Player Discussion Bo Horvat

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Doesn't that exactly align with what I'm saying? I don't know if it bears out in the numbers or not, but that aligns exactly with my (anecdotal) perception; when with wingers like Virtanen or Pearson or whoever else, Bo's so worried about his defensive responsibilities that he doesn't look to play a mean, possession heavy offensive game. Eriksson, rightfully or not, "enables" this a little bit more because he bears some of that defensive burden.

Isn't Horvat just getting caved in defensively, regardless of the Kesler comparison? I agree that the Kesler perception is unfair - Horvat is a very good offensive center, and it'd be nice if we could play him that way. He's not Patrice Bergeron.

Horvat seems quite capable of carrying a second line that gets traditional offensive minutes in a #1 scoring line - #2 scoring line - #3 shutdown line - #4 energy line scheme, where lines 1 and 3 take on the hardest matchups. I don't think he's capable (yet, if not ever) of taking on the toughest assignments, while still delivering positive results offensively. Moving Bo to the wing and putting him with a Turris/RNH-level center is just one way to make that happen, if we can't find a more traditional "Malhotra-like" center to take on the defensive burden from the third line. Another alternative would be to find a Burrows-like winger that's both capable offensively and near Selke-level defensively. Of the three potential solutions, I think that's the hardest player to find.

Like a Baertschi type maybe.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Horvat's season has been a bit enigmatic imo. When you take away his pp goals, the inescapable conclusion is that his line just doesn't drive much five-on-five offense. Whether that comes from being tethered for most of the season to a fire hydrant like Eriksson, is one possible reason.

But the other troubling feature of his line is the number of times they get scored on. Yet I also realize that part of the reason for that is that Bo's line draws all the tough d-zone shut-down assignments against some of the NHL's top players.

But on balance, Horvat's season has been mildly disappointing to me. Of course there's been speculation for some time that he's playing with some sort of lingering injury.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Horvat's season has been a bit enigmatic imo. When you take away his pp goals, the inescapable conclusion is that his line just doesn't drive much five-on-five offense. Whether that comes from being tethered for most of the season to a fire hydrant like Eriksson, is one possible reason.

But the other troubling feature of his line is the number of times they get scored on. Yet I also realize that part of the reason for that is that Bo's line draws all the tough d-zone shut-down assignments against some of the NHL's top players.

But on balance, Horvat's season has been mildly disappointing to me. Of course there's been speculation for some time that he's playing with some sort of lingering injury.

Another explanation apart from him potentially being injured is that he simple isn’t as good as many thought. He’s very streaky offensively and has always struggled defensively. One of the more overrated players on the team imo.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
His wingers are a good middle 6 winger and an AHL 2nd liner while being given by far the most difficult 5 on 5 minutes of any player on the team. For these reasons, I tend to not like pointing the blame at Horvat but it seems like thats what many fans are doing in the last few days.

I have no problem criticizing players, I don't just criticize Green and Benning. My issue is that theres probably about 15 players who deserve criticism before Horvat.

I agree with this. At his best he can produce like a 1b. Pearson is having a great year but he is ultimately a good complimentary player, he doesn’t make those around him better. If Bo had a regular line mate of a Nylander or Ehlers caliber (and I’m a Jake Virtanen fan)+ a 3C that did more heavy lifting in terms of matchups, he would produce more.

He’s being used as a Selke caliber centre despite not quite being at that level, just yet.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Another explanation apart from him potentially being injured is that he simple isn’t as good as many thought. He’s very streaky offensively and has always struggled defensively. One of the more overrated players on the team imo.

Doesn't help that he has a coach that has no idea how to properly deploy him and thinks he's an elite shutdown center.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Me tonight:
giphy.gif

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Anyone still complaining that he's not tough enough?
23 and a half minutes, 20-9 on faceoffs and two huge goals. That's 6 in 6 games. This is why we drafted him so high. He's built for the playoffs!

Reactions: HockeyWooot

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Horvat was a beast in the flames series as well.

He is built for the playoffs. And he can fight too.

Goes back to his junior days, pretty sure he scored a big goal in the junior playoffs or mem tournament.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This is the most elite hockey he has played in his entire career, Bo Horvat has arrived folks. He has finally broken out to the player he can be, I got a chuck of a STL Blues fan comparing his performance to McDavids.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Anyone still complaining that he's not tough enough?
23 and a half minutes, 20-9 on faceoffs and two huge goals. That's 6 in 6 games. This is why we drafted him so high. He's built for the playoffs!

BuT hOw MaNY HITZZZZZZZ dId hE hAvE!?!?!!?!??!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad