Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I would love for the Blues to swoop in on a sign-and-trade for Panarin. If it were a 2+ year extension, Kostin wouldn't upset me as a throw in. If Army finds a way to get Panarin with mainly draft picks and lower end prospects, I will jump for joy.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I would love for the Blues to swoop in on a sign-and-trade for Panarin. If it were a 2+ year extension, Kostin wouldn't upset me as a throw in. If Army finds a way to get Panarin with mainly draft picks and lower end prospects, I will jump for joy.

Salary cap is a bit of an issue. Who are you moving out?

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Salary cap is a bit of an issue. Who are you moving out?

Well, I was more or less thinking one or more of the usual suspects would be on their way out somehow, someway. It could be something like Gunnar, Jaskin, Bortz and some retention. It could be Jaybo. It could be Steen. Whatever.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Well, I was more or less thinking one or more of the usual suspects would be on their way out somehow, someway. It could be something like Gunnar, Jaskin, Bortz and some retention. It could be Jaybo. It could be Steen. Whatever.

I figured it was one of them, but always curious what people decide to try and move. Two no-trade clauses in that group is hard to get around, but it can be done. I still can't believe that Buffalo wasn't on Berglund's no-trade list. Columbus has a pretty stacked defense, but I could see Jarmo and JD looking at Steen as good veteran leadership for that team, but they'd definitely want a younger winger as well. Kyrou would probably the be required piece more than Kostin as Columbus is looking to stay competitive. If Steen would waive, I would comfortable with an extended Panarin for Steen, Kyrou, and a pick. I wouldn't trade much more than that. I do think it's unlikely Panarin does a sign and trade unless it's to Chicago, New York, or another big market.

If Panarin is available at the trade deadline this year and the Blues need a winger, I could see the Blues picking him up as a rental though.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
We could make the cap work by dumping Gunnarsson in a separate deal and trading Jaskin in a package for Panarin as the only real cap piece going back.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
From The Athletic, Milstein is Panarin's agent:

Milstein: Jarmo’s trying to find a trade partner, and if the team wants to know about his long-term plans, Jarmo would have to give (the opposing GM) permission to speak with me. I have not asked (Kekalainen) to speak to any clubs and, certainly, he hasn’t asked me if I would be willing to talk to any clubs. I believe all (30) clubs would love to have him, but I can’t see anybody trading for him without picking up the phone and checking with me first.

Looks like the possibility of a sign-and-trade. Kekalainen is looking for trade partners.

Reactions: Alklha and mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Surely in 45 minutes, I wouldn't think they would have got much covered.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
What would you give up for Panarin that's signed 9Mx8? This might be one of the few situations where I would consider trading Kyrou. For that kind of talent, I don't really care about the cost outside of Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, Schwartz, Schenn, O'Reilly, and Parayko.

:blues
Panarin, re-signed 9Mx8

:cbj
Jordan Kyrou/Robby Fabbri
Ivan Barbashev
Dmitrij Jaskin
STL Blues '19 2nd
STL Blues '20 1st
STL Blues '21 1st

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
What would you give up for Panarin that's signed 9Mx8? This might be one of the few situations where I would consider trading Kyrou. For that kind of talent, I don't really care about the cost outside of Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, Schwartz, Schenn, O'Reilly, and Parayko.

Panarin, re-signed 9Mx8

Ivan Barbashev
Dmitrij Jaskin
STL Blues '19 2nd
STL Blues '20 1st
STL Blues '21 1st
No way we mortgage the future that hard. That’s way too many assets. At least I wouldn’t do it.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Come on guys, Panarin isn't signing an extension (especially not an 8-year extension) here before even playing for the team. Of course that's just my gut feeling, but all of the evidence suggests he is either looking for a bigger market to live in or he just wants to test free agency. I think Tavares signing here was more likely than Panarin. If he doesn't want to sign long-term in Columbus, what makes you think that he will sign long-term in STL before he even gets to know the city? Seems like an extreme long shot to me.

I've been wondering if we will see fewer NHL stars seek the max length contract and see more guys prefer the 3-5 year extensions that have become more common in MLB or NBA. Sure, guaranteed money is nice but shorter term gives them more freedom and flexibility. I bet some guys would rather not be locked into an 8 year deal with one team, and maybe teams will be more hesitant to offer these max long-term deals (especially since so many of them end with the player wanting out early, or the team wanting to get rid of him).

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012

Panarin, re-signed 9Mx8

Ivan Barbashev
Dmitrij Jaskin
STL Blues '19 2nd
STL Blues '20 1st
STL Blues '21 1st

Again, there isn't enough cap space for his current final year. If you're retaining Edmundson and bringing in Panarin, you'd have to move out one of Steen or Bouwmeester. Jaskin and Gunnarsson (4 million total), isn't enough to squeeze Edmundson, Schmaltz, and a 6mil hit from Panarin.

Also, WOW, that's a LOT of future to give up. You could probably get Panarin for a Steen, Kyrou/Fabbri, and a pick or B-level prospect. I still think the Blues should just wait and see if he's available at the TDL.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I thought I read that Panarin's agent said there would be progress on a deal if it were not a long term contract. I think the sign and trade would be signed through next season for $8.5mil and traded for Steen, Jaskin, Jaybo, Gunnar, Schmaltz, Blais, Barbashev, Sanford, Sundqvist, and/or Bortz plus '20 1st, '21 2nd, plus draft picks.

However Army can make that work....

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
We've made our moves boys and we actually have a roster(core) we could keep together and compete for a cup over the next 5+ years. Adding more top-end talent means we would be losing some of this core when their contracts begin to expire, in addition to losing one if not both of Thomas/Kyrou. I think we pretty much have the team we're gonna have and it's up to these guys to get the job done.

Reactions: GrayZack and OSA

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
We've made our moves boys and we actually have a roster(core) we could keep together and compete for a cup over the next 5+ years. Adding more top-end talent means we would be losing some of this core when their contracts begin to expire, in addition to losing one if not both of Thomas/Kyrou. I think we pretty much have the team we're gonna have and it's up to these guys to get the job done.

So hypothetically, for a Blues franchise that has never won a Cup and may be as close as they've ever been...do you keep your depth and youth they've got now in hopes of being able to compete for multiple championships over the next half-decade...or do you try to push this roster over the top to get that first one, and deal with the problems created by converting three more young/cheap pieces (and a contract) to get one more super-star (Panarin), knowing that you can't keep them all?

Personally, I go top-heavy and get one...then once you start to feel the impending cap-crunch, I'd deal somebody like Schenn or Schwartz (or Tarasenko) who is due for a raise and collect the futures then. Bokk, Kostin & Kyrou may not help win a Cup this season, but if they can return a guy who can via trade...

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
So hypothetically, for a Blues franchise that has never won a Cup and may be as close as they've ever been...do you keep your depth and youth they've got now in hopes of being able to compete for multiple championships over the next half-decade...or do you try to push this roster over the top to get that first one, and deal with the problems created by converting three more young/cheap pieces (and a contract) to get one more super-star (Panarin), knowing that you can't keep them all?

Personally, I go top-heavy and get one...then once you start to feel the impending cap-crunch, I'd deal somebody like Schenn or Schwartz (or Tarasenko) who is due for a raise and collect the futures then. Bokk, Kostin & Kyrou may not help win a Cup this season, but if they can return a guy who can via trade...
We haven’t even seen this team play. We have no idea if they’re a Panarin away from a cup. We don’t know what Allen shows up when he has offensive help. We don’t know if Husso is gonna be the next Matt Murray. Unless we clearly are one piece away from being favorites I wouldn’t mortgage the future when usually the cup isn’t handed out in the regular season

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
We haven’t even seen this team play. We have no idea if they’re a Panarin away from a cup. We don’t know what Allen shows up when he has offensive help. We don’t know if Husso is gonna be the next Matt Murray. Unless we clearly are one piece away from being favorites I wouldn’t mortgage the future when usually the cup isn’t handed out in the regular season

If January comes and we are a Panarin away from the Cup, I would hope we pursue Panarin. He may even be cheaper then than now.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Unless it's a rental price, I wouldn't want Panarin. The cat is out of the bag regardless of the damage control comments by him and his agent.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I would love to wait until the TDL, or even next FA, but I don’t think he will last until then. I think the indication from Jarmo is that he’s looking to move him sooner rather than later. That’s the right move for them, and they’ll age takers for a player that good. Either way, we should be kicking the tires very hard - lots of deals we have made have been in he works for a long time before the came to fruition (O’Reilly, Schenn, Bouwmeester). I’m just stating that I would be willing to move Kostin+++ if it meant we got Panarin for this year and had a good chance of re-signing him; and I think we have that chance.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I don’t know if we’ll go after Panarin, but I’d offer something around Steen+Kyrou+pick(s).

Even though I expect Allen to bounce back, I still wouldn’t be upset with an Allen+Gunnarsson+pick for Schneider deal. We’d upgrade in goal and get another million+ to sign Edmundson. I think both goalies would be better off in their new places as well.

Imagine this lol

Panarin-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Fabbri-Bozak-Maroon
Barbashev-Thomas-Soshnikov
Jaskin, Sundqvist/Sanford

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Schmaltz
Bortuzzo

Schneider
Johnson

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Since everyone knows Patches is being traded and could possibly go for a reasonable price, I was thinking he might be a good rental if he makes it to the TDL still with montreal. I am assuming of course Panarin would either be to expensive or already unavailable. We've never actually tried to whole get a legit scorer at the TDL for a play off run before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad