Blues Prospects Thread 2020-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
If the Blues have a slot open for an "offensive defenseman" when Kessel's time for The Big Show arrives, he will be ready to fit that role. Just don't expect him to be impressive on the defensive end of the ice, unless he improves a LOT in the meantime.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
If the Blues have a slot open for an "offensive defenseman" when Kessel's time for The Big Show arrives, he will be ready to fit that role. Just don't expect him to be impressive on the defensive end of the ice, unless he improves a LOT in the meantime.
He is having a great time right now, so I am not too worried about that. Having said that, I would prefer he learn basic defense principles first. I think that is the better way to develop defensemen, as it helps to stop them from learning bad habits. It is what it is. There is still a lot of time for him to learn how to play sound defense.

Reactions: JMCx4

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Kostin goes 2-3 games without a point and then pulls out a 3 assist game.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Washkurak sighting

4.png
HK Levice
Slovakia2 12471141-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Not a prospect anymore but can someone tell me why tf Jaskin is scoring 30 goals a season in the KHL? Is he really getting that much room to shoot?

Reactions: Blueston

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Not a prospect anymore but can someone tell me why tf Jaskin is scoring 30 goals a season in the KHL? Is he really getting that much room to shoot?
I think the short answer is because he's always been a scorer. I just think that some combination of low hockey IQ and being "broken" by Hitch turning him into a defensive player left him good at virtually nothing. I just feel like he couldn't process his defensive responsibilities and still hang on to his scoring instincts, and he wasn't going to see the ice if he didn't play defense.

Frankly, he may never come back to the NHL. I think if he does, though, he could absolutely contribute as a middle-6 scoring threat in this league and be a 20 goals scorer. I think he needed to reach rock bottom so to speak in order to find a way to put things together at the pro level. He seems like a good kid (though apparently maybe too much of a loner to be a really good teammate) and I think he'll be able to take and keep a job in the NHL if he decides to go that route.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Thanks for posting that. What is interesting, when looking at his team - most have played 21- 25 games. And he is 7th in scoring despite this - team high is 17 points in 24 game. Also, he has the 3rd most PIMs on his team - One of the other leaders had 64 in 21games. He is clearly producing at a higher rate (points wise and PIMs) then pretty much everyone else on the team.

He is also playing against men, not kids. Pretty solid numbers.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Thanks for posting that. What is interesting, when looking at his team - most have played 21- 25 games. And he is 7th in scoring despite this - team high is 17 points in 24 game. Also, he has the 3rd most PIMs on his team - One of the other leaders had 64 in 21games. He is clearly producing at a higher rate (points wise and PIMs) then pretty much everyone else on the team.

Nice to see him producing, but how good is the 2nd Slovakian league? Is it even ECHL quality?

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018

Don't want to rain on the parade, but lets not forget he's playing in Slovakia's 2nd league. Sure he's playing against men, but those men aren't very good, I'd be very dissapointed if his numbers would be bad against this competition. Tag Bertuzzi, who normally would have been playing for the Hamilton Bulldogs is on the same team and has been out producing Washer. Like the Slovakian men, Tag Bertuzzi also isn't that good (went undrafted twice).

IMO his PIM's are also too high ATM. I'd rather have him on the ice where he can actually contribute (especially when he's probably their most talented player) then in the box.

Reactions: Blueston

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I think the short answer is because he's always been a scorer. I just think that some combination of low hockey IQ and being "broken" by Hitch turning him into a defensive player left him good at virtually nothing. I just feel like he couldn't process his defensive responsibilities and still hang on to his scoring instincts, and he wasn't going to see the ice if he didn't play defense.

Frankly, he may never come back to the NHL. I think if he does, though, he could absolutely contribute as a middle-6 scoring threat in this league and be a 20 goals scorer. I think he needed to reach rock bottom so to speak in order to find a way to put things together at the pro level. He seems like a good kid (though apparently maybe too much of a loner to be a really good teammate) and I think he'll be able to take and keep a job in the NHL if he decides to go that route.
I think his skating will prevent him from getting an NHL job again, or at least to the capacity that you could foresee him getting. He just seemed to skate like he had 100 pound weights in his skates and his shot never looked impressive, probably because he never had enough room to get a good shot off (mainly because of his skating I feel).

Don't want to rain on the parade, but lets not forget he's playing in Slovakia's 2nd league. Sure he's playing against men, but those men aren't very good, I'd be very dissapointed if his numbers would be bad against this competition. Tag Bertuzzi, who normally would have been playing for the Hamilton Bulldogs is on the same team and has been out producing Washer. Like the Slovakian men, Tag Bertuzzi also isn't that good (went undrafted twice).

IMO his PIM's are also too high ATM. I'd rather have him on the ice where he can actually contribute (especially when he's probably their most talented player) then in the box.
I think Washkurak will be a type of player that can score about a point per game in every league except for the NHL. Some players just never wow in any league, but they have enough intangibles to carve out a decent career. I doubt he ever sees 3rd line time because of his offense, but rather because he fits the style of the line, that sort of thing.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

You realize that 2nd division Slovakian is likely as good as if not better the OHL where he would be....

Reactions: kudla

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Jaskin’s only real problems were his speed and a agility. Yeah he had a weak shot, but it was accurate when he got it off.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
You realize that 2nd division Slovakian is likely as good as if not better the OHL where he would be....

It's hard to compare both leagues, but in my view I'd say the OHL is a lot more talented while the Slovakian 2nd division is physically more mature (boys vs. men idea). IMO quality wise I'd compare the Slovak 2nd league to the SPHL. A league just below the ECHL.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
It's hard to compare both leagues, but in my view I'd say the OHL is a lot more talented while the Slovakian 2nd division is physically more mature (boys vs. men idea). IMO quality wise I'd compare the Slovak 2nd league to the SPHL. A league just below the ECHL.

I don’t know. I have a hard enough time trying to figure out the difference between the top leagues in Europe.

There are more then a few players in the OHL who will never play pro hockey, ECHL or otherwise. But high end talent may be better in the OHL.

Atleast he is playing competive hockey this year.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Pretty wild coincidence that Dominik Bokk is now in the AHL playing for... the Chicago Wolves. In some alternate universe where the Blues retained that affiliation and didn’t trade for Faulk, the same thing would also be true today. Not putting a value judgment on that at all, it’s just crazy that’s where he has ended up.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Pretty wild coincidence that Dominik Bokk is now in the AHL playing for... the Chicago Wolves. In some alternate universe where the Blues retained that affiliation and didn’t trade for Faulk, the same thing would also be true today. Not putting a value judgment on that at all, it’s just crazy that’s where he has ended up.
His production in SHL has regressed each year since trade. He has talent but sure hasn’t put it together.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
His production in SHL has regressed each year since trade. He has talent but sure hasn’t put it together.
I had always hoped Bokk would pan out, he reminded me of a Pastrnak type of guy. If he can put it together, good for the Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad