Blues Trade Proposals 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010
You really need to watch the games sober. He has been great defensively this season.
Agreed, I am not sure how anyone watching the games can have any complaint about Faulk's Defensive game. I wish Krug would take a page from Faulk's book on how to play as defense as a smallish defenseman.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I havent drink since last year spring.

No he hasnt. Same what he was last season. Dont let fool you point produce.

4 points in 11 games isn't exactly what I'd call blowing up the scoresheet.
That's a 30 point pace in a normal season, and a 20 point pace adjusted for 'Rona.
He's actually only 4th in production on our blueline right now(Krug, Parayko and Dunn all have more points).

If you're not watching games drunk, then you're not watching them at all. It is entirely because of his defensive play that people are changing their opinion on Faulk. He has been hands down the best defensive player on the team this year.

You are letting your personal bias cloud your judgement.

Reactions: Blueston

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Faulk has been playing pretty well, both relative to his peers on the team, and to his own standards historically.

That's great, and something this team desperately needs right now, but if he's our best defensemen at his current level of play when the playoffs hit, this team is in trouble. That's not a knock on him. It's just a general commentary on the state of the team as a whole.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I've been hard on Faulk, but even I admit he has been good defensively overall this year. I am not as sold on his defensive performance as some of you, but he has clearly been our best defending D-man 5v5 by a clear margin. He passes the eye test and the advanced stats tests 5v5. I have seen mistakes, but less and less costly than our other D, Binner has managed to bail out most of them. On the PK, I think he has struggled. But relative to the rest of the team who has struggled more, he is still a top 3 best PKer this year.

I still don't like the contract long term. However, if we can extend this level of play out the rest of the year, he will have earned his coin for the year. While that may be damning with faint praise, I have been a lot more damning most of his tenure here. Take what you can get.

Reactions: simon IC

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Faulk has been playing well in both ends. It's also really blowing my mind that he isn't a regular on the power play. Last few games I don't think he was on either unit. Seems like a waste of his skillset

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Faulk has been playing well in both ends. It's also really blowing my mind that he isn't a regular on the power play. Last few games I don't think he was on either unit. Seems like a waste of his skillset
Exactly. Misused. I dont see Dunn is better offensively vs Faulk.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Faulk has been playing pretty well, both relative to his peers on the team, and to his own standards historically.

That's great, and something this team desperately needs right now, but if he's our best defensemen at his current level of play when the playoffs hit, this team is in trouble. That's not a knock on him. It's just a general commentary on the state of the team as a whole.
Parayko really needs to step up while Faulk continues this level of play to have any chance.

Reactions: Blueston

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

He deserves a shot on the PP especially since the PP hasn’t been good

Reactions: KirkOut

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I'm really happy with how Faulk has been playing because I knew he wasn't as bad as his first season in STL. He's been our best defenseman though which is troubling because Parayko is supposed to be taking Petro's spot as the top guy. I'm hoping that midway through the season we will see an emergence of guys in our system like Mikkola (lookin good), maybe Perunovich, Reinke (doubtful), and Walman (doubtful) push this team to be much better. Pretty much all of them are good skaters and all of them have either good offensive instincts or underrated offensive tools, so they could become nice transition pieces on the backend. Unfortunately Parayko has been just awful and you can tell he's still playing with something. His skating seems slower, decision making is piss poor, he's losing guys; he's not right and idk how long it'll take him to readjust and get back to 100%. It's possible he may never recover, so you better start drafting those righties!

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If Husso continues to Struggle I wonder if we'd be looking to grab a backup (someone maybe like Hutton if Buffalo wants him gone?) The biggest holes in the lineup are filled once people are healthy (Thomas, Bozak,Scandella, Tarasenko) except for Backup if Husso stays shaky

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Seth Jones is set to be a UFA the season after next. If I were Armstrong, he is definitely someone I would target. Especially if we decide to move on from Parayko, or if Parayko decides to move on from us.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Seth Jones is set to be a UFA the season after next. If I were Armstrong, he is definitely someone I would target. Especially if we decide to move on from Parayko, or if Parayko decides to move on from us.
Or we let Parayko walk for nothing.

Faulk for #1

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
He'll be 28 at the start of his next deal, provided his current downswing is only temporary, he's set to be above $10mil AAV, and I'm not sure Army would come close to what other teams are willing to throw at him, especially in the signing bonus department.

Reactions: Brockon

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
He'll be 28 at the start of his next deal, provided his current downswing is only temporary, he's set to be above $10mil AAV, and I'm not sure Army would come close to what other teams are willing to throw at him, especially in the signing bonus department.
It does seem like a no-brainer, but many would argue that Pietrangelo is an even better defenseman than Parayko. I understand the situations are far from identical, and that letting one go doesn't mean the same thing will happen with the other, but after watching the Pietrangelo drama I don't think any player is guaranteed to be extended.

Last edited:

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
It does seem like a no-brainer, but many would argue that Pietrangelo is an even better defenseman than Parayko. I understand the situations are far from identical, and that letting one go doesn't mean the same thing will happen with the other, but after watching the Pietrangelo drama I don't think any player is guaranteed to be extended.

I think the poster you quoted is talking about Seth Jones there, not Parayko.

CP55 doesn't produce enough to be a a 10+ AAV Dman and will be 29 at the start of his next deal (turns 28 on may 12 2021, goes UFA in 2022). I'd expect CP to be signing in the 6.5-7 AAV territory for an 8 year extension and getting in the 7-8 AAV over a 7 year deal in UFA.

Seth Jones Norris votes
2019-20 14th 6-24-30p 56gp
2018-19 9th 9-37-46p 75gp
2017-18 4th 16-41-57p 78gp
2016-17 18th 12-30-42p 75gp

Colton Parayko Norris votes Nada. He isn't in the top 20 once.
2019-20 N/A 10-18-28p 64gp
2018-19 N/A 10-18-28p 80gp
2017-18 N/A 6-29-35p 82gp
2016-17 N/A 4-31-35p 81gp

Parayko may be the better shutdown dman, but he doesn't have the production or the Norris votes to be asking anywhere near 10AAV. I don't think Seth Jones does either, but his agent will likely be pushing hard to get him 8-9AAV on a 8 year deal unless he continues to struggle this year.

Reactions: Davimir Tarablad

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

CP55 doesn't produce enough to be a a 10+ AAV Dman and will be 29 at the start of his next deal (turns 28 on may 12 2021, goes UFA in 2022). I'd expect CP to be signing in the 6.5-7 AAV territory for an 8 year extension and getting in the 7-8 AAV over a 7 year deal in UFA.

Seth Jones Norris votes

Parayko may be the better shutdown dman, but he doesn't have the production or the Norris votes to be asking anywhere near 10AAV. I don't think Seth Jones does either, but his agent will likely be pushing hard to get him 8-9AAV on a 8 year deal unless he continues to struggle this year.
Wow I feel stupid now. Thank you for the clarification, Brockon. My apologies, Davamir Tarablad.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015

Seth Jones Norris votes

Wow I feel stupid now. Thank you for the clarification, Brockon. My apologies, Davamir Tarablad.
Yep. Didn’t even take into account that both were similar in age, was referring to Jones.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I mean for what it's worth, I believe Army kicks the tires on Jones if he hits UFA - but as @Davimir Tarablad says

I don't see us being in contention as a final 5 team to land Jones in UFA.

I expect we're going to continue to see cap casualties leaving as we don't offer top dollar, signing bonuses and/or full NMCs. Keeping Parayko is looking challenging from a cap management standpoint already with the Schenn, Faulk, Krug contracts and our other pending RFAs this year - and that's before we see what happens with Schwartz this summer...

If we aren't extending our own players yet, I don't expect us to go chasing the top dogs in UFA.

Thomas, Kyrou, Schwartz and Binnington are all eligible for extensions right now on top of Barbashev, Sanford and a few others. I don't see how Army extends Parayko without moving on from Schwartz and one of Scandela+Sunny, Schenn, Tarasenko or Krug.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I mean for what it's worth, I believe Army kicks the tires on Jones if he hits UFA - but as @Davimir Tarablad says

I don't see us being in contention as a final 5 team to land Jones in UFA.

I expect we're going to continue to see cap casualties leaving as we don't offer top dollar, signing bonuses and/or full NMCs. Keeping Parayko is looking challenging from a cap management standpoint already with the Schenn, Faulk, Krug contracts and our other pending RFAs this year - and that's before we see what happens with Schwartz this summer...

If we aren't extending our own players yet, I don't expect us to go chasing the top dogs in UFA.

Thomas, Kyrou, Schwartz and Binnington are all eligible for extensions right now on top of Barbashev, Sanford and a few others. I don't see how Army extends Parayko without moving on from Schwartz and one of Scandela+Sunny, Schenn, Tarasenko or Krug.
So is this where we are at as a franchise? Are we going to walk away from top UFA's like Pietrangelo and Jones, and settle for the next best thing like Krug and Faulk? (Not that there's anything wrong with them!) Sorry, but I am somewhat dissatisfied with that. And now we might not be able to afford Parayko. Wonderful. I am not attacking you Brockon, you are one of the posters I respect most on this board. I am just not happy with the direction this franchise is taking. I am guessing this post will bother some members. Whatever. Flame away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad