Blues Prospects Thread 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I was looking at data from Elite Prospects on Vadim Zherenko recently and noticed that he has bounced back and forth between the MHL and the VHL. Are these two leagues basically like the AHL and ECHL (respectively) to the KHL or is there is different pecking order. Does anyone here know for sure?

Also, I was surprised (for some reason) to find that he is only 19. I had no idea that he was younger than both Hofer and Ellis. For some reason I thought he was older and had been in our system longer.
Apparently according to people who watch it or know about it, VHL seems to be like AHL where MHL is definitively the junior equivalent to the OHL. Idk how they can move guys like that between teams, but yea I've noticed that a lot too

Reactions: MissouriMook

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Apparently according to people who watch it or know about it, VHL seems to be like AHL where MHL is definitively the junior equivalent to the OHL. Idk how they can move guys like that between teams, but yea I've noticed that a lot too
European players are often under contract to professional team and loaned to juniors teams. Yo yoing between them isn't uncommon.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I was looking at data from Elite Prospects on Vadim Zherenko recently and noticed that he has bounced back and forth between the MHL and the VHL. Are these two leagues basically like the AHL and ECHL (respectively) to the KHL or is there is different pecking order. Does anyone here know for sure?

Also, I was surprised (for some reason) to find that he is only 19. I had no idea that he was younger than both Hofer and Ellis. For some reason I thought he was older and had been in our system longer.
Generally speaking, I think the Euro leagues shuttle players between teams more frequently. Some of that is to get players more playing time and make the lower clubs they are affiliated with more competitive.

The specifics of this case, I am uncertain.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Just really unfortunate news for Perunovich who will have shoulder surgery. Definitely not excited to have another player have shoulder surgery, but hopefully he can recover and have a long productive career without any other issues

Reactions: mk80

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Did he injure it in a practice? That's horrible luck.
Was probably something he was battling for a few weeks to months and they decided if he wasn't getting better to just have the surgery. This strategy seems to be pretty common in sports

Reactions: mk80

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Utica in 2nd intermission:
Reinke - 1 assist
Tucker - 1 assist, first professional point
Anas - 2 assists

Reinke looks to be back in form point wise (3 points in 4 games), though he is still a minus defender. Tucker is leading his team in +/- though I'm not sure what that's saying quite yet. Anas isn't necessarily a surprise, but I'm glad we have him as a depth option. Could've really helped the T-birds, but we'll have to settle with the Comets for now.

Edit: Joshua with a goal, McGing with his first professional point (assist), Nolan Stevens with an assist as well. Comets win 5-2

Last edited:

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Kostin with an OT goal today, 22+ min of ice, 7 hits, 5 sog, he's clearly feeling it and engaged. This is good to see and hopefully he can continue this in the NHL. for reference, he has 13 points (6g, 7a) in 14 games
He might have just needed some more time to develop. Remember, he lost most of his draft year due to injury and then tried to come over into a mens league in North America when he'd never played in the smaller rinks. I hope this is the year he turns the corner and grows into the talent that he has

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
At this point, I think a 3rd line role is his to lose next season. It will be interesting to see if we find room for him in the lineup for the playoffs. We certainly might need him if we can’t squash this injury bug.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
He might have just needed some more time to develop. Remember, he lost most of his draft year due to injury and then tried to come over into a mens league in North America when he'd never played in the smaller rinks. I hope this is the year he turns the corner and grows into the talent that he has
He played pretty well last season in the AHL, but there were a lot of concerns about his IQ on the ice and if he could develop enough talent without having to keep his head down a bunch. He obviously needed to get used to the smaller rink as well as learn enough English, but he improved quite a bit for those 2+ years. However, he went like 27 games with only 5 points this year and maintained a relatively high ice time average over that span. I don't know what the issue was for him not being effective, but he has seemed to put it together as of late

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
He played pretty well last season in the AHL, but there were a lot of concerns about his IQ on the ice and if he could develop enough talent without having to keep his head down a bunch. He obviously needed to get used to the smaller rink as well as learn enough English, but he improved quite a bit for those 2+ years. However, he went like 27 games with only 5 points this year and maintained a relatively high ice time average over that span. I don't know what the issue was for him not being effective, but he has seemed to put it together as of late

I don’t think that is right. He was averaging 11 minutes of ice time and playing on the 4th line. Then in December he bumped to the first line. I think this may have been due to him staying in Russia.

I wonder it is easier to produce in the KHL due to the large ice. Maybe it works better for his style.... I don’t know

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I don’t think that is right. He was averaging 11 minutes of ice time and playing on the 4th line. Then in December he bumped to the first line. I think this may have been due to him staying in Russia.

I wonder it is easier to produce in the KHL due to the large ice. Maybe it works better for his style.... I don’t know
Damn yup you're right. I thought I had gone back and checked he was averaging ~13 min of ice time, but it looks like he was hovering around 11.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
You mean people gave up on a young kid too early? That’s never happened before :sarcasm:

But for real, I can’t wait to see what he does when he comes back

Reactions: brokeu91

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Did Army lost Sam Anas' and Nolan Stevens number or something? Seems a bit weird, ignoring the Comets best player (Anas) and promoting a plug.
Presumably whomever we recall would play in bottom 6. The other guys may be more skilled but don’t fill role we would want them to fill.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Presumably whomever we recall would play in bottom 6. The other guys may be more skilled but don’t fill role we would want them to fill.

If this was the case we would still have to call up Nolan Stevens before we call up Dakota Joshua IMO.

Reactions: ezcreepin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad