Blues Trade Proposals 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Don't know how the money ends up being earned, but Nevada doesn't have taxed income. He could very well end up with more money on a 1 less year deal in Nevada vs an extra year in St Louis. I have done zero looking into this though so it's really conjecture
I am not exactly sure on the taxes in LV, but normally cities compensate for not having one type of tax with other taxes. So, if there is no income tax, sales tax and property tax are usually higher.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I am not exactly sure on the taxes in LV, but normally cities compensate for not having one type of tax with other taxes. So, if there is no income tax, sales tax and property tax are usually higher.
Pro athletes are taxed where the games are played, so the difference between St Louis and Vegas is not as much as you’d expect if it were straight salary tax.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Pro athletes are taxed where the games are played, so the difference between St Louis and Vegas is not as much as you’d expect if it were straight salary tax.
Right. I was merely bring up that revenues are generated differently city by city and state by state, so any true analysis about buying power should factor in all taxes.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Right. I was merely bring up that revenues are generated differently city by city and state by state, so any true analysis about buying power should factor in all taxes.
With star players it’s not really about buying power. Or even total dollars. It’s mostly about where they rank versus their peers. This is why he didn’t want 8x8. He wanted more per year to show he was better than Troubas of the world.

And Army wouldn’t give him that much bc he has to manage cap and has other key guys to sign (which is why he signed Schenn and Krug and Faulk to 7+ year deals because it keeps AAV lower). It was never really about structure. It’s the $. Almost always is.

Reactions: mike1320

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Interestingly, Nevada is the 5th lowest taxed state in the US for income, sales, and property tax. Missouri sits right in the middle at 23rd highest tax rate among the same taxes. So all things equal, Petro would come out almost even in dollars earned with one less year, just based purely on total earnings per year taxed at the state's given rates. Obviously there is much more that goes into how a player is taxed (I didn't even know it was dependent on where the games were played), but yea, just thought that was interesting.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
All good points in this thread, I just wanted to add one more. Money, NMC, bonuses, taxes, etc. no doubt all played a role in his decision, but to me it comes down to this: Petro had to decide if he wanted to be a career Blue or did he want to write a new chapter in his life, with new challenges and a change in scenery. I honestly think that's the main thing. It really is pretty similar to the Pujols situation, maybe Petro just wanted to be a big fish in a bigger pond and have a change of scenery. Not only that, if you're going to convince a guy to leave his home then you've got to make it worth his while.

I don't blame Petro for it, and I don't think he has any ill will towards the team or the city but I will absolutely take pleasure in seeing Vegas lose and regret the signing in a few years!

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have to think if it were a purely financial decision, Pietro made the wrong choice. In St Louis he would have ended up with a statue outside the arena and probably had his number retired. He would have retired as a local sports legend. It would take a brick to fail to be able to leverage that kind of local affection into serious money. He could have opened a nice Italian pub “Pietrangelo’s” festooned with Blues memorabilia, and make an appearance every so often to greet diners, hire a competent manager, and it would be an easy success. If he were ambitious, there’s no end to the ways he could have used his St Louis credibility for profit. But the way he left, he probably burned most of that to ash.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I have to think if it were a purely financial decision, Pietro made the wrong choice. In St Louis he would have ended up with a statue outside the arena and probably had his number retired. He would have retired as a local sports legend. It would take a brick to fail to be able to leverage that kind of local affection into serious money. He could have opened a nice Italian pub “Pietrangelo’s” festooned with Blues memorabilia, and make an appearance every so often to greet diners, hire a competent manager, and it would be an easy success. If he were ambitious, there’s no end to the ways he could have used his St Louis credibility for profit. But the way he left, he probably burned most of that to ash.
I don’t know about this. I mean, I’d still show up to a Pietrangelo owned restaurant. It seems like a cool idea with a lot of fun stories to share.

I can already envision it in the Central-West End right now.

Stupendous Yappi

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I don’t know about this. I mean, I’d still show up to a Pietrangelo owned restaurant. It seems like a cool idea with a lot of fun stories to share.

I can already envision it in the Central-West End right now.
Maybe would do just as well, but I think in 7+ years playing for another team the memories won’t be as fresh, and the desire to go won’t be as strong. Besides, it would mean he’s moved back to St Louis, so why leave?

He could have opened a place like that NOW if he’d wanted.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

Interestingly, Nevada is the 5th lowest taxed state in the US for income, sales, and property tax. Missouri sits right in the middle at 23rd highest tax rate among the same taxes. So all things equal, Petro would come out almost even in dollars earned with one less year, just based purely on total earnings per year taxed at the state's given rates. Obviously there is much more that goes into how a player is taxed (I didn't even know it was dependent on where the games were played), but yea, just thought that was interesting.

So obviously I don't know all the specifics, and I took the lazy way and used the AAV, not the annual salary here... But to put a ballpark number out there for people to see...

Screenshot_20210220-094943.png

3,997,840$ in difference in taxes paid over the lifetime of the contract. Which, is the difference between what we were reportedly offering and what he took in Vegas.

I'm assuming that's just calculated on the 41 games played at home - but again I don't know for sure, I didn't do a deep dive into this, but thought I'd share.

Tax Calculator | Gavin Group

Edit: it's going to be less than 4m total, because I didn't run the 8m cost for st Louis, just the screenshot 8.8m. But, I've got to run so some one can beat me to it or I'll circle back this weekend and check.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210220-094943.png
    Screenshot_20210220-094943.png
    363.5 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: ezcreepin

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
So obviously I don't know all the specifics, and I took the lazy way and used the AAV, not the annual salary here... But to put a ballpark number out there for people to see...

View attachment 398325

3,997,840$ in difference in taxes paid over the lifetime of the contract. Which, is the difference between what we were reportedly offering and what he took in Vegas.

I'm assuming that's just calculated on the 41 games played at home - but again I don't know for sure, I didn't do a deep dive into this, but thought I'd share.

Tax Calculator | Gavin Group

Edit: it's going to be less than 4m total, because I didn't run the 8m cost for st Louis, just the screenshot 8.8m. But, I've got to run so some one can beat me to it or I'll circle back this weekend and check.
Aren't signing bonuses taxed only in the state of the team you're playing for? If so, that'd create an even larger gap in taxes paid.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I remember listening to an early episode of the Cam and Strick podcast and I can't remember who the guest was (or maybe Cam said it himself), but it was suggested that Petro was the cheapest member on the team and didn't like spending money. I guess the well-paid vets are expected to pick up the tab from time to time but guess Petro didn't hook the boys up that often. That story always stuck in the back of my mind. He always struck me as kind of a dweeb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Blueston

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't blame Petro for it, and I don't think he has any ill will towards the team or the city but I will absolutely take pleasure in seeing Vegas lose and regret the signing in a few years!
Most likely Blues will face at 1st round Vegas.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I don’t get the Pie hate. He served out his contact and took the best one he could get for his family.

Capitalism. I am ok with it and don’t have any animosity towards him.

But I don’t hold any kind of candle for him either. He has moved on and as fans we should also.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Ok. Fun question time.

Would you trade Kyrou and Thomas and a first to Eichle? (I likely spelled it wrong, but you know what I mean).

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Ok. Fun question time.

Would you trade Kyrou and Thomas and a first to Eichle? (I likely spelled it wrong, but you know what I mean).
That's what I was thinking about. I think the better questions is, would Doug Armstrong? Thomas and Kyrou were both off the table back when we traded for ROR, and while ROR isn't as good as Jack Eichel is supposed to be, he does fit the AAV we typically look for in our top players, his work ethic and playstyle are much more bluesy, and, at the time, he was a much bigger need than Eichel is now.

I think Doug Armstrong declines. Kyroun and Thomas being on the cheaper side is really important for the Blues going forward. I think Doug kicks the tire, but ultimately, I think Eichel gets traded in the off-season, and we are easily outbid. We just don't have enough of the need, AAV, and fit for Eichel that's going to cause other teams to pay up for his services.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Yes.

I don't even have to think twice.

(I assume the cap would be worked out in my "not thinking twice" comment.)
And bring him in to ruin the ROR culture??? No thank you sir lmao

Kidding aside, it's a bit worrisome that his team has been awful throughout his tenure. He wouldn't have to be the leader here, but a guy like McDavid nearly singlehandedly took the Oilers to the playoffs. Hell, I dont think their team is super great now, but he and Draisaitl are really pushing how far this team can go. Eichel has Reinhart, Hall, Dahlin, Staal, etc. Just seems weird the amount of turnover the Sabres have had with no success, but they've got zero help from upper management and coaching. I'd hesitantly say yes to that trade, but would end up being fine with it long term

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
And bring him in to ruin the ROR culture??? No thank you sir lmao

Kidding aside, it's a bit worrisome that his team has been awful throughout his tenure. He wouldn't have to be the leader here, but a guy like McDavid nearly singlehandedly took the Oilers to the playoffs. Hell, I dont think their team is super great now, but he and Draisaitl are really pushing how far this team can go. Eichel has Reinhart, Hall, Dahlin, Staal, etc. Just seems weird the amount of turnover the Sabres have had with no success, but they've got zero help from upper management and coaching. I'd hesitantly say yes to that trade, but would end up being fine with it long term
McDavid is WAY better than Eichel, Draisaitl is WAY better than anything else Buffalo has, Dahlin is a huge disappointment, Hall and sKinner are majorly slumping, and the Oilers have a much better coach. Buffalo is a different level of stink.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
McDavid is WAY better than Eichel, Draisaitl is WAY better than anything else Buffalo has, Dahlin is a huge disappointment, Hall and sKinner are majorly slumping, and the Oilers have a much better coach. Buffalo is a different level of stink.
Agreed, McDavid is much much better than Eichel, but we forget that Hall is still a really good player and Reinhart is no slouch either. Buffalo seems to have plenty of top 6 forwards to be a playoff team at least, but you'd think with how many top 10 picks they've had, they'd be able to build a average defense. The point I wanted to make was that McDavid, along with Draisaitl, are the only reasons the Oilers have gone to the playoffs twice in the past 10 years. I personally thought Buffalo had more pieces over the years to attempt a playoff push, but they have managed to squander that as well. Anyway, I'd still take Eichel for Thomas and Kyrou, though I think they will have long productive careers also

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Agreed, McDavid is much much better than Eichel, but we forget that Hall is still a really good player and Reinhart is no slouch either. Buffalo seems to have plenty of top 6 forwards to be a playoff team at least, but you'd think with how many top 10 picks they've had, they'd be able to build a average defense. The point I wanted to make was that McDavid, along with Draisaitl, are the only reasons the Oilers have gone to the playoffs twice in the past 10 years. I personally thought Buffalo had more pieces over the years to attempt a playoff push, but they have managed to squander that as well. Anyway, I'd still take Eichel for Thomas and Kyrou, though I think they will have long productive careers also

I think, as terrible as it sounds that Buffalo may have a worse D.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad