Confirmed with Link: Blues sign David Perron (4 years @ $4m)

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
It should be noted that Perron missed the beginnings of playoffs last year with an injury. So he was definitely absent in that LA series.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I was fraught with "meh" at first but after considering the long-term implications of this and the Bozak signing, I'm fine with it.

I think we're definitely a playoff team now, we didn't give up any of the major prospects (I'm including Fabbri here too), and we're in position to make big splashes in the future (if need be) to become a legit cup contender.

It's a step in the right direction.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It’s true that Perron hasn’t been that good in the playoffs but I also don’t agree with people saying he plays soft or with no intensity. That’s absolutely not the case.

He’ll be one of the better net front presences on the team. He’s always mixing it up there and pissing off goalies. Jonathan Quick and Drew Doughty can’t stand him because he’s always under their skin. He plays a pretty physical style of game. He’s a rink rat, you can tell he’s pretty passionate about the game.

I’ll like the deal a lot more if we can move Berglund/Sobotka.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
It’s true that Perron hasn’t been that good in the playoffs but I also don’t agree with people saying he plays soft or with no intensity. That’s absolutely not the case.

He’ll be one of the better net front presences on the team. He’s always mixing it up there and pissing off goalies. Jonathan Quick and Drew Doughty can’t stand him because he’s always under their skin. He plays a pretty physical style of game. He’s a rink rat, you can tell he’s pretty passionate about the game.

Perron being a net front presence was one of the first things I thought of upon hearing the signing. It one of the things we missed when he was taken during the expansion draft.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I beg to differ. Yes Perron can be a net front presence and a pest, but he is incredibly inconsistent about it. Sometimes he'll play defense. Sometimes he won't. My issue with him is that he takes nights off. In his last stint with the Blues he was invisible for the entire playoffs .

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Well then....

Alright Doug, thanks for reading my post.

Perron is now a good fit.

Reactions: RoarBacon and mk80

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
We not only got high level players in the positions we needed, but we will now be able to play our high level players in the positions they are naturally acclimated to. Steen can play LW, Barbashev can play 4th line Center instead of Sundquist, and there's no longer a need for Thorburn.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Perron is a good solid player, he put up good numbers in Vegas. Even if he regresses to the 40-50 pt level that he had his last year with the Blues, he is still a decent signing for his price. Yes, 4 years might be too long, but if he is used properly by the coaching staff, I could still like this deal.

Reactions: BlueDream

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

I think people are exaggerating the disappears in playoffs thing.

Perron was terrible in 2016/17 playoffs with us, yes

but while perron had his ups and downs with vegas in playoffs playing injured, he got 9 points in 15 games, you would guess that from the comments about him disappearing in the playoffs

He was great in the San Jose series though he struggled after that

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Not a bad signing at $4 million. I hope he learned something last season about coming out and playing hard every game. Consistency has been his main problem in the past. And last season, he played well all through it. I hope he gets energised because his new team has a really good lineup (if Allen's head is on right). I think we will all be happy with this signing. He can be the net presence on the #2 PP, and play effectively with 2 skilled linemates, now that The Blues have 10 good Top 9ers. I like this signing.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I think people are exaggerating the disappears in playoffs thing.

Perron was terrible in 2017/17 playoffs with us last year, yes

but while perron had his ups and downs with vegas in playoffs playing injured, he got 9 points in 15 games, you would guess that from the comments about him disappearing in the playoffs

He was great in the San Jose series though he struggled after that
they arnt

he has 4 goals in roughly 60 playoff games. his one goal for vegas, literally hit him while he was tied up inside the crease, looking backwards.

David Perron Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

the end.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
they arnt

he has 4 goals in roughly 60 playoff games. his one goal for vegas, literally hit him while he was tied up inside the crease, looking backwards.

David Perron Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

the end.
outside his 2016/2017 postseason with us, he has 22 points in 46 games

while the goal count is low, last i checked, assists count as production too

his bigger problem is stupid and selfish penalites

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but Perron received just a very limited NTC (5 team list); so that's a positive aspect.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread, but Perron received just a very limited NTC (5 team list); so that's a positive aspect.

I'm telling you, he wants us to trade him. That is the only reason he signed with us. We trade him to Edmonton, he puts up 57. We let him go in the expansion draft, he puts up 66. Those are his two best seasons. We are going to keep him for a couple years, then trade him so he can pad his stats for one last big retirement contract.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I'm telling you, he wants us to trade him. That is the only reason he signed with us. We trade him to Edmonton, he puts up 57. We let him go in the expansion draft, he puts up 66. Those are his two best seasons. We are going to keep him for a couple years, then trade him so he can pad his stats for one last big retirement contract.

He'll be exposed to Seattle. Man....wouldn't that be weird. I think Allen will end up being exposed as well.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
He'll be exposed to Seattle. Man....wouldn't that be weird. I think Allen will end up being exposed as well.

He'll be exposed, but better than him will be exposed. We will protect Pietagnelo, Dunn, Parayko and Edmundson on D, allowing only Schwartz, and Tarasenko on offense. That leaves Ryan O'Reilly or Schenn exposed (although Schenn will be UFA), as well as Steen, Bozak and Fabbri. If we protect more forwards, one of our D will be available. The only way we lose Perron is if we bribe them to take him.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I do not think there is anyway he goes 60+ points like last year, but if he gets 45+ for us I think it is a pretty good signing. Third times a charm right?

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
He'll be exposed, but better than him will be exposed. We will protect Pietagnelo, Dunn, Parayko and Edmundson on D, allowing only Schwartz, and Tarasenko on offense. That leaves Ryan O'Reilly or Schenn exposed (although Schenn will be UFA), as well as Steen, Bozak and Fabbri. If we protect more forwards, one of our D will be available. The only way we lose Perron is if we bribe them to take him.
Why are the Blues only protecting two forwards? It's 4 forwards and 4 defensemen or 7 forwards and 3 defensemen, unless the expansion rules are different for when Seattle joins.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Why are the Blues only protecting two forwards? It's 4 forwards and 4 defensemen or 7 forwards and 3 defensemen, unless the expansion rules are different for when Seattle joins.

I think they'll do 4 and 4 with a trade to keep certain players.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I think they'll do 4 and 4 with a trade to keep certain players.
I think it's too early to speculate. If the Blues go 4/4, then Fabbri will likely be Seattle's choice. If the Blues go 7/3, then Edmundson/Dunn will be selected. Really depends on how Fabbri looks and develops over the next couple years. If he starts to show signs of hitting his potential pre-injuries, then I'd protect him and expose one of the D. Who knows, maybe Mikkola develops well and makes Edmundson expendable. Or Walman/Perunovich pan out and make Dunn expendable. A lot can change before the Seattle expansion so I wouldn't try to predict whether the Blues go 4/4 or 7/3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad