Bobrovsky joins Elliott complaining about new smaller pads.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
“Since my childhood, I’ve never faced that,” Bobrovsky said. “You start to (wonder) if it’s going to hurt you or not in practices, so it’s a trip into your mind. It’s tough to compete with.”

Bobrovsky mentioned his issues with the new chest protector last week as the Jackets prepared to play the Florida Panthers. Asked Wednesday if the issues had improved, he shook his head.

Bobrovsky said. “You start to be afraid of pucks, actually, especially in the practices. You get bruises in here (arms, elbows). It’s terrible. They cut (down) the arms, but basically they cut off the protection of the chest protector,” Bobrovsky said. “That’s the bad thing. I’ve never had the bruises on my arms, but now it feels like every other shot goes there. If it goes there, it’s going to be sore.”
Blue Jackets | Goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky feeling the sting with smaller chest protector

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If what he says is really true, that is going to put him in constant risk for injury.
is it really putting him at risk though, or does it just feel like it is? I highly doubt they'd shrink the equipment if they couldn't do it safely

Reactions: AnimalFear

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Just will bring back Elliott quote.

"I think that’s the biggest issue, they take away padding in the arms. It seems like every shot that you take that’s not clean on your blocker or in your glove, it’s leaving a mark." "They wanted more ‘form fitting,’ but when you have more form fitting there’s no give," Elliott explained. "There’s no air between you and your pads, so the puck is hitting your pad and at the same time it’s hitting your bones and your flesh so there’s no cushion. "It’s just straight shots to your arms and I don’t agree with it."

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
how can people not be agreeing with the goalies here

you cant have guys standing in the net getting smashed by 100 mph shots with barely any padding on exposed parts
Be more dramatic, will ya. No one's gotten injured yet, and until then, goalies won't have an argument. Oh, they're getting some bruises? Skaters get bruises EVERY game, man up.

Last edited:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Guess what goalies, when you push back on every potential change to your equipment then eventually people will stop caring about your opinion. If you would have learned to fight your battles instead of whining about things like the height of your pads (that protects the five hole and not any part of your body) then maybe you would have had the cache to prevent this.

Also, if only 2 goalies out of 62+ are saying this how bad can it be?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Interesting correlation between poor statistics and complaining about the equipment.
If anything, that would lend more credence to their claims. If you actually are having the problems they're describing, there's no way you can go out and play like normal. Like he said, if you're worried about getting hurt all the time, same as if you're a skater, that's going to affect how you play in a negative way.

If they were complaining and looking unbeatable anyway, I'd be more inclined to consider it whining.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Interesting correlation between poor statistics and complaining about the equipment.
Bobrovsky mentioned his issues with the new chest protector last week as the Jackets prepared to play the Florida Panthers. Asked Wednesday if the issues had improved, he shook his head.
3 days before he was lit up.

Same case with Elliot, his intreview came out Before 8 goals game with Sharks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->