Bob

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Rumor mill is churning that the Flyers may be in on the Luongo sweepstakes now. Imagine that - the city known for over-rating its goaltenders acquiring the most over-rated goaltender in the league. It would be a match made in ... Philly.

That being said, the Canucks would have to take on some salary at least through the rest of this year, and it would spell the end to Ilya Bryzgalov in Philadelphia. With the salary cap rollback next year, the Flyers would love to have Luongo's lighter cap hit, surely.

Interesting stuff, might be worth following the story.

As for Bobrovsky, I think he's been good. I wouldn't say spectacular, but he's been far above average for what the Jackets have experienced over the last three or so years, which is certainly good enough to earn them some wins.

For me, the bigger story has been the revamped look of the team overall. There is no more figure skating going on - no forwards taking long turns and easing back into the defensive zone, or swiping at sticks instead of finishing checks. The Jackets have been hard nosed, in your face, and full of energy. For this sort of team to be successful, they have to have confidence - and confidence starts in goal. If Sergei Bobrovsky provides solid play and confidence, then he has absolutely been worth the price.

TheDrizzle81

Nov 13, 2008
Marlton NJ
Ill puke if the flyers get luongo. Bryz isn't a terrible goalie. He's an ok goalie with a terrible contract. Luongo sucks with a sucky deal.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Just think, the Jackets would have loved to a have had a sucky goal tender like Luongo over the last decade.

Amazing.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Rumor mill is churning that the Flyers may be in on the Luongo sweepstakes now. Imagine that - the city known for over-rating its goaltenders acquiring the most over-rated goaltender in the league. It would be a match made in ... Philly.

That being said, the Canucks would have to take on some salary at least through the rest of this year, and it would spell the end to Ilya Bryzgalov in Philadelphia. With the salary cap rollback next year, the Flyers would love to have Luongo's lighter cap hit, surely.

Interesting stuff, might be worth following the story.

As for Bobrovsky, I think he's been good. I wouldn't say spectacular, but he's been far above average for what the Jackets have experienced over the last three or so years, which is certainly good enough to earn them some wins.

For me, the bigger story has been the revamped look of the team overall. There is no more figure skating going on - no forwards taking long turns and easing back into the defensive zone, or swiping at sticks instead of finishing checks. The Jackets have been hard nosed, in your face, and full of energy. For this sort of team to be successful, they have to have confidence - and confidence starts in goal. If Sergei Bobrovsky provides solid play and confidence, then he has absolutely been worth the price.

I think Bob has been great. In my book he has only given up one bad goal, and that was Erat's.

On Monday, he had no chance on goals 2 & 3 with 3 being a defensive breakdown of epic proportions.

I thought, and many may disagree, that he was interfered with on goal 2. He was clearly pissed, and the replay showed that he was bumped by the Wings player, and showed as he tried to move across the crease that the Wings players skate was tangled with his.

When you compare that sequence with some of the BS goalie interference calls that have been made thus far, that should have been called hands down.

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH
Well somebody just said on Sirius XM NHL Radio (sorry I didn't catch who said it) it's rumored Columbus could be the city that Mike Gillis keeps hinting at for a Luongo trade. :help

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Well somebody just said on Sirius XM NHL Radio (sorry I didn't catch who said it) it's rumored Columbus could be the city that Mike Gillis keeps hinting at for a Luongo trade. :help

If that is the case, according to what Gillis said he would be waiting on us to move another contract. He is stating he would have to wait.

I doubt it is true, but I would be curious what assets we would be giving up for this awesome contract of his.

Doesn't really pass the smell test.

Probably the most hilarious part of this is that Gillis is already at 60 million next year with 14 contracts. Let him fill out that roster with 4 million and see how much he wants for Luongo then.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

I don't see it being the case, I just don't.

Actually, I can, but it would have to be a massive mismatch in value to make it so.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I think Bob has been great. In my book he has only given up one bad goal, and that was Erat's.

On Monday, he had no chance on goals 2 & 3 with 3 being a defensive breakdown of epic proportions.

I thought, and many may disagree, that he was interfered with on goal 2. He was clearly pissed, and the replay showed that he was bumped by the Wings player, and showed as he tried to move across the crease that the Wings players skate was tangled with his.

When you compare that sequence with some of the BS goalie interference calls that have been made thus far, that should have been called hands down.

Potato/potahto ... he was beaten on 3-4 occasions in the Detroit game, and was saved by the posts. I wouldn't say great personally, but we're arguing semantics anyhow, because in the grand scheme we are agreeing :laugh:.

As I said, his play has helped inspire a confidence that I don't honestly think we've ever seen with this team before.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
Potato/potahto ... he was beaten on 3-4 occasions in the Detroit game, and was saved by the posts. I wouldn't say great personally, but we're arguing semantics anyhow, because in the grand scheme we are agreeing :laugh:.

As I said, his play has helped inspire a confidence that I don't honestly think we've ever seen with this team before.

Granted, 3 of the posts came on the pk, and the other during the shootout. I don't think any of them were first shots, either, and I think one of them he was bumped as well. Can't quite remember.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Granted, 3 of the posts came on the pk, and the other during the shootout. I don't think any of them were first shots, either, and I think one of them he was bumped as well. Can't quite remember.

Good news is I think all of the posts came on the same pp so only one would have counted :laugh:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
... he was beaten on 3-4 occasions in the Detroit game, and was saved by the posts.

I know that we all react to shots off the posts as having beaten the goalie, but his job is not to defend the posts, it's the space in between for which he's responsible! Hitting the post may be close to a goal (and that sound usually brings us out of our seats!),but it's no more meaningful than putting it ten feet up into the net. The goalie either gives up a goal or he doesn't, close doesn't matter. Being saved by the posts is no different than being saved by a forward blocking a shot, out front. Neither counts as a shot on goal.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I know that we all react to shots off the posts as having beaten the goalie, but his job is not to defend the posts, it's the space in between for which he's responsible! Hitting the post may be close to a goal (and that sound usually brings us out of our seats!),but it's no more meaningful than putting it ten feet up into the net. The goalie either gives up a goal or he doesn't, close doesn't matter. Being saved by the posts is no different than being saved by a forward blocking a shot, out front. Neither counts as a shot on goal.

I have to agree there are various degrees to getting beat. At that level its a game of inches and a lot of saves are made at the last moment. These guys know their angles and they are covering the net not the posts. I understand most goalies wouldn't willingly let a puck go off the post but I see a lot of post shots that just miss the goalie by an inch. That means had it been on net it would have been a save.

My only concern is the possibility of Bobrovski getting frustrated. I think it takes a special player to succeed on a team like columbus because you have to put up with a lot of games that are not fun to play in. I think Bobrovsky is very talented but what we are going to find out this season is whether or not he is mentally tough. If he is Columbus may have finally found their franchise goalie.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
My only concern is the possibility of Bobrovski getting frustrated. I think it takes a special player to succeed on a team like columbus because you have to put up with a lot of games that are not fun to play in. I think Bobrovsky is very talented but what we are going to find out this season is whether or not he is mentally tough.

Very good point!

bizzz*

When I played as a kid our coach told us: "Posts are goalie's hands".

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the fact that Bob is likely still adjusting from playing in the KHL. Speed of the game is different in the NHL and that could have something to do with rebound control. The kids athletic and works for every start. He's quick, agile and seems to be driven to succeed in the NHL. I've been impressed thus far and think his game will only get better as the season moves on. However, as teams in the NHL get back up to speed I think he's going to take hits to his stats. I'm not sure how "good" this CBJ team will actually be. They have little offense and if you can't hold the puck you're going to play in your own zone a LOT.

I like the acquisition and hope he pushes Mason to give us a punchers chance on any night.

bizzz*

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the fact that Bob is likely still adjusting from playing in the KHL. Speed of the game is different in the NHL and that could have something to do with rebound control. The kids athletic and works for every start. He's quick, agile and seems to be driven to succeed in the NHL. I've been impressed thus far and think his game will only get better as the season moves on. However, as teams in the NHL get back up to speed I think he's going to take hits to his stats. I'm not sure how "good" this CBJ team will actually be. They have little offense and if you can't hold the puck you're going to play in your own zone a LOT.

I like the acquisition and hope he pushes Mason to give us a punchers chance on any night.

I mentioned it before. He didn't look very good when he just came to the KHL. Different angles require different positioning. Rinne had same problems. All of Bob's 4 shutouts happend in his last 8 games.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio

You miss by an inch or you miss by a mile, you still missed. That is what you did by hitting the post. You still missed the net.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Hard not to like Bob

he cuts angles, and is very active but doesn't get out of position. I watched Mason and was hoping they tied him to the net vs. Phoenix.. out of position a lot, gets caught moving the wrong way..arrrgghhh

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
4 allowed last night. Prosecution rests. Does the defense have anything?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
4 allowed last night. Prosecution rests. Does the defense have anything?

At some point we are going to have to address system. It's not just the defense, the forwards are missing assignments. Case in point, BD yelling at Boll, when it was Letestu, for a missed assignment that left a man open in the slot 8 feet from the goal tender.

Having said that, with as many neutral zone turnovers we've had I am amazed we haven't given up more goals.

Beyond effort, beyond skill is execution. We aren't doing it. The coaching staff is going to have to simplify things if we can't execute within this system.

On a side note, I thought it was odd in pre-game when they talked about Richards saying "I don't want to here about system" from the players. Is everything ok between the coaching staff and the players?

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
The real question is, what system have they had time to implement.

6 day camp, mostly used to shake the rust off of guys who aren't playing. Games every other night, with lots of back to back's thrown in.

February 3rd and 4th, are the first back to back days off, in other words a chance to practice full ice and continue learning a system.

That gets followed up with Feb 8th, and 9th, another opportunity to learn a system.

Yeah I know we all want to believe that hard work and a good system will overcome the lack of talent. I even saw someone (I'm not going to say who in order to protect their identity) in the offseason say that they thought the Jackets would be a lot like the 1980 olympic team. The problem is, that team had almost a year to prepare and learn their system, practicing every day for 6 months before even playing their first exhabition game. This shortened season is a lot more like the current olympic tournaments; collections of all stars coming together quickly.

The teams with the advantages are the ones that 1) have tons of talent, or 2) didn't make many changes, so have a vast majority of the team that already know the system.

Neither of which the Blue Jackets fit into.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The real question is, what system have they had time to implement.

I think you have illustrated my point. Time to simplify. Whatever they are doing now isn't working and that aren't executing. Actually they are bombing. I had mentioned in other posts we have 5 new players, 3 are forwards.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think you have illustrated my point. Time to simplify. Whatever they are doing now isn't working and that aren't executing. Actually they are bombing. I had mentioned in other posts we have 5 new players, 3 are forwards.

And throw in Calvert who didn't play (I don't think) under Richards and Cam who had limited exposure and Joey who is in a new role and I believe this is a very good (even better) argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad