Player Discussion Bo Horvat

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
he's a fine captain and works harder than you're all making him out to be. he was never great defensively even tho having to play that role because of a lack of any other options.

This is the result of comparing Horvat to Kesler or Bergeron when he was drafted...

He was always going to be a point producer in the NHL but jury was always out on his defensive game. To me, he plays like Daymond Langkow. Can be a 1C with elite players or can be a decent 2C.

Reactions: CalderSchmalder

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
This is the result of comparing Horvat to Kesler or Bergeron when he was drafted...

He was always going to be a point producer in the NHL but jury was always out on his defensive game. To me, he plays like Daymond Langkow. Can be a 1C with elite players or can be a decent 2C.

Pretty much. I've previously compared him to Legwand and been ridiculed for doing so but that's who he reminds me of.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Horvat already has twice as many 20 goal seasons so you were rightfully ridiculed

Such an odd and random statistic to bring up, and he's got 4..as opposed to 2 when Legwand was on pace for several more and most likely would've hit them without injury? lol. The fact that some get their panties in a twist over this comparison is one of the more bizarre things I've seen on this site.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
16 seasons and 20 goals twice. Not the best comparison lol

There is a reason why you were ridiculed. Keep going lol

Really dude? This is hilarious.

Legwand had 27 goals in 06/07, and was on pace for 21 goals in 02/03 and 10/11. Plus had 19 in 78 games in 11/12.

You may also want to check how many of Horvat's goals were on the PP compared to Legwands...not that this statistic is particularly meaningful or relevant in the first place and it's silly that this is your reasoning for why it's a bad comparison.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Feels wrong to say but it's true: he really isn't bringing much to the table. He's a workhorse on the dot, like he has been the last several years, but other than that.... nothing.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Turning out to be mediocre, mid pack player. Skating problems prevent him from being more than this and, at this point, his skating will never improve much. Contract, much ballyhooed as tremendous move at the time, now appears more than appropriate. Unbelieveable -74 career wise - given time he might approach Steve Tambellini's career - 134.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Ew9nE09VEAQrGm5

Congrats Bo Horvat

Having a really solid year and has stepped up nicely since Pettersson went down

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I guess Mike did leave Jim with "something" :D

I'd be curious to see who Horvat's main wingers are with and without Pettersson in the lineup, and what happens to Bo's offensive output as a result.

For example, last night Horvat had Boeser on his wing instead of Pearson. That strikes me as a significant upgrade.

It reminds me of an intermission panel with Murphy and iMac early into Pettersson's absence: they were talking about the possibility of running with Pettersson, Miller, and Horvat as the top 3 centres. iMac basically conceded that the Canucks don't have enough quality wingers to run 3 lines like that.

But enough about Nylander and Tkachuk.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
He always got the worst wingers in the top6. If he was drafted by Jimbo he would have recived the best wingers. Jim has some bias regarding the players he drafted or brought in. Look at how many chances Jake is getting? If the roles were reversed do you think Bo would have gotten 7 years?

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Great player. He can elevate his play and score a timely goal where really needed.

Hes not perfect so in the eyes of some not good enough. Obviously can’t do this at every moment the Canucks have adversity, if he did he’d be a top 3 player in the league.

I think some of the stretches of bad play earlier this season where he seems to lose his legs, might be more attributed to a condensed schedule more than anything?

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I hope Motte eventually gets a shot with him and Hoglander, all three of them (at least on the PK) are so skilled at breaking up plays and transitioning up ice due to their defensive IQ that they'd be good for a shutdown unit.

Reactions: Regress2TheMeme

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If he actually had good wingers, his point total would be much better.

Hard to do much when saddled with Loui and Pearson
Bo is great at using his size, speed, and strength to open space for his wingers to be creative and make plays. Too bad we don’t have a winger with the skills to take advantage of that space. I see Ehlers and Nylander doing exactly that on their teams, and it just rubs salt into the wound that is Virtanen.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Bo is great at using his size, speed, and strength to open space for his wingers to be creative and make plays. Too bad we don’t have a winger with the skills to take advantage of that space. I see Ehlers and Nylander doing exactly that on their teams, and it just rubs salt into the wound that is Virtanen.

I think Virtanen has turned a corner.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006

Funniest part of it, is that he goes into Toronto to get the shot, and doesn't get recognized. The life of a west coast hockey player, nobody out east knows who you are. If he was a Leafs player it would have been front page news across TSN/Sportsnet for a couple of days.

edited to correct link

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->