GWT: EPL - Matchweek 34 (ft. MW 29)

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It has been a rough time so far post Africa Cup of Nations.

He hasn't fit in well since then. But... I don't know what the options are. I would not give him the same salary he has now for an extension. He likely would want it. However, there are only so many options of where he can go.
If the Saudi bubble burst I don’t even known who buys him. That is not an attractive move as it was a year ago
I think LFC already need to plan for a replacement for Salah whether he stays one more year or leave in the summer.

I do think it is fine to sell him if Slot wants to build a team at his image.
They need to replace Salah output, but I wouldn’t look at it as replacing Salah with another right wing. I think if you move off Salah you need to get a better #9 and just start Szoboszlai up front. I think the Salah “replacements” from a positional standpoint are already in house. Next guy might even want to play Trent there. Diogo could obviously play there. Diogo, Szoboszlai and Trent are all starting XI players, but not exactly sure when they turn up on the pitch next year. It’ll certainly be interesting. But I’m not selling Salah to replace him with a worse Salah on the wing.

Reactions: luiginb

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
they're planning, of course they are. You can't build your future around a player of his age. But whether he goes or stays is the question. I think Edwards/Hughes would rather get something than walk for nothing.

If the Saudi bubble burst I don’t even known who buys him. That is not an attractive move as it was a year ago

They need to replace Salah output, but I wouldn’t look at it as replacing Salah with another right wing. I think if you move off Salah you need to get a better #9 and just start Szoboszlai up front. I think the Salah “replacements” from a positional standpoint are already in house. Next guy might even want to play Trent there. Diogo could obviously play there. Diogo, Szoboszlai and Trent are all starting XI players, but not exactly sure when they turn up on the pitch next year. It’ll certainly be interesting. But I’m not selling Salah to replace him with a worse Salah on the wing.
I don't think any of this discussion is really clear until we know who is coming in and what they want to do. I am not enamored with any of those three options up front on the regular.

I think it's more likely if Salah goes that dipping into the market to get a talented player will be the only option. They've got some players who COULD do something there, but none have shown it over the course of a season. Minimum you would want someone to come in and compete for it.

As to where Salah goes? I don't know. Somewhere in Spain on a cheaper deal might make sense for all parties.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
they're planning, of course they are. You can't build your future around a player of his age. But whether he goes or stays is the question. I think Edwards/Hughes would rather get something than walk for nothing.

I don't think any of this discussion is really clear until we know who is coming in and what they want to do. I am not enamored with any of those three options up front on the regular.

I think it's more likely if Salah goes that dipping into the market to get a talented player will be the only option. They've got some players who COULD do something there, but none have shown it over the course of a season. Minimum you would want someone to come in and compete for it.

As to where Salah goes? I don't know. Somewhere in Spain on a cheaper deal might make sense for all parties.
I mean Madrid is getting Mbappe and Barca doesn’t have the money and wouldn’t want to be blocking Yamal. I don’t think he’s going to AM or Girona. Are we sure there is a spot in Spain.

Whether enamored with the front options or not, they can’t overhaul everyone. They need to get Dom out of center midfield though. They are wasting them there. What they really need is a better 9. Trent has to play somewhere too. They are probably a better defensive team with Bradley at RB and Trent further up. You need to find spots for these guys.

I am not interviewing these guys, but the new manager better have a Trent plan. Once they figure out what to do with Trent, everything else kind of falls into place; but you need to figure that out first before you can strategize

Last edited:
Reactions: luiginb

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Italy loves older players and he's already played there as well
Of course... but the question is, who's competing for anything who can pay his likely wage demands?

Is that a move that Milan want to make? I don't really know. Juve always collects older players, but I just don't know if that excites him either.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Of course... but the question is, who's competing for anything who can pay his likely wage demands?

Is that a move that Milan want to make? I don't really know. Juve always collects older players, but I just don't know if that excites him either.

Juve also only likes players who are free :D

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean Madrid is getting Mbappe and Barca doesn’t have the money and wouldn’t want to be blocking Yamal. I don’t think he’s going to AM or Girona. Are we sure there is a spot in Spain.

Whether enamored with the front options or not, they can’t overhaul everyone. They need to get Dom out of center midfield though. They are wasting them there. What they really need is a better 9. Trent has to play somewhere too. They are probably a better defensive team with Bradley at RB and Trent further up. You need to find spots for these guys.

I am not interviewing these guys, but the new manager better have a Trent plan. Once they figure out what to do with Trent, everything else kind of falls into place; but you need to figure that out first before you can strategize
For me, I think there's a world where you can play a fit Szoboszlai in a '10' type of a role. Maybe he's able to adjust to the fitness demands.

I don't know what they want to do with Trent. If we are honest, I consider what Madrid might want to pay and not have to consider that issue. Yes, club legend, boyhood player and all, but the return on him going might be worth considering. I don't consider it for long... but man.

Juve also only likes players who are free :D
Of course. I also don't think if Liverpool sell Salah that the ask is much. They missed the boat on that one this past summer. I think a solid offer of 30-35 million, probably close to what they got for Mane, with maybe some incentives that are achievable would be something they would entertain. I guess for that you keep him, but it's also freeing up a boatload of salary and resetting your structure.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
For me, I think there's a world where you can play a fit Szoboszlai in a '10' type of a role. Maybe he's able to adjust to the fitness demands.

I don't know what they want to do with Trent. If we are honest, I consider what Madrid might want to pay and not have to consider that issue. Yes, club legend, boyhood player and all, but the return on him going might be worth considering. I don't consider it for long... but man.

Of course. I also don't think if Liverpool sell Salah that the ask is much. They missed the boat on that one this past summer. I think a solid offer of 30-35 million, probably close to what they got for Mane, with maybe some incentives that are achievable would be something they would entertain. I guess for that you keep him, but it's also freeing up a boatload of salary and resetting your structure.
I think you have it opposite. We have been trying to shoehorn Szoboszlai into that 8 role. He is a 10. He's a forward really. Look at him play for Hungary where he is the captain and he carries their offense. He is one of the best strikers of the ball on the team and they are making him do too much B2B work. I mean a Red Bull style 4222 with Szoboszlai and Trent in the attacking roles & Diogo/one of the guys that can't finish up front actually would have made a ton of sense to me. Maybe Slot deploys Szoboszlai like he deployed Kokcu if he is the new manager, but either way you have to get him closer to goal somehow.

I don't think you sell Trent. Just can't do it without trying him in a different position first. If you do not want him at RB, that's fair but you have to at least TRY him in a different spot before selling. Signing him to be an extension should be the first order of business this summer. But again, if you sign Trent and are playing him in midfield with Alexis, they are going to need a horse at 6 to do that defensive work. They need a better six anyway, but you REALLY need a certain type of player if you are rolling with Alexis and Trent as 2 of the 3

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If Slot wants double pivots, Trent can handle one of those spots.
I would not run an Alexis Trent double pivot. Thats asking for trouble. I also don’t want Trent in a roll where he has to be going backwards. That’s honestly one of the last places I would put him

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
With the fitness expectation of Slot, I would imagine it's going to be a rotational situation for most. Having player flexibility will be important. But once again, who knows.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
h
Liverpool "luckiest" to even have been in the race this long.
No one is saying LFC didn't overachieve. You can say they were Lucky. But Arsenal remains the Luckiest. You have to beat the teams on the schedule, but I have never seen a team get the kind of luck that Arsenal had with other teams best players getting injured, carded out, sick, etc. right in advance of playing them. Its wild.

PSG is the most logical landing spot for Salah imo
In the other thread I said this, but I could see Salah at PSG, but if I was in charge at PSG then I would just roll with Xavi Simons.

That being said, if PSG want Salah, I would certainly ask for Simons in any deal.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Um PSG I'm sure are happy with Dembele and Barcola on their flanks, but I can see them go for a big name player to replace Mbappe's star power.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
No one is saying LFC didn't overachieve. You can say they were Lucky. But Arsenal remains the Luckiest. You have to beat the teams on the schedule, but I have never seen a team get the kind of luck that Arsenal had with other teams best players getting injured, carded out, sick, etc. right in advance of playing them. Its wild.
God you're a crybaby 🤣

You were so sure earlier than that Liverpool was the better team, and now that that's been proven to be entirely false, you're making excuses to discredit Arsenal.

You're a f***ing joke.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
God you're a crybaby 🤣

You were so sure earlier than that Liverpool was the better team, and now that that's been proven to be entirely false, you're making excuses to discredit Arsenal.

You're a f***ing joke.
Everything in this post is false.

I have consistently said LFC was 3rd best team in the league and was getting by on the power of friendship. They were ahead of schedule, just like Arsenal was last year; but we didn’t get reinforcements in January. Any lies?

No one is discrediting Arsenal. I have been extremely complimentary to Arsenal. No one is crying either. I am saying Arsenal have gotten very lucky in playing teams at the right times. I don’t think that’s disputable either. I’m not exactly telling lies here. Lucky doesn’t mean bad. Lucky just means lucky. You need luck. There’s no reason to pretend you haven’t gotten lucky. If you aren’t secure enough to admit you’ve gotten lucky that’s on you

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Um PSG I'm sure are happy with Dembele and Barcola on their flanks, but I can see them go for a big name player to replace Mbappe's star power.
I wonder if they'd consider playing Salah up top. Or basically have a front three that is constantly interchanging.

As for the other conversation, playing the "who's luckier" game is stupid because there are a billion different ways to classify luck and none of them are really quantifiable.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I wonder if they'd consider playing Salah up top. Or basically have a front three that is constantly interchanging.
They could, but again I would just give those minutes to Simons
As for the other conversation, playing the "who's luckier" game is stupid because there are a billion different ways to classify luck and none of them are really quantifiable.
I think consistently dodging playing the other teams best players is lucky. Don’t think it’s a bad thing. Think it’s super random, but we cannot deny this has happened

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG is brining back Simons and signing Osimhen.
After that, they'll work on a big midfielder (trying for Bruno G or Kimmich), at least one big name CB and some youngsters (Doue is rumored).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad