Blues Trade Proposals 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Aren't signing bonuses taxed only in the state of the team you're playing for? If so, that'd create an even larger gap in taxes paid.

As I said lazy approach due to a busy day. Definitely worth revisiting in depth.

I'd heard rumor that bonuses were taxed based on where your primary residence was - some players like Matthews have those in the US and would pay significantly less than Toronto's taxes there...

Regardless I hadn't even considered signing bonuses and how those would affect the dollar values - it's well worth figuring out.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Or Tarasenko. I am not advocating it as I love depth, but it is a fun question to kick around.

Better then going after each other over player that left.

I get ya. I was just mentioning that it would require losing another player for financial reasons. So it would be Thomas, Kyrou and Schwartz for Eichel

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
I get ya. I was just mentioning that it would require losing another player for financial reasons. So it would be Thomas, Kyrou and Schwartz for Eichel
It would hurt our depth on the wings...a lot. It was our depth that won us a Stanley Cup. But there would be no other way to make it work under the cap. But could you imagine Schenn as a third line center? That's crazy center depth.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Buffalo needs quality D. It would be more like Thomas, Parayko and a 1st (maybe more) for Eichel and Jokiharju. Just don’t think the cost would be worth it, as one would expect for a team built around a collection of high end players but no true superstars. Unless the Sabres are retaining (and they should not) it upsets the roster dynamic to try to fit a $10M salary under the current flat cap.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
In all seriousness, even though Eichel is a great player (though I have some doubts about his influence on the players around him), it would ruin the Blues’ depth to trade two high quality cost controlled assets in Thomas and Kyrou to return him. In addition to those players, it would probably cost another veteran like Schwartz or Parayko who would no longer fit under the salary cap.

I guess I’m less enthusiastic about Eichel than most people. I just don’t see him inspiring his teammates to raise their play like you want from an elite player. If the Blues are going to blow up their depth for a special player, he isn’t the guy I’d do it for.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
You compare Berglund to Pietrangelo. :laugh:

Berglund contract was ok, Lehterä and Allen contracts were horrendous.

Now Scandella's is IMO same category. Osa move By Army. Hesitate move.
The Scandella-extension is certainly looking expensive and premature. He should have been one of the guys getting squeezed from the finances of the pandemic, yet Army gives him 2-years and $1.5M/year more than he probably should have. The blue-line is looking pretty concerning if Parayko isn't healthy, or becomes a cap casualty. There's an infusion of talent needed on the back-end; and the bit that the Blues do have in the system just had shoulder surgery.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I’m home today with not much to do, so I though about acquiring Forsberg if he is available. Would Bozak, Sanford, Kostin, 1st, 2nd be enough to get him at 50%?

Forsberg O’Reilly Perron
Kyrou Schenn Tarasenko
Schwartz Thomas Hoffman
Clifford Barbashev Sundqvist

I would assume we’d let Schwartz walk in the summer.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I’m home today with not much to do, so I though about acquiring Forsberg if he is available. Would Bozak, Sanford, Kostin, 1st, 2nd be enough to get him at 50%?

Forsberg O’Reilly Perron
Kyrou Schenn Tarasenko
Schwartz Thomas Hoffman

Not even close, IMO

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
With Boom Boom out for the season, don't see the Blues making any moves this year, we now have the cap space the activate Tarasenko from IR.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Forsberg O’Reilly Perron
Kyrou Schenn Tarasenko
Schwartz Thomas Hoffman

At this moment I wouldn't spend any assets at all. Gunnarsson (done?), Steen (done) and Perunovich are out for the season. Barbashev, Thomas (and Parayko?) are still out for a while. Bozak, Schwartz (?) and Tarasenko are closer but will probably not be at a 100% for a while when they come back. This season could go either way, we either fight to a playoff position and see from there or we're forced to retool and try to trade Hoffman and Bozak with retention for assets before the deadline. IMO we're not in a position to offer picks/prospects, at least not untill we've had that stretch of games against the Avs and Vegas and we have a better idea where we are at this season.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
The odds are stacked against the Blues with all these injuries which to me indicates the team shouldn't be looking to expend picks to improve, I would have wanted to hold onto picks no matter what the situation but especially now.

I'd like to wait for returning players to come back and just ride out the season with what we already have. Any retooling should happen this coming offseason imo.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
To me, I would rather the Blues offload some players and restock on futures if it is apparent that we wont make the playoffs. The injuries are piling up and a lot of the players are unmotivated to play. It's aggravating though because the way the team is losing has nothing to do with skill or anything like that, but just really dumb mistakes or not making efforts to get in the play. It was a completely different story playing the Kings back in mid 2010 when we were really putting the work in, checking hard, getting shots on net, but they just couldn't compete. That's not the same here and I'm just wondering what the coaching staff will/can do to get these guys going. At least competing like they want to win.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I’m not sold on this season being lost. The rest of the division isn’t good enough to compete with the beleaguered blues beyond 500. Our main competitors have lots of games to play in little time, and the Blues have shown they are doing everything they can to avoid COVID protocol. Things can change quickly, I suppose, but I think trying to load up when we have Schwartz, Hoffman, etc. is wise. I don’t think next year gets better — for the Blues or COVID.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If Blues will trade their 2021 1st round pick or any other couple round picks is mistake.

I'm not against idea acquiring vet dmen if you dont trust on Mikkola.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues have enough depth to survive in the playoff race until guys like Schwartz, Thomas and Bozak return. If they're not fully healthy by the playoffs though, they'll be an easy out even if they do squeak in.
I wouldn't spend assets to strengthen this roster, unless you expect to be so healthy that you're having to scratch guys...then go get a D-man. 4th place and full-health by May 8th should be the new goal.

Reactions: mk80

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Luke Schenn on waivers. I know he doesn't have much left, but is there a chance Army reunites the Schenn brothers?

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Throw any Swedde and Im just fine.

With Eichel’s salary it’s hard to even envision a cap compliant trade.

It’ll never never happen but here it is:

Dunn
Thomas
Sanford
Tarasenko
Bozak
2020 1st

for

Eichel

Lines could be something like:

Kyrou Eichel Hoffman
Schwartz ROR Perron
Blais Schenn Kostin

Krug Faulk
Scandella Parayko
Mikkola Bortuzzo

For the record I couldn’t figure out the salary without adding Tarasenko

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
With Eichel’s salary it’s hard to even envision a cap compliant trade.

It’ll never never happen but here it is:

Dunn
Thomas
Sanford
Tarasenko
Bozak
2020 1st

for

Eichel

Lines could be something like:

Kyrou Eichel Hoffman
Schwartz ROR Perron
Blais Schenn Kostin

Krug Faulk
Scandella Parayko
Mikkola Bortuzzo

For the record I couldn’t figure out the salary without adding Tarasenko
I’d expect the Blues to have a record like Buffalo’s if they made that trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad