Bob

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Gee, I wonder if Rick could motivate himself for that game. After all, it is not like playing for Canada in the Olympics.

Nash is actually having a good season in NY.... That said, I'm happy with Anisimov... all the rest we got in that trade is a bonus..

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Assuming he plays like this the rest of the way, it will pose an interesting issue for Jarmo. Do you believe he is the real deal or a one hit wonder like Rookie Mase or the Blues Two from last year?
I think he is benefiting from the team defense but also has been very good in his own right. I would resign him but not for more than 4 years (which I think takes him one year past his UFA age). 3-4 mill a yr.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
The Mason signing is still stinging me when I consider what we need to do with Bob.

"What about Bob?"

Look at how long we've suffered subpar goaltending with the Mason situation. I know we chalk a lot of it up to Howson's glacial approach on what to do about him, but holding a gun to my head, I didn't have a problem with Mason's current contract when it was signed.

In a perfect world, I'd qualify Bob, maybe give him a bit on top of the that and say "Go out there and give us another season of this next year and we will talk LTC", but I know thats not going to happen. A two year deal would be good for the organization, but I just can't see this happening either.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Assuming he plays like this the rest of the way, it will pose an interesting issue for Jarmo. Do you believe he is the real deal or a one hit wonder like Rookie Mase or the Blues Two from last year?
I think he is benefiting from the team defense but also has been very good in his own right. I would resign him but not for more than 4 years (which I think takes him one year past his UFA age). 3-4 mill a yr.

I'd make him prove it still. He did great in Philly his first year, then last season got ran out of town.
I love what I'm seeing but no way do I sign him long term to starter money (like Mason got).
I beleive he's still restricted, so pay him enough to make him happy (maybe even a 2 year deal) but don't go crazy.
If he plays like a #1 next season then think about long-term.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
I'd go for 2 year deal. 3-3.5 mil.

A one year deal isn't going to work. Agree that 2 year is probably the best we could hope for, assuming it doesn't sting Bob and his agent enough that they are willing to sit out the RFA process or he doesn't request a trade, which will be difficult given the fludity of the RFA process. Luckily, JK and JD don't have the Mason contract on their watch, hopefully whatever is done is done with an eye towards "Ok, what options do we have if this doesn't work out? Beyond sitting on the deal and not acquiring proper talent to fill in."

I have a feeling it will be at least a 3 year commitment though. The plus side though is that it'll free up money to go after another proven guy that can back up Bob, cause it looks like almost a sure thing Mason is done here.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Slow down boys, he's had a few good games here but it's only been 2 weeks mason played this way for a whole season, trust me he ain't getting paid yet!

if he wants to he be, he has to be paid or else he walks to another team. Hopefully he plays like this the rest of the way (to make the decision easier) and he will take a reasonable deal.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Slow down boys, he's had a few good games here but it's only been 2 weeks mason played this way for a whole season, trust me he ain't getting paid yet!

See I disagree here. Bob's rookie year was very good. He played great in the KHL this season. Even his sophomore year with the Flyers was good with their lack of defense. Bob has shown to be a very good netminder

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I heard JD say two days ago that they are in constant

A one year deal isn't going to work. Agree that 2 year is probably the best we could hope for, assuming it doesn't sting Bob and his agent enough that they are willing to sit out the RFA process or he doesn't request a trade, which will be difficult given the fludity of the RFA process. Luckily, JK and JD don't have the Mason contract on their watch, hopefully whatever is done is done with an eye towards "Ok, what options do we have if this doesn't work out? Beyond sitting on the deal and not acquiring proper talent to fill in."

I have a feeling it will be at least a 3 year commitment though. The plus side though is that it'll free up money to go after another proven guy that can back up Bob, cause it looks like almost a sure thing Mason is done here.

assessment mode. They will not make a move unless it benefits the team long term. IMO Sergei will get paid if he deserves it, but it won't be treated as an entitlement. Bob's issues in Philly started when they brought in Bryz to play in front of him. I don't see JD/JK doing that right out of the gate. They will give Bob a chance to prove that he can play competively in the starter role. I don't think Bob would want out of his current situation - it looks to me like he is having fun.

PS Scott Howson's team is playing pretty competitively. I give him credit for not making moves to try and save his job, and for keeping the good of the franchise front & center. Bob, Johnson, Letestu and the biggest trade in history that added Artie, Dubie and Erixon plus a 1st rounder. We are playing our way out of a top 10 pick but "you play to win the game".

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

No, actually he didn't. If I remember correctly (someone else can look it up, if they wish), Mason's run of outstanding play, and it was truly outstanding, was well short of an entire season. He was called up part way into the season after an injury to the starter, played very well, then faded in the end. In fact, the collapse of his game at the end of the season nearly cost the team their only playoff appearance and his performance in the Detroit series was very weak. His amazing number of shutouts during his strong period of play were what gained him the Vezina attention.

Bob played very well in his rookie season, was very ineffective as the backup in Philly the next year, and was very strong in the KHL at the beginning of this year. Add in what he's done in the past month and I have no doubt that he's got the makings of an NHL starter. The #1 we'd all hope for? Too soon to tell, but the talent and drive seem to be there, his athleticism and work ethic appear to be just as advertised by his fans in Philly.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
No, actually he didn't. If I remember correctly (someone else can look it up, if they wish), Mason's run of outstanding play, and it was truly outstanding, was well short of an entire season. He was called up part way into the season after an injury to the starter, played very well, then faded in the end. In fact, the collapse of his game at the end of the season nearly cost the team their only playoff appearance and his performance in the Detroit series was very weak. His amazing number of shutouts during his strong period of play were what gained him the Vezina attention.

Bob played very well in his rookie season, was very ineffective as the backup in Philly the next year, and was very strong in the KHL at the beginning of this year. Add in what he's done in the past month and I have no doubt that he's got the makings of an NHL starter. The #1 we'd all hope for? Too soon to tell, but the talent and drive seem to be there, his athleticism and work ethic appear to be just as advertised by his fans in Philly.

You're right.I was going to make this point earlier but didn't. He was unconscious for about a half to two thirds of a season and then like you said faded at the end.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I beleive a 2 year deal for Bob will keep him a RFA after that's done. Anything more and he becomes a UFA. I think the CBJ will want to hold the cards and giving Bob something reasonable over the next two years would motivate him for a longer term deal. After this next contract I wouldn't offer him more than 3 years (based on today's depth chart). We'll know so much more about Forsberg, Dansk, Korpisalo and Oulette within the next two years that we might have a better feel for our goaltending depth by that time.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Also keep in mind a big reason for his "fade" ws because he got Mono around January (maybe February). He played thru it for a few weeks (I think) but the CBJ had to shut him down for a couple weeks? He wasn't the same after that. He had 5-6 shutouts in November and December.
One of those things I will never forget because your star tender is down sick and the CBJ didn't check on him (neither did his teammates who lived in same building) it was the lady that was trying to sell him the condo (he was renting) that brought him food for a couple of days until his parents arrived. That in itself showed the Leadership this team lacked.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I beleive a 2 year deal for Bob will keep him a RFA after that's done. Anything more and he becomes a UFA. I think the CBJ will want to hold the cards and giving Bob something reasonable over the next two years would motivate him for a longer term deal. After this next contract I wouldn't offer him more than 3 years (based on today's depth chart). We'll know so much more about Forsberg, Dansk, Korpisalo and Oulette within the next two years that we might have a better feel for our goaltending depth by that time.

If Bob's agent is dumb enough to allow that to happen, I'll be amazed.

And if he plays well for the next 2,3 or 4 years he will only be 28 (maybe close to 29) at the end of 4, still young enough for a longer term deal. Unfortunately the Jackets only hold the cards for one in a two handed game and if Bob plays the rest of the season close to the last 10 or so, his hand will be stronger.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
He's helping propel this team into the playoff race. If anything merits a big payday, it's that ... that being said, I hope they don't make the same mistake they made with Mason. And by that, I don't mean the contract (which wasn't actually that bad - if Mase had gotten even close to top form), I mean throwing him to the wolves with no solid help either in front of him or backing him up. No Mathieu Garon, bring in a legitimate veteran NHL goalie. Give him support, and don't allow him to not give a crap when he shows up to the rink ... if you don't play well, you don't play!

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
He's helping propel this team into the playoff race. If anything merits a big payday, it's that ... that being said, I hope they don't make the same mistake they made with Mason. And by that, I don't mean the contract (which wasn't actually that bad - if Mase had gotten even close to top form), I mean throwing him to the wolves with no solid help either in front of him or backing him up. No Mathieu Garon, bring in a legitimate veteran NHL goalie. Give him support, and don't allow him to not give a crap when he shows up to the rink ... if you don't play well, you don't play!

Mason was a mistake in hindsight, which is pure 20/20. We've gotten burned on a couple of those deals. But lets flip things around. Suppose Mase had continued to play like the Maseiah. Then we'd be blessing that long term deal because he would be a bargain this year. It's a risk. We got burned once but that doesn't mean we'll be burned always.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Mason was also a head case. By all accounts Bob is not. As a matter of fact the word on Bob is that he is humble, works hard, and is always looking for ways to get better.

I see no reason to compare him to Mase. Totally different personalities.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Bob finishes at .930 I wouldn't mind giving him a 2 year deal at $4million per. I wouldn't play hardball with a guy who might be getting just as much money in the KHL.

IBleedUnionBlue

Aug 16, 2009
Got to give due credit to Howson. A 2nd and two 4ths for Bobrovsky is looking like a great deal. I thought it was an overpayment originally. Perhaps he could have gotten Bob for less. Regardless, it worked out well for the CBJ.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg

I think that is something that really separates him from Mason. Mason has often been criticized for his work ethic, whereas Bob is just the opposite. Plus, aren't we one of the only teams that has a full-time goaltending coach? Perhaps that's what Bob needed which also speaks to the possibility that Bob is very coachable. Even when Bob let in an early goal he seemed to pick it up after that.

I think with those aspects added in, you have a potential for a very good number one goaltender in Bob. Dansk and the rest of our goaltending prospects are at least three or four years away from having any impact on the NHL level, anyway.

to Mason's defense, he has looked better this year, but, I'm in agreement with pretty much everyone else, in saying that Mason is done in Columbus.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Got to give due credit to Howson. A 2nd and two 4ths for Bobrovsky is looking like a great deal. I thought it was an overpayment originally. Perhaps he could have gotten Bob for less. Regardless, it worked out well for the CBJ.

So far, so good.

Lindbäck got traded for two 2nd rounders and 3rd. Bob looks good besides that.

Varlamov for first and second though he was more proven at the time, though injury prone.

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
All goalies are head cases. So much pressure.
With few exceptions, their careers are roller coasters.

Advise caution on getting ahead of ourselves.
Team lacks firepower and has several underperforming key players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad