Blues #1 goaltender race Allen vs. Binnington vs. Husso?

Blues #1 goaltender?

• Jake Allen

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • Jordan Binnington

Votes: 95 74.8%
  • Ville Husso

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Jared Koreau

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Evan Fitzpatrick

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't have an atheletic subscription, and thus I'm not exposed to any of JR's writing firsthand, I get the cliff notes here. So I can't comment on how effective, accurate or the intent behind any of JR's pieces.

But, the role of effective journalism in general is to inform the public, make people question and deliberate over topics that are seldomly as black & white as they are often portrayed in everyday discussions. I don't see much investigative reporting these days, its becoming a lost art - local papers can't hold onto talent, it moves on quickly to bigger opportunities. And that pool of people at the top is steadily becoming less talented.

Journalism as an art form is dying in America, whether you subscribe to the theory that corporate America is stifling it, political correctness is preventing driven opinated people from seeking out these roles, the quality of education is lesser, the general audience is dumber and can't handle intelligent discourse or the internet itself undermines the written word. I can't speak to international print, but I certainly know that the quality of articles and topics engaged in national papers is degrading. Sentence structure deteriorates and typos are frequently printed as editors miss them. There was an article published on the NHL app stating that there were 6 divisions in the NHL yesterday... Clearly the author and editor aren't terribly well versed in what they're covering.

Literacy rates continue to degrade across the country. I work with a number of people who struggle to read and write, in a role where you're required to be educated. My mother is a high school teacher whose role has become assisting those with reading difficulties, and she's steadily being given a larger number of students to help from year to year (over the past 10 years). It's actually alarming to view some of the statistics on how many students are punted ahead a year, because teachers are not allowed to fail them so they can stay and finish acquiring the skills to successfully process and understand more advanced material.

I highly recommend the Athletic. I'm pretty critical of JR, but the quality of articles at the Athletic is way higher than the majority of sports journalism. I despise the click bait headlines and rush to break news that has become the norm in sports journalism, so I'm happy to spend some money on a site that is going a different direction.

I'm a prosecutor that handles a lot of misdemeanor/petty theft cases. One common component of my judge's sentencing order is that the defendants write a 1-2 age report on how shoplifting impacts businesses and the community. I'm dealing with a pretty high risk portion of the population, but the the lack of reading and writing skills that I see is incredibly disheartening.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
JR detractors, don't listen to his most recent podcast. He can't push the locker room issues narrative anymore. Instead in a similar manner, he started pushing a narrative that Binnington was benched because the Blues don't like his flippant attitude with the press and think he is getting too cocky too fast. By similar manner, I mean where he mixes his own speculation with implication that he has sources or connections he can't share. "I traveled on the road trip....people around the league are kind of talking about "Is Jordan Binnington getting a little too big for his britches". Who are these people around the league? Why share that you traveled on the trip if it wasn't the team who said these things?

Soundcloud Link
- Topic starts at 30:30, Shouldn't need an athletic sub since it is soundcloud

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
JR detractors, don't listen to his most recent podcast. He can't push the locker room issues narrative anymore. Instead in a similar manner, he started pushing a narrative that Binnington was benched because the Blues don't like his flippant attitude with the press and think he is getting too cocky too fast. By similar manner, I mean where he mixes his own speculation with implication that he has sources or connections he can't share. "I traveled on the road trip....people around the league are kind of talking about "Is Jordan Binnington getting a little too big for his britches". Who are these people around the league? Why share that you traveled on the trip if it wasn't the team who said these things?

Soundcloud Link
You could switch Binnington with Rutherford and hockey with writing, and his statement would be a spot on description. The more this season has gone on, the more I believe Rutherford is intentionally drumming up drama for clicks to show he can compete with his fellow Athletic writers, but I think he'll end up driving away more people than he'll bring in over the long term

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Soundcloud Link
I havnt listen to the podcast yet, but that's pretty annoying. I "could" see some of the old guard being irk'd by Binnington's so called attitude. So he's not sitting there holding his hat in his hands making puppy dog eyes at the camera while he praises the other team for a tough game and endlessly praises his teammates.

People have said JT's question was stupid.....what's the big f***in deal? Unless this guy is a straight up **** to his teammates, why should we care that he doesnt give the same scripted answers that everyone else does.

Edit: ok so after listening to the podcast, I didnt really get the feeling JR was trying to start another controversy. Being 1 of 3/4 Blues writers, he isnt going to name names. If people dont go on he record, all he can do is either pass along what he's hearing or not say anything at all. I'd rather hear something then nothing, But to each their own. As for Binnington's attitude, people are taking it the wrong way and as JR said...the NHL loves to dull players personalities.

I criticize the guy when he deserves it but some on this board act like he has some malice intent. He's the same writer that he's been with some more freedoms. He will engage with you if you have a problem and not try to be an internet tough guy like Korac. He's the best local guy we have....for better or worse

Last edited:

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Army is not a good GM.
What does this have to do with Yappi's comment? Army has his faults, but I wouldn't say he's not a good GM. There's a reason he's been chosen as GM for the Canadian Olympic and World Championship teams. Sobotka, Steen, Berglund, and Allen haven't been great contracts, but he was also able to maneuver out of them.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Army is definitely a good GM. I don't think people understand how bad some other teams have it.

He's made a few contract blunders but he's never really lost a trade. He could have got more value for Oshie but at the same time Brouwer was a huge part of the WCF run so it's not like it was a terrible trade.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I wouldn't say Armstrong is great, but the idea of trying to find a new GM is a scary thought. There are just so many worse ones out there.

Ironically, two that I would gladly take over Armstrong are both available in Yzerman and Hextall.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Army is definitely a good GM. I don't think people understand how bad some other teams have it.

He's made a few contract blunders but he's never really lost a trade. He could have got more value for Oshie but at the same time Brouwer was a huge part of the WCF run so it's not like it was a terrible trade.
That was a terrible trade lol. It's ok though, Oshie was on the market for awhile...why he didnt return more, who knows. If Army wanted Brouwer that bad, well then that's on him but he's made up for it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I wouldn't say Armstrong is great, but the idea of trying to find a new GM is a scary thought. There are just so many worse ones out there.

Ironically, two that I would gladly take over Armstrong are both available in Yzerman and Hextall.
Why Hextall?

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
That was a terrible trade lol. It's ok though, Oshie was on the market for awhile...why he didnt return more, who knows. If Army wanted Brouwer that bad, well then that's on him but he's made up for it.

It wasn't a great trade but if the worst trade we can think of happen to include a big part of a deep playoff run then that's pretty decent was my point.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Why Hextall?
I really liked what he did for Philly in his time there. He had a very patient approach and targeted some pretty solid players during his time. I respect that. The only real blunder I saw from him was keeping Hakstol for as long as he did.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I really liked what he did for Philly in his time there. He had a very patient approach and targeted some pretty solid players during his time. I respect that. The only real blunder I saw from him was keeping Hakstol for as long as he did.
Patience got him fired though. Not criticizing your opinion, but you need GM that knows when to push. You cant wait for prospects forever if your main guys are Giroux and Vorecek

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

The bolded is pretty much what Armstrong's been like since he took over as GM during the summer of 2010. Army, for the most part, is willing to ride or die with the roster he's assembled and very rarely makes a rash acquisition(save for Michalek and Miller). He didn't fire Hitch after 2014-2015.

He acquired ROR for peanuts as well as giving up 2 1st picks and dumping Lehtera for Schenn.

Armstrong is a good GM. The playoff success hasn't met the same level of his player transactions(yet), but I think the Blues are better with him as GM than without.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Patience got him fired though. Not criticizing your opinion, but you need GM that knows when to push. You cant wait for prospects forever if your main guys are Giroux and Vorecek
Which is fair, but he also inherited a one-and-a-half line team with no defensive or goaltending depth. Mark Streit was 37 and was the Flyers top producing defenseman. This was a team relying on Steve Mason as their top goaltender. The flyers needed depth on pretty much all fronts, and they didn't have the prospect depth they have now to make trades work.

While you can't for prospects forever, you still have to take time a lay a foundation, and Hextall did that quite well in my opinion. Besides, Hextall had only been named active GM since May of 2014. The guy only had the team for a little over 4 years before he was canned. Frankly, I think he was the least of the problems the Flyers were facing at the time he was fired.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
What does this have to do with Yappi's comment? Army has his faults, but I wouldn't say he's not a good GM. There's a reason he's been chosen as GM for the Canadian Olympic and World Championship teams. Sobotka, Steen, Berglund, and Allen haven't been great contracts, but he was also able to maneuver out of them.

I keep hearing about Army being a good GM. I don't think he is, I think he's a mediocre GM that's had more luck than skill with a few notable exceptions, ROR being the biggest one. He isn't proactive and takes forever to fix something that isn't rocket science, like the team needing a PP Coach.

Army is good enough to get us in the playoffs more often than not but lacks the extra gear to take us to the next step. We are spent to the Cap and should have the team we need by now under him to hunt for the Cup.

If he was a recent hire I'd give him a lot more rope but how many more years does Dough Armstrong need to build a real contender? I love the Blues but I'm not much a believer in him. When he came on board we had issues with offense, today we have the same problem.

It might just be that we need to flush the mid six and lose players like Steen and Schwartz and I'm being silly but I'm watching how other teams are building and I'm like why can't be us? What else does Army need to get us there? Money? Talent? Time?

My comment was originally aimed at Happy saying a Good GM wouldn't meddle. I think Army does and I might be wrong but I'll stand by that.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I keep hearing about Army being a good GM. I don't think he is, I think he's a mediocre GM that's had more luck than skill with a few notable exceptions, ROR being the biggest one. He isn't proactive and takes forever to fix something that isn't rocket science, like the team needing a PP Coach.

Army is good enough to get us in the playoffs more often than not but lacks the extra gear to take us to the next step. We are spent to the Cap and should have the team we need by now under him to hunt for the Cup.

If he was a recent hire I'd give him a lot more rope but how many more years does Dough Armstrong need to build a real contender? I love the Blues but I'm not much a believer in him. When he came on board we had issues with offense, today we have the same problem.

It might just be that we need to flush the mid six and lose players like Steen and Schwartz and I'm being silly but I'm watching how other teams are building and I'm like why can't be us? What else does Army need to get us there? Money? Talent? Time?

My comment was originally aimed at Happy saying a Good GM wouldn't meddle. I think Army does and I might be wrong but I'll stand by that.

You really think Army meddles with the lineup? How so? Based on what? I'm not saying your wrong, but I'm asking what evidence your opinion is based on right now? I think more than a few posters have said why he's a good GM, so I don't feel the need right now to post why I think he is because I would agree with most of what they posted. I can if you'd like, just ask.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Which is fair, but he also inherited a one-and-a-half line team with no defensive or goaltending depth. Mark Streit was 37 and was the Flyers top producing defenseman. This was a team relying on Steve Mason as their top goaltender. The flyers needed depth on pretty much all fronts, and they didn't have the prospect depth they have now to make trades work.

While you can't for prospects forever, you still have to take time a lay a foundation, and Hextall did that quite well in my opinion. Besides, Hextall had only been named active GM since May of 2014. The guy only had the team for a little over 4 years before he was canned. Frankly, I think he was the least of the problems the Flyers were facing at the time he was fired.
Yea that's pretty fair. I guess I would have rather seen a scorched earth approach

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
You really think Army meddles with the lineup? How so? Based on what? I'm not saying your wrong, but I'm asking what evidence your opinion is based on right now? I think more than a few posters have said why he's a good GM, so I don't feel the need right now to post why I think he is because I would agree with most of what they posted. I can if you'd like, just ask.

Mainly some of the weird line combinations and games where we've started Allen. Recently Binny has been doing meh so I'm all on board with Allen getting starts, it's just weird choices and decisions I've seen that imo can't just be from the coach. I have nothing to support it ascertain a claim beyond that, just saying what my gut feels.

And fwiw, I am living for the day that Army proves me entirely wrong. He's won some major battles against my opinion, just waiting for him to win the war and Bring the Cup home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad