejudice (though ideally, there should be none of that anyway but they are human). If you want more scoring with realistic achievability: Increase the size of the net by 2-3" all around. The players have continued to get bigger and the nets have stayed the same. If you're unwilling to increase the size of the net, you have to decrease somewhere else.

Surprised nobody has dressed a sumo wrestler yet under the current setup and rules.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
b6195e7984aa736be4bc348280269532.jpg

no reason why the shoulders cannot be more formed rather than standing erect to deflect puck up and out. This is the issue.
I want you to put your ball's where your mouth is! I want you to go and practice with a AHL or college team with a hard contour shoulder floater ok ? Come back after and tell us all what you found out.

Reactions: Chimp

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I look at it like paintballing...the little ****ers hurt so the objective is to get better so you don't need to feel 'em. Be it as a team or individually. No matter what, you will never be 100% protected.

Difference is, in paintball you're attempting to avoid getting hit. Goaltenders are intentionally putting themselves in the way of pucks.

Reactions: Chimp

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
That's what they did to the current C/A (along with making them more contoured around the arms) which is kinda the problem. At some point limiting the surface area and contouring directly to the body becomes a safety issue because as mentioned by someone else in the thread shoulder floaters and elbow blocks were essentially the "crumple zones" of older C/As, and because they would float freely above the rest of the C/A they had space to absorb impact. It's also a concern of holes opening up at the elbow/bicep/shoulder/collarbone area, those were already the most dangerous parts of the C/A because they have to move a lot and there can be lots of gaps in protection if you're even slightly out of position or in motion. Those shoulders and elbows look really under protective to me in situations where you're hugging the post or moving laterally.

Honestly this whole thing is really silly, at what point are we just going to have to realize that these guys are the 62 best goalies in the world and they're actually just skilled and well-trained athletes. After the 05-06 lockout they removed an inch of width from the pads and blockers and 3" of circumference from the gloves, yet save percentages continued to rise. They shrunk the pants again a season or two ago and sv% still rose. They forced goalies to use shorter pads a few seasons ago and sv% continued to rise. Most of these reductions in gear have had little effect or even positive effects on sv% because of increased mobility, but we're now at a point where the gear is not providing adequate protection in the shoulder/bicep/collarbone area for the sake of another marginal inch or two of coverage. If taking an inch of width off the entire pads, 2-3 inches off the height of the pads, and shrinking the blocker and glove by 1-3" in width wasn't enough, I'm highly skeptical that an inch of shoulder floater is going to open the floodgates and it seems like a really dangerous risk to take.

That Lundqvist picture is the old gear, current gear looks like this:

d2Fb6oh.jpg

42mLpSb.jpg

Last edited:

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Difference is, in paintball you're attempting to avoid getting hit. Goaltenders are intentionally putting themselves in the way of pucks.

I get it....but my point stands: It is part of the game. No matter what, you are gonna get some stingers. Guarantee you that if I let a NHL take slap shots at me I would probably get hurt because I am not a goalie. Just like a catcher can stop a pitch in the dirt, I do that I would likely be writhing on the ground. Even though I have caught before...and did a pretty good job of it despite not being my natural position, any ball I took in the dirt was not a 95mph fastball.

Experience and training teach you how to anticipate, track, react and receive.

Reactions: sting101

snag

Feb 22, 2014
That's what they did to the current C/A (along with making them more contoured around the arms) which is kinda the problem. That Lundqvist picture is the old gear, current gear looks like this:

d2Fb6oh.jpg

42mLpSb.jpg

Then if the new gear is constricting, the only other geometry left is the pipes.

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
Yet I doubt you’d sit in front of a single 100mph shot so
You guys keep bringing up 100mph shots like they happen all the time, they don't. You guys act like they have ZERO protection, they do. You guys act like goalies are getting injured, they're not.

The people in this thread are blowing this WAY out of proportion. It's been a month now since they've been using their equipment. Has their been ONE injury reported? No. End of discussion, until then.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I get it....but my point stands: It is part of the game. No matter what, you are gonna get some stingers. Guarantee you that if I let a NHL take slap shots at me I would probably get hurt because I am not a goalie. Just like a catcher can stop a pitch in the dirt, I do that I would likely be writhing on the ground. Even though I have caught before...and did a pretty good job of it despite not being my natural position, any ball I took in the dirt was not a 95mph fastball.

Experience and training teach you how to anticipate, track, react and receive.

Except that's not how goaltending is played at the highest levels anymore. Goaltending is about positioning and occupying as much of the net as possible. It's about eliminating holes in your stance. With how hard professional players shoot today with composite sticks (and how much emphasis is given to obsurcing goaltender's space and vision), trying to track and react every shot is a fools' errand in modern professional hockey. Goalies of all skill levels are going to get hit, and the padding should serve its intended purpose of protecting them.

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad