Blues Prospects Thread 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I haven't watched much of Washkurak but from what I've read online, it sounds like he's a buzzsaw type player who never takes a shift off and can contribute offensively periodically, albeit slightly undersized. If he turns out to be a pre-KHL Sobotka I would be pretty ecstatic.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Lets not forget that Sobotka was ppg in the minors as soon as he entered as a 20 year old. Depending on where he played, you could definitely argue more opportunities and better linemates, but I'd pump the breaks a bit. Even for guys that don't score a ton in the NHL, they usually dominate in the minors. Definitely not a guarantee that you have to score a ton in the minors, and he still has time, but it's a big step up from AHL to NHL.

Reactions: Blueston

ArenaRat

Jan 19, 2022
Nola
Pre-KHL Sobotka was one of the best 3rd line players in the NHL at the time. Loved watching his game.
Yes, in addition to occasional scoring contributions, he was a very effective agitator, brought energy, smarts and solid checking all over the ice. And you're right, at that time his value relative to his role was high -- anyone would have wanted Sobotka. That said, the most recent 3rd line combo (at yesterday's practice) illustrates the talent upgrade we've made: Saad / Thomas / Kyrou

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Lets not forget that Sobotka was ppg in the minors as soon as he entered as a 20 year old. Depending on where he played, you could definitely argue more opportunities and better linemates, but I'd pump the breaks a bit. Even for guys that don't score a ton in the NHL, they usually dominate in the minors. Definitely not a guarantee that you have to score a ton in the minors, and he still has time, but it's a big step up from AHL to NHL.
I'm more so referring to the style of play rather than point production. Sobotka ripped up the AHL and eventually was able to transition to the NHL in a bottom six role and put up respectable numbers for the Blues. He provided a high level of tenacity and chippiness that many fans adored. After his stint in the KHL, his style of play changed to trying to be a more skill player which he simply isn't cut out for at the NHL level. He lost a lot of that gumption (as Panger would say) that made him so valuable to the team. I'm not expecting Washkurak to replicate Sobotka's offensive production, but just strictly looking at it from a playstyle perspective I think there are some similarities.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm more so referring to the style of play rather than point production. Sobotka ripped up the AHL and eventually was able to transition to the NHL in a bottom six role and put up respectable numbers for the Blues. He provided a high level of tenacity and chippiness that many fans adored. After his stint in the KHL, his style of play changed to trying to be a more skill player which he simply isn't cut out for at the NHL level. He lost a lot of that gumption (as Panger would say) that made him so valuable to the team. I'm not expecting Washkurak to replicate Sobotka's offensive production, but just strictly looking at it from a playstyle perspective I think there are some similarities.
Gotcha. Yeah, if he can even just develop into a 4th line pest/agitator/Sobotka type, that would be great for that pick.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Waiting for Bengals-Titans kickoff. How about some 2022 draft talk?

Two possibilities - LHD

Owen Pickering -LHD – Swift Current Broncos (WHL) 6'5" 180

Calle Odelius of (SHL) Djurgardens IF 6' 185
I thought the 2022 draft class was supposed to be amazing (I hear this almost every year, ha, but especially for 2022), but heard a couple of days ago that scouts think it will be weaker than average. I’ll be fairly surprised if we still have our own 1st come draft time (Tarasenko trade TBD).

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I thought the 2022 draft class was supposed to be amazing (I hear this almost every year, ha, but especially for 2022), but heard a couple of days ago that scouts think it will be weaker than average. I’ll be fairly surprised if we still have our own 1st come draft time (Tarasenko trade TBD).
We don't have a 2nd. I'm not sure if Armstrong would be crazy about not drafting until the 3rd round.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
We don't have a 2nd. I'm not sure if Armstrong would be crazy about not drafting until the 3rd round.

I think he would move the first, especially if he can get another in the off-season. I just don’t think it will be used for a rental.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Yes, in addition to occasional scoring contributions, he was a very effective agitator, brought energy, smarts and solid checking all over the ice. And you're right, at that time his value relative to his role was high -- anyone would have wanted Sobotka. That said, the most recent 3rd line combo (at yesterday's practice) illustrates the talent upgrade we've made: Saad / Thomas / Kyrou

He was also one of the best faceoff men in the game. Hitch regularly used Vladi to take defensive zone faceoffs in close games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad