Player Discussion Bo Horvat

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Just wanted to throw this out there. Anybody else sense something is up?

Team is not jumping at the chance at making Horvat the captain. Benning on the radio this week

said " we want Horvat to continue to round out his game and we have plenty of leadership on the team."

I really believe Horvat will be traded at the draft next year. for a big name RHD ....

Who can that be I believe Benning will take another shot at PK Subban and this time it will happen.

I would guess it would look like this

To Nashville - Bo Horvat

To Vancouver - PK Subban & Nashville 1st round pick in 2019.

my support to back this up

1) Horvat was almost traded for Subban two years ago at the draft. it was

To Montreal - Horvat & 5th overall

To Vancouver - Subban & 10th overall it did not happen because Montreal was not convinced the PL Dubious would make it to 5th overall ( the player they wanted ) and they were right as he went to Columbus 3rd overall

2) Subban is wearing out his welcome in Nashville with his big personality and I believe they give it one more shot to win the cup this year. if not they move on.

3) Dante Fabbro needs to be signed by Nashville after this year. they can not allow him to play out his senior year and pull another Vesey..... they would need to move out a RSD for him

4) Canucks want another center and they will draft one this year. meaning someone has to move on.

5) Benning did not draft Horvat

6) Subban would be welcomed with open arms in Vancouver by the casual money spending Canuck fans. may even be named Captain - finally allowing him to control the room something he has been looking for.
7) why the 1st round pick from Nashville Subban has 3 years left after this upcoming year at $27 million. Horvat will have 4 years under club control at $22 million.

so Vancouver drafts a blue chip center this year to replace Horvat. Get Subban for at least 3 years to add with Hughes and Vancouver"s defence has gone thru a huge change.

and they get another 1st round pick in a draft they are hosting to help with other team needs

this may not happen and they could name Horvat captain at the start of the season. but if they don"t this could be Bo Horvat"s last year in Vancouver?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
One of the following will occur in my opinion:

1) Horvat will get married to Caitlyn Jenner which will then prompt Benning to trade Horvat to an Eastern Conference team.

2) Horvat will not marry Caitlyn Jenner or have any interaction of any kind with Caitlyn Jenner. This will then lead to Horvat staying as a Canuck for many years and being a key core piece moving forward.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Trading a 23 year old centre for a 29 year old defenceman doesn't make any sense for the canucks right now, especially at a time when they appear to have finally committed to a meticulous rebuild. The canucks also just drafted Quinn Hughes who many expect to be the next offensive phenom on D in the league. Why trade for Subban right now, exactly, when the canucks are unlikely to be competing for a cup for at least 3 more seasons, if not more?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Ya interesting read but not a chance were trading Horvat. Were actually starting to see a plan now and it does not include trading a 23 year old for a 29 year old.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Ya interesting read but not a chance were trading Horvat. Were actually starting to see a plan now and it does not include trading a 23 year old for a 29 year old.

Don’t forget the 1st round pick coming back. That is meant to mitigate the age and contract differences.

I can see something like this happening. NSH will overload their centre position, but wth a strong young asset. It all comes down to them wanting to get rid of Subban.

The Canucks could also move Horvat to a team desperate for a C. One that has a young RHD they are willing to move.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Don’t forget the 1st round pick coming back. That is meant to mitigate the age and contract differences.

I can see something like this happening. NSH will overload their centre position, but wth a strong young asset. It all comes down to them wanting to get rid of Subban.

The Canucks could also move Horvat to a team desperate for a C. One that has a young RHD they are willing to move.
Subban would be a piece to add if we were a piece away were not. Only way I see this is if Pettersson pans out right away as does Gaudette that's a big ask. Pettersson having a Barzal rookie year and Gaudette being 20/30 area would have to be a basis for me to make this deal. I hope that happens but not banking on it. The first is great but it would also be a late first.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I don't see anything wrong with going into this season with a group of alternate captains and then waiting until next year to name one.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Maybe neither? I know he is not going anywhere, given his age and our offensive outlook this season. Boeser is the better player, maybe he gets the C eventually. It is sort of a silly thing to be hung up on.

Reactions: Catbug
Feb 24, 2017
One of the following will occur in my opinion:

1) Horvat will get married to Caitlyn Jenner which will then prompt Benning to trade Horvat to an Eastern Conference team.

2) Horvat will not marry Caitlyn Jenner or have any interaction of any kind with Caitlyn Jenner. This will then lead to Horvat staying as a Canuck for many years and being a key core piece moving forward.
What’s with the Jenner schtick lately?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not sure I understand this thread....Benning is already on record as saying the Canucks are going with three alternate captains next season because they want Horvat to focus on being the best hockey player he can be, without the distraction and pressure of being captain and facing the media storm night after night.

This is one time where I take Benning at face value. Horvat is the Canucks future captain fur sure, unless of course they were acquire Karlsson. Besides, Canucks are so desperately thin down the middle, there's no way they could ever get equivalent assets back in a trade. Just not happening.

Reactions: Catbug

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I could see Horvat being moved if Adam Gaudette proves to be a top 6 calibre center, and if Elias Pettersson's abilities translate to that of an NHL center and if the Canucks' select Jack Hughes 1st overall next draft. But that's a lot of "if's".

Reactions: Zombotron

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
This is ridiculous. I will eat my hat if Horvat is traded within the next 10 years (key word traded).

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Our only good centre. Let's trade him! Yeah, no.

And why would Nashville be adding a 1st round pick to PK Subban to get Horvat exactly? Contracts aren't even nearly that different.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
1) Horvat was almost traded for Subban two years ago at the draft. it was

To Montreal - Horvat & 5th overall

this one is news to me. I recall the 5th was in play for Subban, and the Habs take the French guy Dubois, but horvat included? 21 year old Horvat? no way.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Why so wild when a deal was already in place at the 2016 draft involving both players?

That deal was between Vancouver and Montreal, not Vancouver and Nashville.

There were picks traded going both ways 5th OA for 10th OA and not just a unilateral first heading back to Vancouver.

Horvat has become a significantly stronger player since 2016. This somewhat negates the point about picks but creates the problem that we would have no top six centers on this team post trade. This team already has zero center depth so to trade Horvat would create even larger issues.

PK wouldn't want to play for a rebuilding team. If he has any say in where he goes why would he want to come here?

Lastly, not putting the C on a player could just be a call made based on how Horvat is as a person. We don't know if he can handle the C as a player and as a person. We don't know if he's the best leader in the locker room. There are things between giving a player the C and trading him this season and most of them are vastly more likely than your scenario.

Reactions: lousy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad