Bob

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
He has looked awesome against Chicago tonight. Looks like you found a keeper.

Side note: I'm glad you guys are moving divisions for I can root for you now.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
6-1-3 in his last ten, he may not be our future franchise goalie yet but with the play I'm consistenly seeing he is our starter.... There is 5% chance in my personal goalie book Steve Mason will ever be the CBJ starting goalie in the future...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I couldn't be more impressed with Bob, there is about 0 chance Mason makes any of those saves! Bob is fantastic and is playing with a ton of heart Go Jackets!
Mase almost routinely made those sorts of saves in his rookie year.

How quickly we forget.

I'm loving Bob's play too, but let's be at least a little more restrained, 'kay?

major major

Feb 18, 2013

How quickly we forget.

I'm loving Bob's play too, but let's be at least a little more restrained, 'kay?

I was trying for "restrained" a week ago. Now I am just in unashamed awe.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

How quickly we forget.

Except this ISN"T Bob's rookie year. The league got the book on Bob after his rookie year too. So he had last year and has responded nicely. Mason has not (yet).

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Bobrovsky had brilliant flashes as a rookie in Philadelphia too. The media there is notoriously harsh on goalies, and when you see some of the guys that have gone there and failed, it's no surprise that Bob struggled after his rookie campaign. I think a fresh start was just what he needed, and to me he looks like he has his swagger back. I don't think his recent level of play is sustainable, but I certainly think he's a guy who is capable of being a good #1 for us for the foreseeable future.

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Except this ISN"T Bob's rookie year. The league got the book on Bob after his rookie year too. So he had last year and has responded nicely. Mason has not (yet).

And perhaps more importantly its not in Hitchcock's system (when the players are still buying into said system).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Bob has been en fuego the last 10 but lets not forget he has some stellar defense in front of him. Lots of the shots he has faced have been Jacket style- from far away and right at him. Not to say he hasn't stolen a few, he has, but flashes of brilliance should not reward him with a 10 year Luongo.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Bobrovsky had brilliant flashes as a rookie in Philadelphia too. The media there is notoriously harsh on goalies, and when you see some of the guys that have gone there and failed, it's no surprise that Bob struggled after his rookie campaign. I think a fresh start was just what he needed, and to me he looks like he has his swagger back. I don't think his recent level of play is sustainable, but I certainly think he's a guy who is capable of being a good #1 for us for the foreseeable future.

Perhaps Ian Clark has helped him as well, I have read in the Philly threads that he didn't get a lot of help there. Clark and he have made some changes, perhaps these are now beginning to show.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Maybe the West hasn't studied enough tape on Bob?
Again he's playing awesome but he's shown he can be great for almost a full season in Philly, then shown last season that he was almost as bad as Mason. he was great for 2 games here, then went into a lull where (IMO) Mason outplayed him, and now he's playing fantastic for last 10 games.
I'm extremely impressed (played outstanding) but I'm not ready to sign him to a long term deal for #1 money.
But now instead of looking for a 1A/1B goalie to pair with Bob I think we can focus on a vet who can be a backup tender and see what bob does next season. If he plays like a #1 next season then consider long term.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Forget about Hitch's "system".
It was his inability to shape the room which became evident.
He was a good coach for the wrong time and room.

Major credit to Richards and his coaches, and the seriousness brought by JD/KEK.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Forget about Hitch's "system".
It was his inability to shape the room which became evident.
He was a good coach for the wrong time and room.

Major credit to Richards and his coaches, and the seriousness brought by JD/KEK.

Was it his inability or because of group of "young punks" thaght they could outscore the opposition, they convinced the franchise player of the same thing, and finally ownership and management bought in. So Hitch was canned because noone supported him from above (being able to say Brassard you don't want to play D, goodbye).
So next thing you know we end up with a coach with some pond hockey offensive scheme that set us back even further in our rebuild. Also keep in mind a couple coaches turned us down because they looked at our resources/players and understood what ownership/managment wanted to do (open things up, try to outscore the opponent) and knew it was a disaster.
So I don't blame Hitch, I blame the players and ownership and management who backed them up.
And yes I understand Hitch reinvented himself slightly in St Louis but his system works if you have the right players. Also JD was with the Blues when Hitch was hired there so if Hitch has a bad system, JD must not see it either.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Maybe the West hasn't studied enough tape on Bob?
Again he's playing awesome but he's shown he can be great for almost a full season in Philly, then shown last season that he was almost as bad as Mason. he was great for 2 games here, then went into a lull where (IMO) Mason outplayed him, and now he's playing fantastic for last 10 games.
I'm extremely impressed (played outstanding) but I'm not ready to sign him to a long term deal for #1 money.
But now instead of looking for a 1A/1B goalie to pair with Bob I think we can focus on a vet who can be a backup tender and see what bob does next season. If he plays like a #1 next season then consider long term.

Or Bob is continuing to improve. Some of the big stories about him were that he would stop a player in practice who scored on him and ask that player what he saw from the shooter's perspective, and that his work ethic is unmatched. Maybe we finally have a goalie that wants to read the book on himself, and improve those areas as opposed to spending his time polishing his trophy.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't get the impression that Bob is all about the money but it can't be overlooked that he is Russian and the KHL could try to sweep in and sign him for outrageous money.

They shouldn't overpay but they also shouldn't penny pinch if there is a legitimate thought he could be the guy. 30 year old Viktor Fasth got a 2 year deal for a 2.9 cap hit based on roughly 8-10 games of NHL experience and that can't be overlooked in the negotiating process here. While he is older, I think that may consider some framework involved if they even remotely think Bobs is the guy.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I would have no problem handing Bob a 2 year 3 million contract. He's played like a starter and deserves to get paid like one. I really think we have a #1 in the making.

Bob is very young for a goal tender both in age (still only 24 I believe) and in starts. Alot is made of his bad performance in his second year, but much of the poor stats were due to the fact that he was behind a defense that made ours look elite and Philly didn't support a young goalie like they needed too (apparently lacked much in the way of goalie coaching and other problems). Ian Clark has said that it is his hard work and his acceptance that he has weaknesses he needs to improve that has resulted in this new and improved Bob, and that is something that is only going to continue as Bob develops and the team gets a real off season and training camp.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH

Attachments

• Bob_M_Model.jpg
    Bob_M_Model.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 18

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY