Blues Trade Proposals 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
There's a reason those guys were late round picks.
Ok, and guys like Palat, Bratt, Nutivaara, and Mangiapane were all picked way late in their respective drafts, had different trajectories, but managed to become effective players. I'm not saying every pick beyond the 2nd or 3rd should be a contributor, but Blais showed really good ability down in the AHL, he became a tougher opponent physically, but he hasn't been able to translate his offensive game all that well. That's where my frustration lies, where these guys have legit potential and never see it. To me, it feels like our player development beyond the AHL is a bit shoddy and you can kind of see this with guys like Thomas, Dunn, Blais, Sanford, etc.

It's a great problem to have when lots of your late round picks can become contributors in some facet to your team, but I would never expect a guy like Stevens to have the impact Blais has. Not because Stevens is a bad player, but because Blais developed his game A LOT in the Q and the AHL. I hope what I'm trying to say is coming across, otherwise I'm just complaining to complain.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
David Savard held out for tonight's game. I really don't think the Blues are going to be in on him, but if they are serious about making a push, they'd be dumb not to try and acquire him. You'd have to think someone like Hoffman would be part of the deal to make the cap work, unless Army has something else up his sleeve. Personally I'd like to get assets for Hoffman, but I wouldn't be mad at getting Savard either.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
David Savard held out for tonight's game. I really don't think the Blues are going to be in on him, but if they are serious about making a push, they'd be dumb not to try and acquire him. You'd have to think someone like Hoffman would be part of the deal to make the cap work, unless Army has something else up his sleeve. Personally I'd like to get assets for Hoffman, but I wouldn't be mad at getting Savard either.
Any acquisition needs to be a player they plan to re-sign as part of the group going forward. Any pure rental seems unwise.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Ok, and guys like Palat, Bratt, Nutivaara, and Mangiapane were all picked way late in their respective drafts, had different trajectories, but managed to become effective players. I'm not saying every pick beyond the 2nd or 3rd should be a contributor, but Blais showed really good ability down in the AHL, he became a tougher opponent physically, but he hasn't been able to translate his offensive game all that well. That's where my frustration lies, where these guys have legit potential and never see it. To me, it feels like our player development beyond the AHL is a bit shoddy and you can kind of see this with guys like Thomas, Dunn, Blais, Sanford, etc.

It's a great problem to have when lots of your late round picks can become contributors in some facet to your team, but I would never expect a guy like Stevens to have the impact Blais has. Not because Stevens is a bad player, but because Blais developed his game A LOT in the Q and the AHL. I hope what I'm trying to say is coming across, otherwise I'm just complaining to complain.
Fair point. Sometimes these guys do blossom. Tampa has been great at developing late picks. But more often they were late picks bc even though they had some nhl level talent they were lacking other necessary skills to become more than big players.

Reactions: ezcreepin

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues looked better with Hoffman out of the lineup. Don't know that he's really all that needed with Vladi back. It was a cheap gamble but one that ultimately hasn't paid off; cash in your chips with him and recoup an asset and let the rest of the group see if they can get back into familiar roles in which they've all had success. Forwards are healthy other than Sunny; they can still craft 4 effective lines w/o Hoffman.

The defense is what it is; I don't expect anybody to be brought in...but money-wise Savard could fill Hoffman's void if they're not convinced Parayko can carry his normal full load.

Reactions: mike1320

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Listening to 101 during lunch today. Alex Ferrario is banging the table for Oleksiak. Can't say I disagree.

Wondering if the Stars would be interested in Hoffman for Oleksiak, 1 for 1.

He also suggested Foligno and I'm not hating that idea either. Just don't know what to give up or how to fit him in.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I don't understand the point of either Oleksiak or Foligno.

Oleksiak is a big guy, but not very mobile and plays 18 minutes a night. What we are missing is someone who can play alongside (a healthy) Parayko and eat minutes against the other teams' top players. That's not him.

Foligno is more of the same as what we have up front (good defensively but not scoring), though he might provide some additional leadership. He isn't scoring this year (even worse than most of our Top 6) and all of his possession and other "fancy stats" are below average even when compared to his teammates.

I don't see the point of giving up assets for either of these guys when a first round exit seems like a best case scenario right now. If you disagree, please paint me a picture where either or both are missing ingredients to a long playoff run.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Blues looked better with Hoffman out of the lineup. Don't know that he's really all that needed with Vladi back. It was a cheap gamble but one that ultimately hasn't paid off; cash in your chips with him and recoup an asset and let the rest of the group see if they can get back into familiar roles in which they've all had success. Forwards are healthy other than Sunny; they can still craft 4 effective lines w/o Hoffman.

The defense is what it is; I don't expect anybody to be brought in...but money-wise Savard could fill Hoffman's void if they're not convinced Parayko can carry his normal full load.

Completely agree, and he's been passed on the depth chart by Kyrou and even he's been bumped down to the fourth line. If we're gonna play the style of hockey that won us a Cup we need a certain type of player and Hoffman just can't keep up. He's been ok though, just not what we need right now. Sanford and Barbashev at least contribute defensively and on the pk, which is why they're still in the lineup

Reactions: mike1320

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
“One of the NHL’s pure scorers, Mike Hoffman, is No. 3 on the latest TSN Trade Bait board. Armstrong has also spoken to teams about forward Tyler Bozak. We have no indication at this point that Jaden Schwartz is available.
But here’s where it gets interesting: The Blues are among the teams believed to have contacted the Buffalo Sabres in recent days with interest in Taylor Hall.
Swapping out Hoffman for Hall would not require a third-party financier to broker cap space if Buffalo retains half of Hall’s salary, plus it would certainly not damage – and might even enhance – the Blues’ playoff chances, while giving Armstrong and St. Louis a window into a potential future longer-term fit with Hall.”

Per Frank Seravalli on TSN today.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind swapping out Hoffman for Hall as long as we don’t have to give up too much more.

He’s not a pure shooter only, and is just an all-around better player than Hoffman IMO. I’d love his speed and playmaking skills in our top 6.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
“One of the NHL’s pure scorers, Mike Hoffman, is No. 3 on the latest TSN Trade Bait board. Armstrong has also spoken to teams about forward Tyler Bozak. We have no indication at this point that Jaden Schwartz is available.
But here’s where it gets interesting: The Blues are among the teams believed to have contacted the Buffalo Sabres in recent days with interest in Taylor Hall.
Swapping out Hoffman for Hall would not require a third-party financier to broker cap space if Buffalo retains half of Hall’s salary, plus it would certainly not damage – and might even enhance – the Blues’ playoff chances, while giving Armstrong and St. Louis a window into a potential future longer-term fit with Hall.”

Personally, I wouldn’t mind swapping out Hoffman for Hall as long as we don’t have to give up too much more.

He’s not a pure shooter only, and is just an all-around better player than Hoffman IMO. I’d love his speed and playmaking skills in our top 6.
Would that make Schwartz available?

I do believe both Bozak and Hoffman are available. The market is soft though. If the Blues remove one of those players from the market, they drive the prices up a little bit.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019

Hall would be an interesting buy-low candidate, but at this point I think there's too much uncertainty that we'll even make the playoffs to spend assets on a rental. I don't think we'd have the cap space to re-sign him unless we move Schwartz or shed a lot of salary elsewhere.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I would be so impressed if Army would trade Krug or Faulk away. Krug position much easier to fill and at offseason we can fill Faulk spot too and use 13mill.$ wiser.

Too much dead money lay on those guys.

Reactions: Blues Knight

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I would be so impressed if Army would trade Krug or Faulk away. Krug position much easier to fill and at offseason we can fill Faulk spot too and use 13mill.$ wiser.

Blues won't be trading Faulk with Parayko's gimp back.

Reactions: Blueston

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

C’mon dude,, trade Faulk for what reason?? Because you don’t like him personally???

Faulk has been outstanding this year. He stands people up at lines better than any Blues defender in a long time.

They’re not trading Krug either

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada

I agree. I want to shoot Krug right into the sun.

Faulk has been outstanding this year. He stands people up at lines better than any Blues defender in a long time.

Sure I agree Faulk has had a good start but he's cooled off now and isn't worth the dollars that Blues are playing him.

And the Blues are after Hall. OMG. I'm sorry if that happens then Army needs to be fired.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I agree. I want to shoot Krug right into the sun.

Sure I agree Faulk has had a good start but he's cooled off now and isn't worth the dollars that Blues are playing him.

And the Blues are after Hall. OMG. I'm sorry if that happens then Army needs to be fired.

Wait,, are you saying Army should be fired if he gets Hall in a trade?

If he gets Hall, then the Blues win the Cup, do you rehire Army??

Good grief the hot takes are getting hotter haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad