Player Discussion Bo Horvat

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I said to my ol' Dad tonight, after Bo scored in overtime.. "Who does he remind you of right now?"

And he goes "Who??"

And I go: "Freakin' Kesler in the Nashville series back in 2011."

And he's like: ^_^

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Bo's performance thus far in the playoffs is why it is so important to play playoff games. You really can't properly evaluate your roster until you see your players perform in the playoffs. A player's regular season advanced stats is meaningless if that player can't deliver in the playoffs. I am pretty confident now that you can win with Bo.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Bo's performance thus far in the playoffs is why it is so important to play playoff games. You really can't properly evaluate your roster until you see your players perform in the playoffs. A player's regular season advanced stats is meaningless if that player can't deliver in the playoffs. I am pretty confident now that you can win with Bo.

good post, agreed, this is the time you see who can win with and how to shape your team for the future.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
vHZ4dpt
FB-IMG-1597495260943

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
"His offensive skills, 1-on-1, beating guys and being strong on the puck have always been there," Sedin said. "When people talk about Bo they talk about almost a defensive centerman, but here in Canada people are very fast to put a tag on someone when they play in the [World Junior Championship]. They put the tag on Bo that he's good defensively, he's steady, he doesn't make a lot of mistakes. But I've always seen Bo as a better offensive player than a defensive player."

Henrik on Horvat and his play this series.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Sounds like Hank is calling out our dumb f*** management/coaching staff for trying to make Bo a shutdown center when he's obviously not one. He'd likely have 30+ goals during the reg season if the team had an actual reliable shutdown center so Bo could focus on offence

Last edited:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
The Canucks don't have a better option and that's why Horvat plays the shut down role. If Gaudette play center, Canucks need to shelter him so Horvat gets tougher mins. With Sutter in the lineup, Sutter can take some of the tough mins from Horvat. The reality is both Sutter and Gaudette is not a good fit on the third line.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
The Canucks don't have a better option and that's why Horvat plays the shut down role. If Gaudette play center, Canucks need to shelter him so Horvat gets tougher mins. With Sutter in the lineup, Sutter can take some of the tough mins from Horvat. The reality is both Sutter and Gaudette is not a good fit on the third line.

Agreed. Canucks should look to upgrade on Gaudette for a better fitting 3C. Horvat's offence would increase and the teams defence would be better.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

They acquired Tofoli at the deadline which means they were happy with Bo in that role. Why not just move Gaudette to wing and acquire an actual 3rd line center?

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
They acquired Tofoli at the deadline which means they were happy with Bo in that role. Why not just move Gaudette to wing and acquire an actual 3rd line center?

They got TT because Boeser was hurt. Not sure what does that have to do with Horvat. Gaudette the last 2 years had played center 99 percent of the time. Don't think Green has any plans to move Gaudette to the wing.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Sounds like Hank is calling out our dumb f*** management/coaching staff for trying to make Bo a shutdown center when he's obviously not one. He'd likely have 30+ goals during the reg season if the team had an actual reliable shutdown center so Bo could focus on offence
Hank is stating the obvious that Horvat has better offensive skills than defensive. Management and coaches have worked with Bo to make him a better defensive player. They traded for Sutter and signed Beagle to take a load off. Actually JT Miller has helped as well. Bo has a lot off great. attributes and has developed well in Vancouver despite the false projections put on him. I remember Hodgson was suppose to be good defensively as well, so Bo is not alone.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Yes. I think this is why Eriksson can still fulfill a role on Horvat's line when needed. When Eriksson is there, he can be the defensive forward and Horvat can up his offensive game a bit. But it's of course even better when Toffoli is healthy, like shown last night.

Horvat plays a tough role on this team. Centering a mostly offensively inadequate 2nd line since Pettersson arrived hasn't been kind to Horvat's own offensive production. With enough talent around him, his line can be a secondary threat and he's always an option on PP1.

I think it was a wise decision by management to put Pettersson at center and then have Horvat as the second punch. I understand the thought. Having two (although Pettersson is basically already a superstar) franchise centers is a very good recipe for success. And then we haven't mentioned the other bits.

Last edited:

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Bo is great on pp bumper spot. He is an underrated finisher. He is not great forechecker or at puck retrieval but with Miller on his line he does not have to be. Horvat is not perfect but he is contributing greatly. Goals matter and he is scoring them. Happy for him after 5 games with no points another 2 goal game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad