Player Discussion Bo Horvat

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Pearson might not be that guy for the 2nd line if we want to be Cup contenders. Kopitar played beside Dustin Brown, Williams, Gaborik, and Penner which is pretty superior to Pearson. There's 1 more step this roster has to take to win games at ease, without working their butt off and using some more skill/IQ.
If Daniel is healthy in 2012 they don;t beat us. All the games in that series were very close and Quick was playing out of his mind. They steamrolled all the teams after us. If only Gillis traded for Jeff Carter... we would have won the cup 100% in 2012.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
If Daniel is healthy in 2012 they don;t beat us. All the games in that series were very close and Quick was playing out of his mind. They steamrolled all the teams after us. If only Gillis traded for Jeff Carter... we would have won the cup 100% in 2012.
That's my biggest criticism of Gillis, he never went all in. Just kept going back to the bargain bin and preserving our late 1sts in pursuit of the Detroit model, which in hindsight was really the Lidstrom model.

He should have sold the farm any year after 2010. Lots of big names that shook loose in those years. Carter would have been great.

Bo with a star winger beside him all season is at least a 70+ point guy. The absolute garbage he had on his wing in 2018-2019 and still hitting 61 points...

likash

Apr 17, 2019
That's my biggest criticism of Gillis, he never went all in. Just kept going back to the bargain bin and preserving our late 1sts in pursuit of the Detroit model, which in hindsight was really the Lidstrom model.

He should have sold the farm any year after 2010. Lots of big names that shook loose in those years. Carter would have been great.

Bo with a star winger beside him all season is at least a 70+ point guy. The absolute garbage he had on his wing in 2018-2019 and still hitting 61 points...

I think he userstood that he missed the chance to win with that core and that's why he wanted to rebuild in 2013/2014. Schneider for nr 9 pick(Horvat) was a rebuild move. People forget that he was on the radio before he was fired and kind of said the team needs a rebuild. I think he was already fighting with the owner on this subject and they did not reach common ground and he was fired. Aqua did not fire him beacuse of the chants " Fire Gillis"chants . That was the pretext. You don;t fire someone for missing the playoffs once, after he signed a new deal. He fired him because Aqua wanted to squeeze the core for some more playoffs appearances and Gillis told him the team window was closed and the team needs to be rebuild. Why do you think he hired Linden and Jimbo. They promised him they would turn things around quickly. When Linden wised up in 2018 he was also "fired". Jimbo is still in place because he would never tell Aqua that he is wrong and let's him do whatever he wants. Aqua is the "real" President/GM of the Canucks. I suspect GM's around the league know this. That's why some of them refused to work with Aqua after Linden left.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think he userstood that he missed the chance to win with that core and that's why he wanted to rebuild in 2013/2014. Schneider for nr 9 pick(Horvat) was a rebuild move. People forget that he was on the radio before he was fired and kind of said the team needs a rebuild. I think he was already fighting with the owner on this subject and they did not reach common ground and he was fired. Aqua did not fire him beacuse of the chants " Fire Gillis"chants . That was the pretext. You don;t fire someone for missing the playoffs once after he signed a new deal. He fired him because Aqua wanted to squeeze the core for some more playoffs appearances and Gillis told him the team window was closed and the team needs to be rebuild. Why do you think he hired Linden and Jimbo. They promised him they would turn things around quickly. When Linden wised up in 2018 he was also "fired". Jimbo is still in place because he would never tell Aqua that he is wrong and let's him do whatever he wants. Aqua is the "real" President/GM of the Canucks. I suspect GM's around the league know this. That's why some of them refused to work with Aqua after Linden left.
I remember that radio (1040) Gillis interview. And thinking at that time, “oh crap, this guy is done”. Then Benning is hired, keeps the same core, adds a few new faces, and gets 101 points. That 101 point season was the absolute worst thing that could have happened. It gave Aquilini confirmation in his philosophy we could retool, instead of full rebuild. It’s why we are mediocre, at best, right now, and are doomed for another five years. That one 101 point season will cost us at least a decade of craperolla. If Aquilini would have only listened to an actual hockey mind in Gillis. Crap!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The Flames had a players' only closed door meeting at the start of the season. Did the Canucks have one? If not, it's kind of long overdue?

Reactions: HockeyWooot

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
I remember that radio (1040) Gillis interview. And thinking at that time, “oh crap, this guy is done”. Then Benning is hired, keeps the same core, adds a few new faces, and gets 101 points. That 101 point season was the absolute worst thing that could have happened. It gave Aquilini confirmation in his philosophy we could retool, instead of full rebuild. It’s why we are mediocre, at best, right now, and are doomed for another five years. That one 101 point season will cost us at least a decade of craperolla. If Aquilini would have only listened to an actual hockey mind in Gillis. Crap!

Yeah, but it's not like there was a generational player available in the 2015 draft, and like a Jack Eichel who would go 1st OA in most other draf . . . oh . . . oh . . . <sobs> . . . well . . . <choking sounds> . . . ahhhhh, let me catch my brea . . . <wails> . . . huh! did you know that we are in the best position to end Canada's Cup drought? Ahhhhh, feels better.

Reactions: Luckylarry

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Being cold helps you wake up

#ColdShowers

tenor.gif

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

maybe if aquaman didn't interfere then maybe gillis could have made moves to bring the team to the top. but nah... collects money from customers attending games pre covid. then says okay benning you can go ahead and give these ridiculous amount of money to beagle/roussel/sutters of the worlds.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Horvat plays like a soft european, i remember the heart and passion he played with as a rookie and his game has just completely changed.

I’d move him for a similar aged top 2/3 defender easily.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
this is what happens when you and your team think sutter is a defensively capable 3rd line center. round hole, square peg for him, then for horvat to try to cover the damage. (and to think sutter makes the same as tanev.. i laugh and laugh, then cry a bit)

horvat is playing a role he shouldn't be. and yeah, he's streaky. that's not strange for a 2nd liner.

he's a fine captain and works harder than you're all making him out to be. he was never great defensively even tho having to play that role because of a lack of any other options.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
how would you frame that trade?

If the trade was a win on paper initially, fans and the team would be behind it.
For example Zegras and Drysdale sort of trade.

The Nucks often get themselves in a corner with players because of projection or need rather than performance.

MacEwan has always been a Centre; plays on the right wing.

Podolzin apparently plays Centre and left or right wing, the Canucks will probably play him on the wing when he could fix the gaping hole at 3C.

Supposedly Virtanen was a RHD Left winger like Ovi but Greener plays him on the right side:
Capitals' Ovechkin moving back to left wing - NHL.com "He's better on the right side a little bit defensively, but his talent is on the left side,"

Anyway, the 3C centre may already be Nucks property (Lind etc) and moving Horvat for a younger offensive Centre should be considered especially because Horvat is a UFA soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->