Confirmed with Link: Blues sign David Perron (4 years @ $4m)

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
At first I didn't like the signing but now as much as I like to criticize Doug Armstrong I'll give credit where it's due and that was a great signing by Army.

Going way back I didn't like Perron and was happy that he was traded so I didn't have to see his offensive zone penalties. I like Perron now and is a better player despite the David Perron special o-zone penalty. I'm glad he is in St Louis

You missed the real issue with the Perron signing. If we didn't sign him, we would have had all that money to put towards re-signing Pietrangelo.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Perhaps we should wait until a poster provides an opinion on a given subject instead of sarcastically projecting what we think that poster might say. Putting words in people's mouths is bad discussion etiquette, and deliberately baiting someone can be considered trolling. Just putting that out there.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Bumping this thread to give DP57 a shout out for the milestones.

As a Blue: 600 games played and 400 points.
Overall in the NHL; 900 games played and 600 points.

Not NHL HOF worthy(definitely should be in the St. Louis Sports HOF at some point) but he's made a nice little career for himself.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

Not NHL HOF worthy(definitely should be in the St. Louis Sports HOF at some point) but he's made a nice little career for himself.
Could have been more Blues’ games if not for Joe Thornton and a suicide pass from Pietro (if I remember correctly).

I remember the training camp where Perron kept surviving cuts and improbably made the team. He had a cousin rooting for him on the Blues NHL forum, whose enthusiasm and faith in David was contagious. He’s matured so much and built himself into a great Blues star. I also remember when Tarasenko was reinjured, Perron said in an interview, “Someone will step up. It will be interesting to see who it is.” His increased scoring proved that it was him.

Last edited:

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
You missed the real issue with the Perron signing. If we didn't sign him, we would have had all that money to put towards re-signing Pietrangelo.
This a joke? We signed Faulk to a massive deal the offseason before losing petro......and your mad about signing a PPG player for 4 mill, two offseasons before Petro was up?

Zezel’s Pretzels

May 25, 2019

The symmetrical numbers amaze me as a total geek. DP has averaged 0.666667 PPG both as a Blue and as a non-Blue. That's bananas. And aside from the Thornton concussion (and now the COVID shortened seasons), he's been pretty reliable. 75 games/season away from StL (I'm sure that counts the games in the VGK cup finals run) and 60 games/season with, I believe. And that's after missing a damn long time after that hit.

Reactions: Blueston

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I'd love to see Perron get 6 more points and finish at PPG or above for the season. It would be a nice feather in his cap.
You'd have to think it's a pretty sure thing that we'll see 57 retired in the rafters some day. (After his next $4M x 4yr contract.)

Edit: He'd probably need another 200-250 points as a Blue to get his number retired. Unger at 575 points isn't retired, nor is Demitra (493). Steen at 765 games and 496 points may not be retired, so Perry's got some work to do yet. I can see him being productive to 36 or 37 so I hope he sticks around.

Edit 2: Perron becomes the ninth player in franchise history to reach 600 games and 400 points with the Blues, joining Bernie Federko, Brian Sutter, Alexander Steen, Alex Pietrangelo, Brett Hull, David Backes, Garry Unger and Al MacInnis. With a point Monday, Perron has now registered three seasons with 50 or more points.

Last edited:
Reactions: mike1320

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I'd love to see Perron get 6 more points and finish at PPG or above for the season. It would be a nice feather in his cap.
You'd have to think it's a pretty sure thing that we'll see 57 retired in the rafters some day. (After his next $4M x 4yr contract.)

Edit: He'd probably need another 200-250 points as a Blue to get his number retired. Unger at 575 points isn't retired, nor is Demitra (493). Steen at 765 games and 496 points may not be retired, so Perry's got some work to do yet. I can see him being productive to 36 or 37 so I hope he sticks around.

Edit 2: Perron becomes the ninth player in franchise history to reach 600 games and 400 points with the Blues, joining Bernie Federko, Brian Sutter, Alexander Steen, Alex Pietrangelo, Brett Hull, David Backes, Garry Unger and Al MacInnis. With a point Monday, Perron has now registered three seasons with 50 or more points.
The points/stats bar is unquestionably lower for core players on the franchise's first Cup team than it was for players who never won a Cup here. Barring injury, he's going to be in the franchise top 10 for games played, goals, assists, and points by the mid-point of next season. He was a big contributor in the team's first Cup and there is the lore of him "choosing St. Louis" that absolutely plays into these decisions. Once he is in the franchise top 10 for every major category, I think the only thing he has to do to get his number in the rafters is sign his next (and likely final) NHL contract with the Blues.

As much as I love Steener and praise the role he played in the Cup run, he was unquestionably less important to that run than Perron was. Perron is going to macth or exceed all of Steen's numbers if he re-signs here unless there is a major injury or ridiculous regression. Assuming Perron plays 2 more years beyond his current deal, he needs to average 55 games a year, 10 goals a year, and 22 assists per year to catch Steen's numbers. Anything else he does in the last few games this year just reduces those numbers. Staying with St. Louis is going to ensure that he he passes Steen in pretty much everything AND he was a bigger piece on the Cup team.

I don't think he'd be up there if he retired tomorrow, but signing another contract with the Blues pretty much guarantees 57 up in the rafters even with major regression. He'd need to turn into a sub-30 point player over this summer in order to regress hard enough to put a number retirement in doubt.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I love the idea of Perron getting his number retired. I’ll never forget him celebrating Sanford’s goal in Game 7 and yelling, “We’re going to win the Cup!” It was the first moment many of us jaded and battle-worn fans let ourselves believe it could be true, and he said it first.

It’s been a joy to watch his career development. I hope he retires in St Louis, and I’d absolutely support any effort to get his number in the rafters. I don’t care about detailed points arguments, but spiritually I think he’ll belong there.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
without the head shot, he is likely closer to 680 points, so he would have had a shot at 1000 points

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
without the head shot, he is likely closer to 680 points, so he would have had a shot at 1000 points

Truth.

Jumbo almost ended his career. In the end, DP hoists the Cup and Jumbo and the Sharks go home with nothing.

I can’t stop loving the karma behind that. DP should retire a Blue and his number deserves to be raised.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Everyone screwed this up. We should have just kept our D the way is was on June 13, 2019. Why we traded for Faulk -- which started the money dominoes that ultimately excluded Petro -- is a mystery. Our D corps was very solid.

Reactions: Blues Knight

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Everyone screwed this up. We should have just kept our D the way is was on June 13, 2019. Why we traded for Faulk -- which started the money dominoes that ultimately excluded Petro -- is a mystery. Our D corps was very solid.

Why did we trade for Faulk a year before Petro's UFA status? Because Petro and his agent were likely asking for 10+M from the beginning seeing how his final contract was for 8.8M with the majority of it in signing bonuses.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

We had a chance to trade Edmundson for a Dman that's far superior to him. You take that and run and figure the rest out later. Fact is we had the money to resign Pietrangelo but what he wanted was not in the best interest of the team. Maybe it's because our owner isn't a billionaire but maybe it's because Pietrangelo is a :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Perron to me is on the same tier as guys like Steen, Backes, Jackman, JBo. They’ll make the hall-of-very-good Blues players. Not quite Blues hall of famers. Damn good players though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->