Blues Trade Proposals 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I'm legitimately starting to think someone has spiked the water supply with varying forms of amphetamines if the most rational decision for improving the team is to trade its best defenseman and best scorer.

No one, to my knowledge, is talking about trading Petro tomorrow. Rather, the issue is what to do if and when it becomes apparent that we won't make the playoffs.

Hence, the following question is for you: Would you, if you realized we were going to miss the playoffs, commit to a 7-8 year extension for Petro at 9 plus million AAV (it might be $10 million...not really sure)? You can assume that he also would demand a fairly ironclad NMC. He would start such a contract at age 30 and end it at age 37-38.

If the answer is "no," then your next alternatives are to shop him to a playoff team for a nice package or to simply hold him for the last year of his contract and get nothing in return when he walks to UFA.

My answer is that I do not want to commit to that type of contract for Petro. I would rather get the nice return on a trade.

Finally, if I'm reading your other point correctly, I don't agree that trading Petro (and perhaps Steen) commits us to a 5 plus year rebuild. Indeed, I think holding on to him and then letting him walk for nothing is a more likely path to such a long-term rebuild than taking a nice package for him this year if we are going to miss the playoffs.

P.S.--I do not think the same analysis applies to Tarasenko. He has many years left on his contract. I would not discuss shopping Vladi.

Last edited:

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
The Preds traded Shea Weber for a younger player with warts. Did that equate to blowing up the team or an all out rebuild? Some people act like Petro is untouchable. I have a hard time seeing that Petro is untouchable if Weber wasn't untouchable at the time he was traded. The Preds took a calculated risk and it paid off. Playing it safe isn't always safe.

Also, Tarasenko is trending in the wrong direction and his shot is nothing like it what we saw in the past.
We remember wristers that we literally couldn't follow on camera. His shot isn't the same anymore.

The Blues probably won't trade them. But extending Petro for big money in his 30's will be a mistake if it comes to that point. And Tarasenko is not the elite threat that he once was. 2nd on the Blues in scoring right now but he is tied for 85th in the NHL at the moment and 91st in goal scoring. More than that he hasn't really clicked on the ice with anyone since he got here.
If you don't get what you want in return on Vlad, you can be patient. His numbers will probably improve from where they are currently. I'm not suggesting making any trade just to make a trade nor being in any hurry. If a deal isn't there, then it isn't there.
But like others are saying, discussing every option should be fair game. This team is playing like one of the worst in the league.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
The Preds traded Shea Weber for a younger player with warts. Did that equate to blowing up the team or an all out rebuild? Some people act like Petro is untouchable. I have a hard time seeing that Petro is untouchable if Weber wasn't untouchable at the time he was traded. The Preds took a calculated risk and it paid off. Playing it safe isn't always safe.

Also, Tarasenko is trending in the wrong direction and his shot is nothing like it what we saw in the past.
We remember wristers that we literally couldn't follow on camera. His shot isn't the same anymore.

The Blues probably won't trade them. But extending Petro for big money in his 30's will be a mistake if it comes to that point. And Tarasenko is not the elite threat that he once was. 2nd on the Blues in scoring right now but he is tied for 85th in the NHL at the moment and 91st in goal scoring. More than that he hasn't really clicked on the ice with anyone since he got here.
If you don't get what you want in return on Vlad, you can be patient. His numbers will probably improve from where they are currently. I'm not suggesting making any trade just to make a trade nor being in any hurry. If a deal isn't there, then it isn't there.
But like others are saying, discussing every option should be fair game. This team is playing like one of the worst in the league.

Interesting that you raise that trade for discussion. I would have been excited this summer if the Blues had investigated a Petro for Karlsson deal (assuming we could get a clearence on Karlsson's foot injury--that's admittedly a big "if."). I didn't post about these thoughts b/c I just thought it would make some of Petro's biggest fans mad.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

I remember Vladi beating unscreened goalies clean from 30ft out. I'd love to be a fly on the wall and know if there are any underlying issues with him.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
No one, to my knowledge, is talking about trading Petro tomorrow. Rather, the issue is what to do if and when it becomes apparent that we won't make the playoffs.

Hence, the following question is for you: Would you, if you realized we were going to miss the playoffs, commit to a 7-8 year extension for Petro at 9 plus million AAV (it might be $10 million...not really sure)? You can assume that he also would demand a fairly ironclad NMC. He would start such a contract at age 30 and end it at age 37-38.

If the answer is "no," then your next alternatives are to shop him to a playoff team for a nice package or to simply hold him for the last year of his contract and get nothing in return when he walks to UFA.

My answer is that I do not want to commit to that type of contract for Petro. I would rather get the nice return on a trade.

Finally, if I'm reading your other point correctly, I don't agree that trading Petro (and perhaps Steen) commits us to a 5 plus year rebuild. Indeed, I think holding on to him and then letting him walk for nothing is a more likely path to such a long-term rebuild than taking a nice package for him this year if we are going to miss the playoffs.

P.S.--I do not think the same analysis applies to Tarasenko. He has many years left on his contract. I would not discuss shopping Vladi.

Easily and without hesitation. We don't have internal or external options that can replace what Pietrangelo does for us. Even today, Parayko is not close to Petro and we would be significantly downgrading the defense. Pietrangelo is a positive possession player while carrying the defensive load and playing the most minutes on the team. Parayko has struggled when he's been given a bigger defensive workload. If we get rid of Petro, we are essentially waving the towel and starting a rebuild, which shouldn't be an option for us.

The Predators has Roman Josi performing as their best defenseman already which allowed them to move Weber. There is nobody on the Blues who can replace Pietrangelo, and no PK Subban available for trade to replace him. There is not a trade to be made that will not leave a gigantic hole in the hardest position to fill in the game.

Tarasenko isn't trending in a direction he's pacing for a 66 point season while shooting significantly below his career average shooting%. This will correct itself over the season and he'll likely hit 70 points again. Trading either or both of these guys right now would be the equivalent of Washington trading Ovechkin or Backstrom after they missed the playoffs.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
No player is untouchable but the return determines if it is worth it. The questions we should be asking is who, why and what could we get.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Easily and without hesitation. We don't have internal or external options that can replace what Pietrangelo does for us. Even today, Parayko is not close to Petro and we would be significantly downgrading the defense. Pietrangelo is a positive possession player while carrying the defensive load and playing the most minutes on the team. Parayko has struggled when he's been given a bigger defensive workload. If we get rid of Petro, we are essentially waving the towel and starting a rebuild, which shouldn't be an option for us.

The Predators has Roman Josi performing as their best defenseman already which allowed them to move Weber. There is nobody on the Blues who can replace Pietrangelo, and no PK Subban available for trade to replace him. There is not a trade to be made that will not leave a gigantic hole in the hardest position to fill in the game.

Tarasenko isn't trending in a direction he's pacing for a 66 point season while shooting significantly below his career average shooting%. This will correct itself over the season and he'll likely hit 70 points again. Trading either or both of these guys right now would be the equivalent of Washington trading Ovechkin or Backstrom after they missed the playoffs.
Weber wasnt available for Subban and Subban wasnt going to be traded to he was. There are no known guys available, but that doesn't mean a deal isnt out there.

Again.....I'm not saying this has to happen, but it shouldn't be 100% dismissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino