Bobrovsky joins Elliott complaining about new smaller pads.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Elliott just sucks and doesn't know how to goaltend without Hitchcock, so he's gotta cry about that.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
What does this even mean?

Bobrovsky is actually good though.

To make it clear, I’ve been for reducing goalie equipment for about 20 years now.

But if the opinion is the same between Elliot and Bob, what does their level of skill have to do with anything?

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Price (when he tested it first time)
Price pointed specifically to a gap on the side of his shoulder as a possible problem, saying the top of his arm is exposed, especially when he’s against the post on sharp-angle plays.
“I am not saying the sky is falling or anything,” Price said, “But I think we just have to make sure it doesn’t get carried away and that the guys feel comfortable because the last thing you want is guys moving away from pucks when that’s not what we should be doing.”

Riemer.
“Honestly, the first couple of days, I was like ‘this chesty isn’t that bad,’ but it was controlled shooting,” Reimer said. “The last day they were coming down the wing with speed and all of a sudden it felt like every puck hurt. Now they are at a bad angle and you are flinching, like you are pulling up, you are pulling your arms in to try and protect yourself.”

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
how can people not be agreeing with the goalies here

you cant have guys standing in the net getting smashed by 100 mph shots with barely any padding on exposed parts

Because

1. Some people from this forum have never even been on the ice themselves

2. 95% have never tried even standing with full goalie gear on, let alone be in the crease facing shots

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I used to borrow my pal's goalie equipment back in the days. And let me tell y'all something.

The pucks.
f***ing.
Hurt.

And I was playing against 15-year olds, some of them didn't even play in a team. None of us were that good, we were just kids fooling around with skates on our feet and sticks on our hands. And yet still when any one of these guys hit me with that good ol' Canadian slapshot we all know so well, it hurt like hell. I'll never forget those sh*tty Vaughn pads. Glove was the worst, because if you actually caught something, your palm had this blue'ish hue afterwards.

Goalies are fuc*ing crazy, man. When these guys come forward and claim that something hurts, you better believe 'em. Because what you consider "hurting", is nothing to these guys. Once you hear a guy like Bobrovsky saying that the pucks hurt, they really hurt. Mad respect for these fellas, and I hope the NHL does something to this obvious problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

LABound

RFA
Sep 2, 2018
Can you not layer padding without making it wider?

Absolutely ridiculous 100mph shots throw them off mentally after a lifetime of being used to something

If you can't see how dangerous it is to be distracted at those speeds I don't know what to say ......but Soft wouldn't be it.... unless you are in thier equipment/ or situation saying they are soft is just ignorance .

You don't think your play/ concentration/ safety would be hindered?

Imagine something as simple as walking in a pair of shoes to small for you or wearing glasses that aren't your prescription ? Lol are you soft if you mention it , or if it affects your performance / confidence / safety :)

Playing through a minor injury or discomfort is normal for athletes but to be battered regularly and unessasarily for something when thier are other solutions ....that's just foolishness .

If you have ever had a deep muscle bruise you would know how difficult it is to play with and how long it takes to heal ..... If these guys are getting them daily because of lack of protection I don't know how you justify letting that continue no matter how old school you are .

Before you come in here and call me soft or a snowflake I'm harder than Xmas candy don't bother.

These are multi million dollar assets you need to protect for the sake of your business if nothing else .

Just identify where they need layers increased it's not rocket science .....I'm not saying go back to that ridiculous over sized gear ...that's just temptation for guys to try get an edge .

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Yeah I'd say this is a problem that needs to be fixed. It's likely going to lead to a lawsuit should a goalie get seriously injured.

If they're complaining this early into the year, I can only imagine things will get worse through 200+ days of hockey.

Reactions: ujju2

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Feels like the players have better protection to stop pucks then the goalies.
I love how people say "Man up!", guess you guys never been goalies. I have been goalie in lot of sports (not hockey) is not the actully pain that is the worst, since you dont feel it in he heat of the moment, it is actully after when all the bruisers hinders your moving so you cant be effective.
So you all apha males in this thread, go and pepper yourself with big bruisers all over your body and then go play some sports, see how good you are. And not those wosy brusiers, let your friends pepper you with slapshots, stop close range soccer shots, serve tennisballs from closerange etc etc, no padding, you are all MALES

Reactions: o6mopok and JBeast

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If it's legit (and it shouldn't be hard for them to prove their case here) then this is not only a safety issue, but also an issue which means we aren't seeing players playing at their best, which hurts the product. This should be viewed as a serious problem by the league.

if the league cold force the goalies to wear a pirate eye patch to kill depth perception to increase scoring, they would.

placate the " offense uber alles" whiners and the people who need 7-6 games to be entertained with their miniscule attention spans oh and have you heard the whipmaster THREE thousand composite stick is about to be released. it's got rockets in the heel !

When has the NHL EVER introduced a rule to make the goalies job easier ? the next time will be the first.

Reactions: o6mopok

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Wow, I can't believe this thread. The sixty-five regular goalies in the NHL are making $5 million a year to play sports, and according to most posters we should have a pity-party because one or two might (gasp...!) get a bruise.

Never mind that people used to play without masks for two thousand dollars a year.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Looks like Bobrovsky is salty that he's no longer getting carried by his equipment.

Let's wait until a goalie with better than .920 save% complains about them.

Although by the way, I'm fine with more padding on the arms. Just an interesting coincidence that the goalies complaining are the ones doing terribly.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Wow, I can't believe this thread. The sixty-five regular goalies in the NHL are making $5 million a year to play sports, and according to most posters we should have a pity-party because one or two might (gasp...!) get a bruise.

Never mind that people used to play without masks for two thousand dollars a year.

Boy did this become a polarized issue quick. Expressing concern isn't a pity party.

People used to do lots of dumb shit a few years ago, doesn't mean a damn thing. The players should prob just play naked yeah?

Reactions: ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad