Blues Prospects Thread 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
And still, he's a lot better then Dakota Joshua.

IMO Stevens is 'emergency backup-level', just like Walker, Poganski and McKenzie.
Rather see Walker in then Stevens. He doesnt have legs for NHL level.

And you ranked Poganski lowest at #20 spot and #21 Stevens.

I have to say I didnt like at all Stevens game at scrimmages and last year. He is fine AHL level, but nothing close to NHL level. Really far away from being level of Poganski.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'd give him a shot a Sandford's spot now if he wasn't in KHL.
I just realized that their regular season ends in a week. He could be here and in the lineup in less than 3 weeks if his team (seeded#6 right now) gets knocked out in the first round.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Because everyone loves a replay, here's the OT goal:

Aaaaaaaand a little bonus:

Is it just the angle, or does it look like he elbows the guy trying to catch up on the back check as Kostin crosses into the ozone on that breakaway?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016

I have to say I didnt like at all Stevens game at scrimmages and last year. He is fine AHL level, but nothing close to NHL level. Really far away from being level of Poganski.
I don't understand the hate for Stevens, I quite like him as a prospect right now. I thought he had a decent 2-way game and scored at relatively the same pace as Poganski in the AHL being a year younger.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't understand the hate for Stevens, I quite like him as a prospect right now. I thought he had a decent 2-way game and scored at relatively the same pace as Poganski in the AHL being a year younger.
Yeah he is good at AHL, but I don't see he has leg speed for be successful at NHL. He would be easily NHL bittom player if he was fast enough. Too slow in my liking. This is just my view of him.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I just realized that their regular season ends in a week. He could be here and in the lineup in less than 3 weeks if his team (seeded#6 right now) gets knocked out in the first round.
Correction: For some reason I had it in my head that he was playing for Dinamo Minsk but his team, Avangard Omsk, is actually 2nd in their conference, so barring an upset he probably won’t be returning to NA until late March or early April. I would still expect him to be available for the playoffs and there is still the possibility that he finds some ice time in the regular season.

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
Correction: For some reason I had it in my head that he was playing for Dinamo Minsk but his team, Avangard Omsk, is actually 2nd in their conference, so barring an upset he probably won’t be returning to NA until late March or early April. I would still expect him to be available for the playoffs and there is still the possibility that he finds some ice time in the regular season.

No worries, thanks for the update! I’m a fan of Kostin and have enjoyed seeing him heating up in the KHL lately.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Is it just the angle, or does it look like he elbows the guy trying to catch up on the back check as Kostin crosses into the ozone on that breakaway?

it looks like almost the same play that Tarasenko rehurt his shoulder on

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
If Kostin were in the AHL in a normal season, he’d have a great opportunity in the NHL right now with all the forwards out.
Was thinking the same thing. Wish we could see him in the NHL: right now, but it might be better for his long term development to stay in the KHL for this season.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Was thinking the same thing. Wish we could see him in the NHL: right now, but it might be better for his long term development to stay in the KHL for this season.
Yeah. He seems to have figured it out. Let him ride the wave. His longterm development is more important than an extra couple points for us right now.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I kind of wonder if Kostin’s time and relative success in the KHL will end up making it easier for him to pull the plug on his North American career if he doesn’t secure an NHL roster spot next season. The KHL is a lot less abstract option now, and he surely has more contacts there now than he had.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Based on what? Not trying to be rude,

Don't worry, I don't think you are... ;)

but how much of either Stevens or Joshua have you seen in last season+?

I've seen a few Rampage games here and there last season and I'm also trying to watch highlights where I can, however haven't seen any full Comets games yet this year so my opinion on both of them is mostly based on what I've seen from them up untill last season halted. Last season Stevens was quite effective, both offensively and defensively with the Rampage playing mostly from their 3rd line and from what I've read and seen on this years highlights he has continued this trend.

I'm not expecting Stevens to be a world beater or anything like that, but we do know that he's at least a good AHL-player. I don't think Stevens playing sheltered minutes on our 4th line is going to be a liability. To be fair, I also don't think Stevens has more potential then just that. Joshua on the other hand hasn't excited me at all in my limited viewings of him. He spend a part of last season with Tulsa in the ECHL and wasn't really standing out there. However, as I said, I haven't seen any live Comets games yet this year and it's always a possibility that Joshua found a higher gear. From what I've read he had a decent start with the Comets and had a highlight reel goal a couple of games ago.

Not sure on the leg part but I agree with playing Walker over Stevens. Don't think Walker is THAT much better then Stevens but Walker does have more experience at the NHL-level.

True, although I don't really understand what point you're trying to make. ;)

Just to be certain, I think I've also said it somewhere else, but In my view 24/25 year old skaters that are waiver eligible shouldn't be seen as prospects, which is the reason why I ranked Poganski, Stevens and Walman a lot lower then most others.

I really hope you're right on Poganski (and I'm wrong), but I haven't seen anything yet out of him that will make me think he will be better then MacEachern.

Reactions: Blueston

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Matt Kessel and his UMass Minutemen mates have come off a 14-day COVID Pause just in time to squeeze in a few more regular season games before the Hockey East men's conference tourney begins on March 10th. Their next game @ Providence College will be streamed for free on CBS Sports Live @ 6:00 p.m. Central tonight (2/23). The Minutemen are currently ranked 3rd in Hockey East according to the overly complicated "Power Index" scheme adopted to compensate for the imbalance in #s of games played among the teams.

Tonight's UMass-Amherst Athletics Dept. game preview has this to say about Kessel's accomplishments so far in this pandemic-shortened season ...
Sophomore Matthew Kessel leads all defensemen nationally in goals (9) and goals per-game (0.47), is tied for eighth in points (16) and tied for seventh in points per-game (0.84).
ETA: Kessel notched 1 assist, 2 PIM, and 1 SOG on the night in an 8-1 Minuteman victory @ Providence. He didn't get nearly the ice time he was seeing before the team's pause. It looked like the UMass coaching staff was giving the nod to their upper classmen, maybe to get the team rolling again as they approach the end of the regular season.

Last edited:

aceoutdoor

Jun 7, 2012
Always thought Kostin had a high ceiling, while most seemed to focus on his floor due to his slow development. If you watch some recent games, locker room footage and interviews he is finally gaining confidence and starting to hit his stride. Hopefully his trajectory continues up, and may turn into a dangerous top 6 forward.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Matt Kessel and his UMass Minutemen mates have come off a 14-day COVID Pause just in time to squeeze in a few more regular season games before the Hockey East men's conference tourney begins on March 10th. Their next game @ Providence College will be streamed for free on CBS Sports Live @ 6:00 p.m. Central tonight (2/23). The Minutemen are currently ranked 3rd in Hockey East according to the overly complicated "Power Index" scheme adopted to compensate for the imbalance in #s of games played among the teams.

Tonight's UMass-Amherst Athletics Dept. game preview has this to say about Kessel's accomplishments so far in this pandemic-shortened season ...

ETA: Kessel notched 1 assist, 2 PIM, and 1 SOG on the night in an 8-1 Minuteman victory @ Providence. He didn't get nearly the ice time he was seeing before the team's pause. It looked like the UMass coaching staff was giving the nod to their upper classmen, maybe to get the team rolling again as they approach the end of the regular season.
Didn't watch much of the game after UMass' second goal, but Kessel had a nice play on the first goal skating the puck end to end on the PP before dishing it.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Always thought Kostin had a high ceiling, while most seemed to focus on his floor due to his slow development. If you watch some recent games, locker room footage and interviews he is finally gaining confidence and starting to hit his stride. Hopefully his trajectory continues up, and may turn into a dangerous top 6 forward.

Kostin = Kyrou. The Blues have two top-six forwards in these guys.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Kostin = Kyrou. The Blues have two top-six forwards in these guys.
How fun would a Kostin-Thomas-Kyrou line be..... even on the surface thinking of a Powerforward with skill, pure IQ/vision playmaker and a high octane high speed scorer with vision and playmaking ability..... Little bit of everything on this line with two constants skill and skating ability in all three. Biggest issue would be defensive play/matchups. Probably guys you'd want spread throughout your lineup with veterans come playoffs etc...but it'd be a fun regular season line to watch

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
How fun would a Kostin-Thomas-Kyrou line be..... even on the surface thinking of a Powerforward with skill, pure IQ/vision playmaker and a high octane high speed scorer with vision and playmaking ability..... Little bit of everything on this line with two constants skill and skating ability in all three. Biggest issue would be defensive play/matchups. Probably guys you'd want spread throughout your lineup with veterans come playoffs etc...but it'd be a fun regular season line to watch
Someday I think we'll see it. Thomas and Kyrou are both excellent and good defensively. Kostin will need time to develop that, but I don't think it's out of the question that he does.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Wow. Didn't think their regular season ended so soon. Sanford should be VERY nervous.:m-dance:

Sanford is going nowhere. He's one of Berube's most trusted defensive forwards and plays a much bigger role than Kostin could fill this year. I'm curious to see what Kostin can do, but it won't be Sanford he's bumping from the lineup.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Sanford is going nowhere. He's one of Berube's most trusted defensive forwards and plays a much bigger role than Kostin could fill this year. I'm curious to see what Kostin can do, but it won't be Sanford he's bumping from the lineup.

With all of the injuries, Sanford wont be kicked out of the lineup. We just don't have the bodies. Did anyone actually think that Dakota Joshua would be in the line up at any point this year? We had a lot of depth prior to the season beginning.......

However, next season I hope for Kostin to push Sanford every night and fight for a top 6 spot. A motivated Sanford is a solid top 6. An unmotivated Sanford isn't worth much (but the same could be said for many players on the roster).

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Congrats to the next savior on a three-year professional contract:

Colten Ellis signs ELC

He's absolutely killing it in the Q this year. ( 16-1-0 record in 17 games while ranking second in the league with a 1.89 goals-against average and third with a .922 save percentage)
If Husso or Hofer can't push Binnington, then maybe Ellis (or Zherenko) can.

(Has Fitzpatrick been banished into the wilderness somewhere?)

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Congrats to the next savior on a three-year professional contract:

Colten Ellis signs ELC

He's absolutely killing it in the Q this year. ( 16-1-0 record in 17 games while ranking second in the league with a 1.89 goals-against average and third with a .922 save percentage)
If Husso or Hofer can't push Binnington, then maybe Ellis (or Zherenko) can.

(Has Fitzpatrick been banished into the wilderness somewhere?)
Fitz never seemed to recover from allowing that late goal from around center ice in exhibition game couple years back. He was terrible last year. I just can't see him in our plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad