Confirmed with Link: Blues sign David Perron (4 years @ $4m)

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
I like Perron. Seems like a great dude, works hard, was the middle-six glue the Blues needed a couple seasons ago. Looked very good for Vegas.

Okay, he sucks in the playoffs. I don't think it's lack of effort or unwillingness to pay the price, though. I think everybody else just ratchets it up and Perron's intensity was already as high as he knows how to get it.
BUT, I also think that was the same for Oshie until he figured it out with Washington. And in Oshie's case, I really don't think it was linemates or role. He was up and down against Philly, then suddenly had a hattrick against Pittsburgh, his confidence soared, and he's been good for the Caps in the playoffs ever since.

Lots of players have been playoff failures until later in their careers. At that price, with the Blues' current needs, that's a fine gamble to make. Not exciting, but fans were really "meh" about Perron's signing on for a second stint a few years ago and most were pleasantly surprised.
@Moose and Squirrel is right, the first few pages are so fun!

I had to bump this post and quote it.
You nailed it perfectly. The 2018-19 season was a new beginning for one of my all-time favorite Blues players. AND he’s produced in the playoffs.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I HATED this signing sooo much…until we got Ryan O’Reilly soon after. Then the picture of a Cup contender became a lot more clear.

Before the ROR trade, though, I really thought Perron and Bozak were gonna be it. I was furious.

Edit: ope yep found my post in here lol. Lots of hate for sure. Damn you Doug for not getting ROR first and then DP57. Could have saved me the embarrassing overreaction!

Last edited:

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Ah let’s see what I had to say…..

I trust some of you to show up more for the Blues in the playoffs than I do David Perron.

He’s NOT a natural right winger. He’s a left and has struggled every time we’ve tried moving him to the right.

Yup. This was true at the time. I do still think he’s better on his off side but clearly wrong about how it would go this time.

If you wanted a stopgap, you sign a guy for 1 year, maybe 2. Not 4.

Helluva stopgap :laugh:

I choose to not sign a free agent.

I want to play Tage Thompson or Jordan Kyrou and trade for Ryan O’Reilly.

I’ll aceept this Perron move if one of the best of other underperforming guys move. You move Berglund, fine I’ll take it.

Ayyy got one right

Why is one year of 66 points on a fluke team outweigh what we’ve seen for years in the past on Perron? Why?

What about David Perron’s past here enthralls you so much that you can just overlook everything that he hasn’t done here to go “see he had 66 points on a team that can’t possibly do that again!”

Not sure who this was in response to, but they were right. That one year in Vegas did absolute wonders for him.

Was never a Perron fan his first two stints but my opinion dramatically changed.

Wouldn’t go as far as retiring his number but he’s one of several names I’d love to see honored in a Blues hall of fame similar to what the Cardinals have or at least a ring of honor or something.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
This has to be the best FA signing in Blues history.

I'm sure their may have been better statistically but being this signing directly contributed to winning a Cup I'm drawing a blank on a better pickup.

It's the best Blues UFA signing in Blues history and it isn't remotely close.

When the dust settled for the 2018 free agent class, Perron's $4M cap hit made him the 257th highest paid player in the league by AAV. He is currently the 264th highest paid player by AAV. Filtering out D and goalies, he was the 145th highest paid forward in year 1 and is currently 155th.

Since signing the deal he is 42nd in points and 37th in goals in the regular season. 30th in playoff goals and 33rd in playoff points. Contract-wide stats aside, he was a key contributor to the franchise's first Cup victory. He was 4th on the team in goals, 5th in points, a solid +4, and logged 18 minutes a night on that playoff run. 4th in regular season scoring despite missing 25 games.

There is every indication that he is going to have another great season this year, which is the final year of the deal. Unlike most top UFA signings, you can't even point to a tail off at the end that justifies the front end bargain. We paid the price of a mid-low end 2nd line winger and he has been a #1 winger throughout the entire contract. No UFA signing has contributed more to team success in Blues history AND we got that contribution at an absolute bargain.

With the benefit of hindsight, it is without a question the best UFA signing in franchise history.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Necrobumper strikes again.
Oh son of a …. I thought this was an extension thread
You've been Ranksu'd.
865acb48-48c6-4d02-ae6f-ea386b079f70_text.gif

Reactions: Meatball

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Who are the top 10 UFA signings in 54 years of Blues history? Or by position? Did we sign any free agents before Scott Stevens? Blues paid the penalty for changing hockey, much like Curt Flood did personally in baseball.

Perron aging like a fine wine is very sweet for him losing over a year of play in his young prime.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Who are the top 10 UFA signings in 54 years of Blues history? Or by position? Did we sign any free agents before Scott Stevens? Blues paid the penalty for changing hockey, much like Curt Flood did personally in baseball.

Perron aging like a fine wine is very sweet for him losing over a year of play in his young prime.

This is definitely the best contract the Blues have signed in the cap era. He is a legit top line player that gets paid like a high-end 3rd liner, pretty insane if you think about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad