Bob

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I think you have illustrated my point. Time to simplify. Whatever they are doing now isn't working and that aren't executing. Actually they are bombing. I had mentioned in other posts we have 5 new players, 3 are forwards.

Not to question everything, but why?

What they are doing isn't working now, because the players don't understand it yet.

If we were the Rangers, Kings, or any other team expected to make the playoffs (or even any team not expected to come in last place) then yes, you take some time to evaluate and figure out what is going wrong and stop the bleeding now.

That's not the situation Columbus is in. We're still rebuilding, we're still learning. Why change what Richards is trying to do before the team fully understands it. Let them learn it, actually see it in action, then learn what works/doesn't work with it. I hate to use the words, but it is hard to argue with their results, but what if Richards system is the next neutral zone trap, or left wing lock, do we want to abandon it before the players know how to use it?

Conversely, what if it is the worst system imaginable. If the team abandons it before fully understanding it, what would stop Richards from trying it again at the start of next season, when he has a full training camp to teach it.

Lets figure out what we have before we panic.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Not to question everything, but why?

No practice time. They are coaching by talking in ear, not on ice. Get back to the basics and build on it. I suppose you can practice during games if you don't mind getting abused on a nightly basis.

Honestly, with this team the game should be simple anyway.

I thought we were going to be able to stretch out defenses with the puck movers we have. Not happening as well as I hoped.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Bump....

I was checking the numbers today and Bobrovsky is in top 20 SV% for NHL goalies with over 5 games played... I think he's emerging (if not already) as our starter over Mason...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think he's already wrestled it away from Mason, who has been good as well, but Bob has given us a chance to win every game he's been in save one or two.

Main boards taking notice too, entire thread saying Bob is emerging as a #1 goalie.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I think he's already wrestled it away from Mason, who has been good as well, but Bob has given us a chance to win every game he's been in save one or two.

Main boards taking notice too, entire thread saying Bob is emerging as a #1 goalie.

Who knows. He's had a recent uptick in performance, but he's hardly solidified himself as the long term #1. Great March, poor Jan and Feb. He's played well the last 5 of 6, but beyond that he's been unspectacular. Not trying to rain on a possible parade, just saying we've had plenty of goal tenders do exactly this. Anyone remember this guy called LaCosta? Career 1.42 GAA and never lost a NHL game. Alan York? Career 2.3 GAA.

Not saying Bob is these guys, but we've had plenty of goal tenders play great for short periods. Mason has had outstanding stretches in the past. LaClaire, Denis, etc.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
Who knows. He's had a recent uptick in performance, but he's hardly solidified himself as the long term #1. Great March, poor Jan and Feb. He's played well the last 5 of 6, but beyond that he's been unspectacular. Not trying to rain on a possible parade, just saying we've had plenty of goal tenders do exactly this. Anyone remember this guy called LaCosta? Career 1.42 GAA and never lost a NHL game. Alan York? Career 2.3 GAA.

Not saying Bob is these guys, but we've had plenty of goal tenders play great for short periods. Mason has had outstanding stretches in the past. LaClaire, Denis, etc.

Bob does have a 54 game season in PHI where he went .915 & 2.59 before running out of gas in the play offs, so he does a a little more of a read than LaCosta or York.

WhileI also would like to see a little more before anointing him, his recent spurt is encouraging.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The more i watch hockey, the more convinced I am that goalies stats are highly affected by the quality of the defense in front of them. In his last two appearances Bob has benefited from some smothering team defense that kept good scoring chances to a minimum. Not that he didn't have some great saves but he wasn't under a whole lot of pressure. I'm with blah on this-lets wait and see how the rest of the season plays out. A week or so ago, I thought Mase had outplayed Bob this season by a bit. Today its ad Bob.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
The more i watch hockey, the more convinced I am that goalies stats are highly affected by the quality of the defense in front of them. In his last two appearances Bob has benefited from some smothering team defense that kept good scoring chances to a minimum. Not that he didn't have some great saves but he wasn't under a whole lot of pressure. I'm with blah on this-lets wait and see how the rest of the season plays out. A week or so ago, I thought Mase had outplayed Bob this season by a bit. Today its ad Bob.

I would give Bob the "stole one" credit for last nights win. Otherwise, I agree, he has benefited from solid D in front of him.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

I've seen a different Bobrovsky since that game he was so horrible and was pulled... he's still a work in progress for sure but I'd take him any day over Mason right now.

I can't wait to see who plays vs Detroit this weekend, if it's Mason he needs to be soild...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Bob does have a 54 game season in PHI where he went .915 & 2.59 before running out of gas in the play offs, so he does a a little more of a read than LaCosta or York.

WhileI also would like to see a little more before anointing him, his recent spurt is encouraging.

Yeah and Mason had an equally impressive resume and subsequent failure into the abyss with brief respites of success.

What you stated doesn't change the fact that we have seen this in the past with any number of goal tenders, regardless of resume.

Not saying what Bob is or isn't going to do in the future, I will be encouraged when he goes 50+ games with around a .920 save pct in the role of full time starter. Fool me once... What is this up to? Fool me 4 times?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Yeah and Mason had an equally impressive resume and subsequent failure into the abyss with brief respites of success.

What you stated doesn't change the fact that we have seen this in the past with any number of goal tenders, regardless of resume.

Not saying what Bob is or isn't going to do in the future, I will be encouraged when he goes 50+ games with around a .920 save pct in the role of full time starter. Fool me once... What is this up to? Fool me 4 times?

There were 12 goalies in the NHL last season with more than 50 games and a .920 SV%....

May as well shoot for the top eh....

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH

So very true...

... the life of a Jackets fan.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Are we going to pretend Mason has been terrible this year now? Because a week ago we were saying Mason was the starter and Bob was terrible.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I'd start Bob today and if he plays well I'd start him again tomorrow. Play the hot hand while you can.

Not sure why Richards hasn't been doing this since the first game. One of them would play well and the other would start the next game. It goes against conventional wisdom.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
What would it take to get Bob back to Philly?

(Been a Bob supporter from the his rookie season on and hate the shaft he got here. Glad hes a starter for a team though)

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Are we going to pretend Mason has been terrible this year now? Because a week ago we were saying Mason was the starter and Bob was terrible.

No, Bob just has the advantage ATM.

Agree with Nord. In fact, Mason was outplaying Bob until he got pulled from whichever game.

I'd start Bob today and if he plays well I'd start him again tomorrow. Play the hot hand while you can.

I would recommend this as well. The plan with the goalies as to who plays when hasn't really been clear.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Jake would be one the last ones I would trade just for the fact hes a wing.

We are too clogged at C.

I'd def. give Read straight up or Danny B. if it was Bob + another piece.

Course Danny B would have to waive the NTC. Yeeeeah.

we too are too clogged at center.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Jake would be one the last ones I would trade just for the fact hes a wing.

We are too clogged at C.

I'd def. give Read straight up or Danny B. if it was Bob + another piece.

Course Danny B would have to waive the NTC. Yeeeeah.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bob + for Briere? Try Briere + for Bob ... and you have to pay some of Briere's contract to get the deal done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad