Bobrovsky joins Elliott complaining about new smaller pads.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I wonder how much the current historic goal scoring pace is due to this "flinching' from goalies.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Wow, I can't believe this thread. The sixty-five regular goalies in the NHL are making $5 million a year to play sports, and according to most posters we should have a pity-party because one or two might (gasp...!) get a bruise.

Never mind that people used to play without masks for two thousand dollars a year.

And every goalie is having to wear the new chest protector.. so everyone is having to adapt.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Lots of bigshot tough guys in this thread...

"Back in my day, goalies wore way less pads because they were REAL MEN! Not these sissy millennial SNOWFLAKES!"

Get over yourselves.

Reactions: ujju2

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
ITT: a bunch of internet tough guys and a lack of understanding of basic physics.

Protection for impact by definition can not be form fitting. An object in motion wants to stay in motion. Therefore it transfers its energy into what it hits. So if you are wearing something form fitting that impact goes through your protection right into you. If it has a bit wider surfaces than necessary and can be a bit looser, a lot of that energy is dissipated before it reaches you.

Example: crumple zones in cars.

This change effectively removed the crumple zones on the upper body of goalie equipment.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
how can people not be agreeing with the goalies here

you cant have guys standing in the net getting smashed by 100 mph shots with barely any padding on exposed parts
Because goalies always complain about changes that affect them. Where is the photo evidence of how bad it is. Why is it only 2 guys out of 60ish guys?

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I get shrinking the pads and gloves because there is still top level protection. Even the shrinking of the shorts. But when you mess with the arms of the chest protector guys are going to get hurt. From the elbow up to the shoulder is the most vulnerable area on any goalie and if you remove or modify the padding it bruise up the guys like we are seeing.

Reactions: Rangerfans

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Because goalies always complain about changes that affect them. Where is the photo evidence of how bad it is. Why is it only 2 guys out of 60ish guys?
Elliot, Jones, Bob, Price, Reimer, Rinne, and I think I'm forgetting a couple.

The list keeps growing, and I bet it will be the "shorter" goalies (ie 6'2 or less) who continue to come out against it mostly as they'll be the ones taking the awkward shots in the upper chest and shoulder areas more often.

Reactions: ujju2

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Lol it would be funny to see the people in here saying "Man up" to face those shots themselves. Don't think they'd be too happy to put up with that for an entire season. They'd probably not even last a week lol. Talk is cheap :)

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Looks like Bobrovsky is salty that he's no longer getting carried by his equipment.

Let's wait until a goalie with better than .920 save% complains about them.

Although by the way, I'm fine with more padding on the arms. Just an interesting coincidence that the goalies complaining are the ones doing terribly.

Jesus Christ.

Bobrovsky is getting salty because the league has changed their protective equipment to try and raise revenue and as a result he's now finding that he's getting hurt whilst trying to do his job. Tell you what, i'll stand behind you at your job and keep hitting you with a puck from ten yards, but you'd better not complain about it - especially if your work suffers as a result.

The fact that the two goalies who have commented are also struggling can still be a coincidence more than a trend, but I imagine it's more down to the variety in body types and goalie styles. Some will be more exposed, will be subject to more hits and bruises during the game and as a result are performing worse than those who aren't as vulnerable.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Guess what goalies, when you push back on every potential change to your equipment then eventually people will stop caring about your opinion. If you would have learned to fight your battles instead of whining about things like the height of your pads (that protects the five hole and not any part of your body) then maybe you would have had the cache to prevent this.

Also, if only 2 goalies out of 62+ are saying this how bad can it be?

This is actually an excellent point

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Interesting correlation between poor statistics and complaining about the equipment.

i suggest checking gibson and bobs stats before saying something so boneheaded

goalies arent going to notice right away how many spots are left open, as the season goes on and you take more shots it starts to sting everytime a puck hits that spot.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Elliot, Jones, Bob, Price, Reimer, Rinne, and I think I'm forgetting a couple.

Add Hellebuyck to your list.

Chest protectors the latest piece of NHL goalie equipment to shrink | CBC Sports

Add Dubnyk to the list.

Have goalies' smaller pads padded scores early on in NHL?

“That big, boxy, shoulders up at the ears look, that’s what they’re trying to get rid of,” he said. “I think they could have done that without now creating some vulnerable spots on the arms, which I think is not really going to do anything visually. It’s not going to do anything because you can’t see your arms and as far as holes go, I don’t think it’s going to do anything. So all it’s really done is give us more bruises on the arm.”

The NHL might looking into it ....

Whitmore has stated that there may be some adjustments coming because “There's no expectation that a goalie should have to do his job getting bruised daily.”

Reactions: ujju2 and Maylo

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
As for what was changed...
  • Shoulder floater width reduced from a maximum of 7 inches to 5.5 inches
  • Elbow floater width reduced from a maximum of 7 inches to 6 inches
  • Shoulder cap cannot project beyond shoulder more than 1.5 inches
  • Bicep and forearm pads also minimized

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I picked up goalie at 25. Flinching instead of focusing was a real problem. Eventually i got over it till that one puck sneeks through. Over the years i took two heavy slappers off the collar bone, both left scars. And i quickly found that getting hit in the dick sucked so i started wearing both my players/goalie jocks in tandem. Other then that a few might knock the wind out of me.

That was just beer league. If goalies are getting hurt in practice, then the NHL definitely needs to review the changes

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Wow, I can't believe this thread. The sixty-five regular goalies in the NHL are making $5 million a year to play sports, and according to most posters we should have a pity-party because one or two might (gasp...!) get a bruise.

Never mind that people used to play without masks for two thousand dollars a year.

Times are different the game is faster the players are bigger... stronger , pretty much everyone can fire the puck harder than 80 percent (being generous) of the players back then.

The skates are sharper etc.....
The new stick technology?
Even video ? You weren't seeing guys one time from ten feet away 15 times a game back then .

Some of those same guys back then were smoking two pack a day and drinking during intermissions.

Maybe the alchohol numbed the pain?

How many found themselves addicted to pain medications , another valid point , there is a bigger picture than just being tough .

The guys are making money because it's a multi billion dollar industry , I love old time hockey I love hard hitting physical sports ......but guys shouldn't have to suffer just because .

You should take the airbags out of your car just in case word gets out how soft you are? Or maybe cook your supper over rocks because Stoves are for wussies lol

Maybe think about some of the things you need to do your profession effectively and then have someone arbitarily change those tools would it effect your productivity perhaps .....your looking at all wrong

I'm gonna stop here I'm slowly learning it doesn't matter how clear you communicate other perspectives on these boards.

I hope the PA and the league sort it out before a star goalies career is jeopardized over fossilized thinking.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
One of the big discussions so far for Jackets fans has been how the team is essentially splitting starts between Bob and Korpisalo rather than just going with Bob every night like in past seasons.

This throws a wrench into the discussion. Maybe they are splitting because the goalies are getting beat up each game and starting 60+ games would be torture.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
The problem isn't that the goalies are being soft or whatever. Taking bruises like that can lead to serious blood clots and they should come up with better protection.

If they refuse, it could open the NHL up to lawsuits should any of the goalies sustain serious injury or death because of it.

Edit: meant hematomas, not clots.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad